Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Open Source Java  (Read 2547 times)

Description:

Offline smithy

• Show only replies by smithy
Re: Open Source Java
« Reply #29 from previous page: October 28, 2006, 09:05:14 PM »

Karlos wrote:
I wasn't aware you had any control over the internal operation of ClassLoader ? I thought all the low level stuff was private and final?

You can write your own classloaders and override the system's.

Never mind. I'm getting a bit OT :lol:

Not at all OT!  These are all issues that I'm sure the ClassPath team went through during their design process.
 :-)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2006, 09:05:46 PM »
When you say static compiler, do you mean compile to machine code rather than byte code?

Aye, the creation of native object code, rather than bytecode. I guess I could have been clearer about that :-D

Regarding the "not using java" for performance reasons, you might not have the luxury depending on what technologies you were using.

Anyway, it's a moot point. The easiest thing to do is look at the ClassPath sources and see what they did :-D
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2006, 09:08:09 PM »

Interesting. Are there any practical examples of why and how you'd do this?
int p; // A

Offline smithy

• Show only replies by smithy
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2006, 09:27:31 PM »

Karlos wrote:

Interesting. Are there any practical examples of why and how you'd do this?

I've never had the need to do it myself, so I don't know all the ins and outs, but it's a useful abstraction layer.

If you want to store your .class files somewhere else that a default classloader could never find, on a database say, or a on particular place on your network.. your custom classloader might handle the connection and issue SQL, or look in that place on the network.

Or you could support unloading classes that might only be used a few times (depends on your application needs).

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2006, 09:36:50 PM »
Ok, I can see that you can control where a class is loaded from and how, but going back to the earlier point, unless you have control over the physical inspection of the bytecode and it's runtime linkage, surely some inaccessible implemententation part of the main ClassLoader is invoked to do the real work once you have a handle on the file?

What I'm saying is, that implementation detail might be able to differentiate between native and bytecode implemented classes and you yourself would never know (or need to know) if it was native or not. Just musing :-D
int p; // A

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2006, 02:26:04 AM »

Piru wrote:
@Tomas
Is the solaris license even compitable with the linux license?

GPL does not require that applications running on top of GPL operating system are GPL aswell. Read the license.

I am no GPL expert, but i know most linux distros refuse to bundle certain OSS with the distro because of license not being compitable.

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2006, 03:40:16 AM »

smithy wrote:

You are talking about the difference between using a JIT JVM and a non-JIT JVM.  But this has nothing to do at all with GCJ because GCJ is just a compiler - it compiles Java source code into bytecode.  It doesn't attempt to run it, so no JIT is involved or needed.

You can run bytecode created by GCJ on any compliant JVM, JIT or not.  There is no need to recompile it based on whether you use a JIT JVM.

So static or dynamic compilation doesn't really apply here, because one, or both can be done, it's up to you.

My original question was, how does Sun's decision to open up it's JVM impact GCJ, a source-compiler?

The difference is that GCJ can compile bytecode into native binary.  It can also compile source into native binary.  It is a static compiler based on GCC and, as such, is GPL so no Linux distro would need to do without it for reasons of licence incompatibiltiy.