Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The AmigaOne is NOT "just a Teron board"!  (Read 12875 times)

Description:

Offline YttriumOxTopic starter

• Show only replies by YttriumOx
The AmigaOne is NOT "just a Teron board"!
« on: November 12, 2002, 08:48:14 AM »
I'm getting sick of this, so I've decided to vent my frustrations and I apologize to anyone in advance if this starts a flame war (as it's quite likely to do I'm afraid). :griping:

One of the main arguments I see from people against the AmigaOne is that it's just a rebadged Teron CX or Teron PX.  This is quite simply not true.

The AmigaOne is based on the Teron design, but has several enhancements and modifications that are NOT part of the original Teron specification (although the Teron may have been enhanced to meet these same specs since then, I don't know... but if anything, that makes the Teron a clone of the AmigaOne!)

From Eyetechs site:
Is the AmigaOneG3-SE the same as the MAI Teron Cx? No. During the period leading up to the OS4 development agreement being signed we evaluated the Articia S northbridge chip for possible use in a redesigned AmigaOne. We concluded that it was the most cost-effective chip for the design and proceeded to draw up some new specifications for an uprated, more cost-effectively engineered AmigaOne, the AmigaOneG3-SE. Clearly using the Articia S instead of Escena's custom northbridge design meant that both the schematic design and the PCB layout would be entirely new. MAI logic are a chipset manufacturer, not a PPC motherboard manufacturer, but they had commissioned a low volume, high cost evaluation board, the Teron Cx, to help sell their chipsets. The Teron Cx was never designed to, or intended to, go into volume production. We therefore asked them if they could recommend a design company who was familiar with using the Articia S in PPC motherboard design. They recommended the same (Far Eastern) company that designed their Teron Cx evaluation board.

The new Eyetech AmigaOne design obviously shares a lot of commonality with the Teron Cx board, but more than a cursory glance at the specifications (ATA speed, integrated ethernet, custom firmware, number of active PCI/AGP slots etc) - and the price - of both boards should be enough to convince most people that they really are different designs.

However if you remain unconvinced you are of course perfectly welcome to purchase the Teron Cx evaluation board. It costs $3900, misses many features of the AmigaOneG3-SE, and won't run OS4.

AmigaOneG3SE information at Eyetech's AmigaOne Information page :rtfm:
TeronCX information at MAI's TeronCX Information page :rtfm:

FURTHERMORE, I recently saw a posting here on Amiga.org claiming that Bill McEwen in a recent interview was lying when he said "it's our spec".   Sorry, wrong.  It IS their spec.  The fact that the TeronCX quite closely matched it and didn't need much modification is one of the reasons it was chosen I'd imagine.  If Eyetech built a board that did NOT meet Amiga's spec, it would NOT be an AmigaOne.

And before anyone calls me a "follower of the name" or "a religious nut", I want to point out strongly and clearly that everything I have said above is true and verifiable from multiple sources.  There are only two pieces of "opinion" in the whole thing - the first line where I said I'm sick of this and where I used the words "I'd imagine".

So go stick that in yer pipe and smoke it!  :madashell:

Re: The AmigaOne is NOT "just a Teron board"!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2002, 08:50:30 AM »
whats the differance?...so it has their rom on it... and a few minor changes...it's still the same thing PCI/AGP a PPC solderd on or in the new version socketed... i think theirs a dime's worth of differance between the A1/Pegasos/Teron/etc ...

It's not like it's a 'custom chip' differance... AOS4 could run on a "pegasos' wich is by your logic a 'totally differant' board... claiming some monir details are differant and that you are buying a 'real amiga' isnt that strong an argument when you consider that it dosent have a 'custom chipset' it uses the ArticiaS ...good or bad...it's useing generic PPC hardware..not something they 'engineered' differant.

'their spec' seems like just a generic PPC board useing ArticiaS ...the rest is standerd goods on any board these days... PCI/AGP and of course it needs a PPC cpu as it will be a PPC OS.

It's understandable why people would think their the same (what little differance there is) when you look at the picture's here.

TeronCX

http://www.mai.com/products/teron%20cx.htm

and the AmigaOne on eyetech's site.

http://www.eyetech.co.uk/amigaone/pics/a1g3se_t05ac1.jpg

I dunno what eyetech changed but it dosent look to be much.

It seems like their just volume producing and marketing the TeronCX from this information...they changed very little... although it isnt much...they are somewhat differant in very little ways... the chipset is what matters though....any company can throw together a PPC  board...not any company can engineer a chipset...  :-)   :smack:

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2002, 09:33:45 AM »
Looking at pictures to work out the differences between the boards is perhaps the most stupid Idea i've ever heard.

The teron is a prototype board that was created by MAI, the AmigaOne board has had significant development done on it to get it to where it is, sure its based on a teron board, but then it would have to be teron boards being the mai's developer prototype board.
Of course I would never stop you paying the 6 grand for a teron board thats inferior to the AmigaOne board, infact i'd actually laugh at you as you found out that it is useless as anything other than a prototype board for developers.

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2002, 09:38:26 AM »
I'm not saying the teron board is better...I'm saying the A1 is basically just a minorly modified Teron ...thrown into volume production...and a picture speaks a thousand words... their idential from the chipset  on....

Offline olegil

• Show only replies by olegil
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2002, 11:16:16 AM »
Hint:

Eyetech is MAI's European distributor of TeronCX/PX/AmigaOne boards. The text quoted above should be read as "the AmigaOne released in the future will not be the same as the TeronCX released in the past". By this I mean that if you decide to buy a Linux-only version of the AmigaOne (with ppcboot, but no hardware keys for AOS4) you are effectively purchasing a TeronCX mk x, where x is a bit larger than it was when that text was written. Doesn't mean the text is a lie or anything, but it doesn't mean that the AmigaOneG3-SE and the TeronCX (current revision) aren't identical at the moment either.

Come on, guys. Do some thinking, ok?

Offline newbee

• Show only replies by newbee
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2002, 12:10:09 PM »
Team

Is it a slow news week or is everyone just bored.

Who cares if the AmigaOne is based on a Teron (or even a "Mickey Mouse") board.

The AmigaOne board IS THE AMIGA BOARD, cos it's licensed.

It does not matter where, when or what history a mainboard has; Once it's licensed it IS AN AMIGA.

If Pegasos was suitably licensed, IT TOO WOULD BE AN AMIGA.

All things considered, it is a good mainboard and it is thousands of dollars cheaper then the price of a "Teron" as advertised by MAI.

Now remind me again, what is the problem with the AmigaOne, as I do not care who originally prototyped, named, tested, drew-up, manufatured, distributed or renamed etc the mainboad.

Regards
Darren

P.S. I will not bother with this thread again so feel free to flame away as I will not be responding (get a life!!!)
I\\\'ve never used an Amiga

Convince me....

I am your future :-)

*** News Flash ***
I am now a happy user of UAE, you can now call me \\"convert\\"

Offline Orgin

• Show only replies by Orgin
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2002, 12:14:29 PM »
All the fuss about it just seem plain rediculous. Teron, not teron. So what, it's not like it matters either way. But people just want something to bitch about as usual.

/Björn
Mooh?

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2002, 12:30:03 PM »
The AmigaOne board IS THE AMIGA BOARD, cos it's licensed.

Well, thats a pity, isn't it? I mean that you can call anything "Amiga". I remember a time when the brand "Amiga" stood for exciting technology ...
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline buzz

• Show only replies by buzz
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2002, 01:03:23 PM »
Well, thats a pity, isn't it? I mean that you can call anything "Amiga". I remember a time when the brand "Amiga" stood for exciting technology ...

I totally agree. I think if Amiga Inc had sold a fridge calling it an Amiga there would be a whole line of people ready to buy it.

Mind you.. Im sure Bill would call it "Exciting" Technology and then fleecy would mention the fantastic "Content" :-)

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show only replies by Herewegoagain
    • Http://www.ncscaug.us
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2002, 01:37:58 PM »

You people just have the thickest brains I've ever seen.... Exactly what _in your opinion_ do you concider to be worthy of being called "Amiga Hardware"??????????  Custom designed Zorro bus? Ancient custom chips that cannot even begin to match the performance of todays chip manufacturers products?  Stuff that would have to have millions spent on R&D and manufacturing?  Who is going to fund it?  Who is going to build all of those custom Zorro10000 boards that you dream of?
Certainly not anyone set up to build on todays standards.

If you would get out of your closed little world and look around abit, you might find that there are some exciting technologies, however, they usually get stuffed into a Windows PC which makes them seem dull.  If Amiga had 5 years ago alot of the things that are available now for the PC you would think it was so innovative because is was officially on Amiga first?

I can tell you that I don't use my Amiga3000 on a daily basis because it doesn't keep up with the things I WANT to do.  It's still a fun system to boot up and tinker with, but it's not up to speed for me.   And it's all due to the limited custom hardware... what was once it's strong point for me is now a weakness that holds it back.
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2002, 02:02:09 PM »
yeah in another thread a guys arguing anything that gets an A.inc Rom/Dongle is an AmigaOne because AmigaOne is a spec... I think it is quite a pity that anything this generic can get an Amiga badge... I think Amiga should at least market it as an OS if this the the case..and stop trying to force people to pay premiums for A1....when there are alternatives that are cheaper and better(better bieng relative to the A1 not to computing in general) ....

this 'quality assurance' is the biggest load I've seen the farmer haul in a long time... I thought those days where gone when VMS passed away to Unix and DEC adopted Unix...... but I guess their not...
I remember the whole 'we prefer VMS becase it gives you a more quality expierance then unix could on our hardware...so if you run Unix on our hardware its unsupported' ....

Offline jtsiren

• Show only replies by jtsiren
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2002, 02:15:25 PM »
>You people just have the thickest brains I've ever
> seen.... Exactly what _in your opinion_ do you
>concider to be worthy of being called "Amiga
>Hardware"??????????

Well, for the sake of argument, lets just stick to the word Amiga. I will offer you my opinion on the matter, what is worthy of being called an Amiga. Obviously this is not to question the trademark holders legal right to decide for themselves. It is just my personal opinion on how to preserve (and what is) the value of the trademark.

I think the original point in this thread was well made. It is a pity that just about anything can be called an Amiga these days given sufficient licensing. And people readily accept this as well.

What used to make the word Amiga so special was the fact that it used to represent technological excellence. Yes, the custom chips were one brilliant thing. Today they are a hinderance, sure, but when the Amiga was originally sold it was a strong point - but then, on this we do agree.

Some of what I see now associated with the word Amiga is technology that is not interesting nor exciting nor particularily excellent in my opinion. What we have seen of the AmigaDE is mediocre at best. The AmigaOne represents, in terms of its PC related hardware (old AGP, old USB, etc.), adequate but yesterdays technology. PowerPC is nice, but the arguments for x86 are pretty convincing as well. Name one thing the board has special to warrant calling it Amiga. Why not just call it the Teron-CX.

The point? I think Seehund and his petition have one. There are no more Amigas. Perhaps that is they way it should be, if we want to continue to associate the name with technological excellence. Since it is not feasible to develop new custom chips, one avenue of creating interesting hardware is pretty much closed. Another one, creating something special based on standard parts, like the Pegasos Microwave (but that's just silly) or the eclipsis doesn't seem to be really realistically looked into as a new "Amiga". Something I think should be called an Amiga is something like iMac (just an example of a special design) running AmigaOS even if it was based on standard parts since it had special design and thus is interesting and has some innovation and excellence built in...

AmigaOS on the other hand, could run on supported hardware and they could continue to develop the OS into a direction we and the rest of the marked would associate with similar values as the original Amiga - technological excellence. AmigaOS 4.0 may not get us there yet, but it is a starting point. There, I think, the word Amiga still has a meaning. It is Amiga.

AmigaDE, well, who knows what will come of that but it could get better. So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, which given their track-record is a lot, maybe it will mature some day into something that we can all associate with technological excellence and thus gladly with the name Amiga as well.

But as for Amiga hardware, well, I'm not sure if they are doing the name Amiga any favours by making it synomyous with hardware that is not excellent nor exciting nor interesting except to a few diehards. I'm not saying it won't sell some, and I do appreciate the effort that went into it, but I still wonder if it wouldn't be better to call it something completely else and just let AmigaOS run on it.

That way the name Amiga could continue to mean something it used to mean in the past. Calling something pretty uninteresting Amiga to make it more interesting seems like a pretty short-sighted marketing decision to me. It may damage the trademark. For some, I'm sure it will damage the trademark.

Today the interest is there. People are looking forward to seeing a new Amiga. It will turn heads. But when they see a standard motherboard with yesterdays specs they will no longer continue to associate the Amiga with such technological excellence as they used to. Or at least this is the reaction I fear many will have. Whether or not I'm proven wrong or right remains to be seen.

So, what exactly do I think should be called Amiga? Something special and related to the original Amiga in one form or another. If all they can manage to do in a special way is software like the OS or even the DE, perhaps they should stick to calling that Amiga and making it as special as possible, not everything they can get their licensing policies applied to.

But then, licensing is about money, so I'm sure these concerns will pretty much fall on deaf ears. I hope it is not too shortsighted a view. At least I know many people who pretty much think of the Amiga as a joke nowadays due to all the efforts that have been assocaited with the name in the past... For some, it has ceased to mean anything special.

And that, indeed, like someone posted up there, is a pity.

Offline samface

• Show only replies by samface
    • http://www.mindrelease.net
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2002, 02:48:49 PM »
What most people fail to realize here seems to be the fact that Amiga branded hardware has gone from beeing custom/exotic chipset based to a form of industry standard. However, we're not talking an "open" industry standard here meaning that all Articia & PPC based solutions would run AmigaOS. It's about an "Amiga" standard for Amiga hardware manufacturers. If you are an Amiga hardware manufacturer, the licensing issues are no problem what so ever. On the contrary, they're actually very beneficial as they allow you to become an "official" Amiga hardware manufacturer rather than some clone or accelerator board maker which the OS wasn't made for running on in the first place.

I think this entire discussion is pretty silly. I mean, if Pegasos fans wants AmigaOS4 support, tell that to bPlan. It's plain stupid to hold Amiga Inc. responsible for not supporting their competitors product, you know.
\\"640k ought to be enough for anybody.\\" - Bill Gates, 1981

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2002, 02:57:31 PM »
responsible for not supporting their competitors product, you know.

since when did Amiga.inc make motherboards? since when where they a hardware company at all?... didnt know they competed with hardware companys... this is news to me...i thought they said they would be a 'software only' company and thus would want to sell as much software as possible./ :-o

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2002, 03:51:14 PM »
What I think of as an Amiga has changed over the last couple years. I used to think it was a combination of special hardware and the AmigaOS. After industry standard components surpassed the Amiga chipset, we started seeing Zorro cards intended to replace ECS and AGA, using SVGA chips found in PCs. As these PC chips got further ahead, I started really wanting them, and started really wanting standard PCI slots in my Amiga box.

The reality now is that we cannot have special hardware like we once did. No one will make custom chips for use in Amigas and nothing else, that's a business plan destined for bankruptcy. If someone did make chips for us, based on our specs, but sold them to others as well, that still isn't special Amiga hardware, as selling it to anyone makes it a standard part same as ATI, NVidia or Creative Labs make.  I realized that I wasn't so attached to the idea of having "different" hardware as PC users have, as they now have much better stuff.

I got to thinking, what makes Amiga really special to me is the user experience. What makes up the user experience? The OS is the biggest thing here. Back in the good old days, the custom chips made some of what the OS did possible, and PC chips couldn't do those things. (color palette, stereo sound, etc) Now PC chips can do these things far better than my AGA machine can. "Custom" hardware is no longer a requirement for my user experience. Standard parts cost a lot less, so I'm perfectly happy with the fact that I can now use them.

Is an AmigaOne truely an "Amiga", other than by name? If it provides the user experience I desire, then yes, in my opinion. Will it run the Amiga software I like? Yes. Is it very close to what some people call a TeronCX? Yes. Do I care? Heck no. It will give me more of the Amiga experience I desire than Amithlon or UAE would (I do have some PPC software that these things don't run), so I choose this in preference to the X86 emulators. If I had gone with an emulation, for some of the things I have Amiga-PPC-native, I'd have to reboot into Windows or something like that, and exit the Amiga user experience for those things. So, for my purposes, to maximise my time avoiding the horribly unpleasant (IMHO) Windows user experience, the AmigaOne is the best choice for me.

What more should I need to be content with this thing?