Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Smallest web and E-Mail server, possible Linux or Windows?  (Read 6614 times)

Description:

Offline Gilthanaz

• Show all replies
I'am hosting a LOT of things for many, many years. From your questions, it appears you do not really have any idea what you want/need/must have to host things (like... games? Why would you want browser games..?). In that case, the only flavour I can recommend is Ubuntu. I've not seen any other *nix flavour in the last ... well, since there IS a *nix flavour thats open source, thats so easy to install and very user friendly, even if the user is not so experienced.

Aaaand... thats pretty much it. Also runs from a 4GB USB Stick. Or even from a DVD (physical read-only for the security win!)

Also, please do not use the words "Server" and "Windows" in the same sentence, unless you're trying to explain to someone that "Server" and "Windows" should not be used in the same sentence; I could already throw up 24/7 reading Microsoft propaganda, about their "Windows" "Server" "operating systems"....

Hardware.. solar powered? Well, it really depens what you mean by that. All my stuff is solar powered, at least while its bright outside ;) But do you mean a stand-alone box with 2 small photovoltaic cells? Like, could also be used for a mobile backbag server? Or do you just mean "very low power consumption" - in that case i can recommend you some hardware that works in the 40W area but provides quite some power per Watt.

Need more details for better answers :D

KR,
Gil