Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sourcing apropriate plastic spacers/seperators/stand-offs for A4000 accelerator.  (Read 1453 times)

Description:

Offline ShadesOfGreyTopic starter

• Show only replies by ShadesOfGrey
I can't justify purchasing a tower case for my A4000 and it's taking up to much space laying on my desk 'horizontally'.  So I decided to try placing on its side, 'vertivcally'.  Unfortunately this causes my GVP 4060 card to creep out of the processor slot.  Which means no boot.

I only have one spacer for the card now.  They're a bit longer than 'standard' AT/ATX spacers.  So I'm hoping a fellow A4000 owner will know where I can get some.

BTW, if anyone has any other suggestions, they'd be welcome.
Unless otherwise explicitly stated, this message is not meant to affirm nor deny, defend nor offend any faction within the \\\'Amiga\\\' Community.

Offline Castellen

You could try the likes of Farnell or RS, they have lots of different PCB mounting spacers.
A good alternative for you would be to use the threaded spacers.
They are basically a short tube with a threaded hole in each end.  You need to put one screw (with a locking washer) in from the underside of the motherboard, and you screw the CPU board in using an extra screw from the top.
The spacer length is 17.5mm.

Offline tonyw

• Show only replies by tonyw
Yep, that's just the problem that I had the week before last, when I put my Ami into a tower. I used the same fix Castellan suggested, cutting down a 25 mm spacer to 17.5 mm. I used insulated M4 spacers and an M4 screw fits through the existing holes just nicely. M3 spacers would be just as good, but you need insulated spacers because of the adjacent tracks.

In my case it fixed an intermittent contact on the long mobo-CPU connector.

tony

I had the same problem once...

I solved it by taking those...hmm.. what's it called.. those small screws on the backside of computer... those you fasten the connectors in when you connect cables to you Amiga. they're like screws in one end, and nuts in the others... If you take four of these and screw them into eachother, they will make the right length. You must find some that fits into eachother though..

And Yeah, i know... badly explained. I hope the point is in there somewhere though.. :-)

Offline Castellen

You mean the nex-nuts that screw in either side of the D-range connectors, all screwed together to make a pillar?
That's a pretty neat idea, never thought of that.
Just need a nut on the underside of the motherboard to hold each pillar in place.

Some LocTite (or other thread glue) between each of the hex nuts would stop them unthreading when you remove the top screw holding in the CPU board.

Offline ShadesOfGreyTopic starter

• Show only replies by ShadesOfGrey
Thanks everyone for all the advice.  I found everything I need at http://www.mouser.com.  If anybody else is looking to get such spacers (in the states anyway), you'll want to look at page 729 of their PDF catalog.

BTW Sharmon, that's one ingenius solution.  If it weren't for the fact that I don't have enough hex nuts (I have ~5 spares), I wouldn't bother ordering the spacers from Mouser...  I even have some LocTite epoxy Castellan suggests using.
Unless otherwise explicitly stated, this message is not meant to affirm nor deny, defend nor offend any faction within the \\\'Amiga\\\' Community.