Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The final hack to use 1,44mg Pc F.disk100% functional  (Read 1933 times)

Description:

Offline JoseamigaTopic starter

• Show only replies by Joseamiga
The final hack to use 1,44mg Pc F.disk100% functional
« on: October 04, 2010, 11:17:37 AM »
Hello. Yesterday I finished a hack that I read in aminet. It spokes of using Pc floppy drives in Amiga computers . I took one of them and got to work. When I connect the drive to one of my Amiga, especially my A600, this could make only one disk read, and also I must introduce it before the boot. That's was a lack, so that I was thinking on how to improve it and I found a simple solution. The case is that now the A600 detects disk swapping and disk hasn´t be inserted before boot. Now the pc disk drive works as a real original Amiga floppy drive. I put here a link to youtube and so you can see how it actually works. The hack was made right on the pinouts of the disk drive and not on the cable as the aminet hack advised. Please, see this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M45gfR6f0yg
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 05:45:41 PM by Joseamiga »

Offline jsixis

• Show only replies by jsixis
Re: The final hack for 1,44mg 100% functional
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 01:33:52 PM »
can you write what you did? I would love to get away from these always failing amiga floppys before they quit making any floppy drives

Offline JoseamigaTopic starter

• Show only replies by Joseamiga
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 05:31:41 PM »
Quote from: jsixis;582876
can you write what you did? I would love to get away from these always failing amiga floppys before they quit making any floppy drives

Hello, it´s very simple. The hack is based in the nomenclature of the pinout of both amiga and pc disk drives. Please, download this hack from aminet and read the "unit 0" section, and try it: http://aminet.net/search?query=pcf2amf.lha . With this hack You´ll never read a new inserted disk , you only can read the first  inserted disk. To solve this problem  you must  modify the disk drive with a one plus electrical bridge . The modified cables always have bad electrical conections unless you weld all the cables and this is a more tedious work. So that I choose to modify the disk drive, you only have to cut and weld only 8 times (4 cables). The final correction to this hack is to weld a electrical bridge between the pin 2 of the disk drive and the HD Disk switcher located right bottom the disk swapper(note that the pin 2 at the cable, could be the pin 1 at the disk drive, we need the signal pins, not the ground pins ). This switcher detects if the disk is HD disk and  has 3 pins, you must select the only one(depending of the mark of the disk drive) that is just the interruptor and  not the ground. (this switch alternates between open or closed ground, just all we need to tell the amiga if a new disk has been inserted). Well, I hope you have understood all my poor english. If somebody is interested on this hack I´ll try to insert photos and comments about how I did it.  Greetings from Spain.

Offline Amigo1

• Show only replies by Amigo1
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 07:14:30 AM »
Thanks, but I need a HD floppy capable drive. I will come back to you if I can't repair the one I have.
greetings to spain!