Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Specification  (Read 3297 times)

Description:

Offline Louis Dias

Re: Xbox 360 Specification
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2005, 04:37:52 AM »
The embedded graphics ram is why the Gamecube is a texturing monster and it only had 3MB.  ATI did the GC chip and has implemented it's features into newer chips.  This texture RAM lets the GC do texturizing in one pass vs. two on other chipsets.

Microsoft's X360 just copy's features from the PS2 and GC and throws in XBL and more power.  Even it's ram is coming from NEC who coincidentally is using Mosys memory that all the haters in this thread: http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13903 shot me down for.  For more info see: http://cube.ign.com/articles/611/611577p1.html

Also, the specs listed have been questioned as to accuracy: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=8571

The controller is plain and looks like a Dreamcast controller in a way.  Gee, lets stand it on it's side like the PS2, let's use all the same suppliers as Nintendo so we can actually make an efficient and profitable machine.  Gee let's include wireless controllers like Nintendo has announced.  Oh no, free-online play on Revolution, let's have a free and pay XBL service.

It's a "me too" console.  It will have less power than the other 2.  And luckily, Nintendo isn't showing it's entire hand yet.

I expect the PS3 to be like the PS2.  Difficult to program for in order to thwart piracy and over-hyped.  The PS2 was supposed to have way more power than it has ever shown.  Just like that demo of the 'CELL' shown in Feb.  The PS3 will not have a 10 core 4.6GHz version of CELL.  It's so new, I doubt an effiecient compiler will be around it's first year and a half.  Look at how long Intel's Itanium took to get a decent compiler written for it.

ATI is once again doing the Nintendo chipset which should outperform Microsoft's version.  Probably a 600MHz.  Afterall ATI got dissed in favor of NVidia the first time around.  IBM is once again designing Nintendo's processor with Special Nintendo mods (like the G3 Gekko's faster fsb and altivec instructions in the 'Cube).  I expect a multicore G5/6 that is 100% backwards compatible with it's G3 Gekko.  It's known and it works well.  Probably a 3 GHz and 600MHz fsb to match the GPU.

Nintendo has stated that Revolution will use the GC's api (developers keep costs down since the system is known already) and has also announced backwards compatability with GC software.  They felt this was a key selling point of PS1->PS2.  I agree.  Sony and MS have not announced backwards compatability.

viva la Revolution

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2005, 10:00:31 AM »
@mdma

The 10Mb Edram is on the GPU the 512Mb is unified RAM meaning memory rescources can be shared with GPU or among the 3 dual-threaded CPU cores.

---

To the naysayers, at least with this system we have confirmed specs and featureset.  

Nothing but hype has come out of Sony as yet.  

I cant wait to see just how powerful those 8 Cell-SPE's really are?  From memory, they only contain around 7M logic transistors each and a 4Ghz Cell operates very hot, at 70+ degrees C.  Also the architecture should be fun for traditional programmers to get around.  

I wonder if it'll live up to the hype?

I wouldnt be too surprised to see that Nin's revolution and Xbox360 are one and the same system.  Just marketed in Japan under Nintendo's trusted name.  It could be a win-win for both co's.

hint* - 360 = Revolution...

US prices are:

$360 for the full spec system, with removable Hybrid-HD media.

$299 for the non Hybrid-HD system (which you can add a drive to later)

*Hybrid-HD = a combo of Flash/nand-RAM and traditional magnetic media in one "micro" case.

Offline Animagic

• Show only replies by Animagic
    • http://www.pointer-digital.com
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2005, 10:27:54 AM »
Hmmm...
Sounds good to me already.
3x ppc 3ghz cpus!

Ok, no the stupid question:

Assuming that it will cost about 800eu, so there is no pc that can match that cpu power in this price, is there a way of getting linuxppc on that to run screamnet or something? It would be nice to use it as a renderer (lightwave etc.) next to my pc or amiga :)

:-P
Greek Amiga User Group Amiga Hellas
You can find me on #amigahellas IRC channel on GRnet.

Offline jarrody2k

• Show only replies by jarrody2k
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2005, 01:04:45 PM »

mdma wrote:

Acill wrote:
Thats a typo or something, its got 512MB GDDR3 video RAM from what I understand.

Thats system RAM size.

The GPU has 10MB embedded DRAM

My guess is that it will be like the current X-box which uses Unified Memory Architecture (UMA).  There is no need to upload the textures to the graphics chip like on the PS2.  The 10 megabytes of onchip cache would ideally be able to share memory access to the same 512 meg pool of ram as the CPU does.  And 10 megs of cache is nothing to laugh at.

In contrast, the PS2 has 32 megs of ram, but the graphics chip has its own exclusive pool of 4 megs and the *cache* is measured in *kilobytes*.  Half of this space is taken up by the screen buffers.  That leaves a megabyte or so for textures.  Without texture compression, this means it is unlikely that a whole scene can be rendered without having to stop for texture uploads to occur.  While the processors can be churning away while this happens, the DMA still has only so much bandwidth it can allow.  So it's not the rendering of textured polygons itself that can slow a PS2 game down, but long latencies for memory transfers to the graphics chip memory.

On a PC, the graphics card needs to sport more than enough memory than the whole scene can take up.  This means that it doesn't have to wait for texture and geometry data to make it's way down the AGP bus.  Vertex shaders also mean that most geometry effects can be done completely on chip, rather than modifying the geometry on the CPU and then uploading it to the graphics card.  You know when your cards exausted it's memory when you've set the texture settings way high and suddenly everything goes at 10 fps (especially when looking around the scene).

Xbox has the best solution, and it looks like the 360 follows the same idea.  It's a little like onboard graphics on nForce boards and such (I believe the Xbox board was based around the nForce design? not sure?), but the memory access is split up nicely between the CPU/graphics/sound hardware... not sure how it all works.  I just know that this is a very sound way to run a console.  (Wasn't Amiga a big proponent of UMA?)

Sorry in advance, for any mistakes or misrepresentations.

Jarrod

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2005, 01:00:32 AM »
Compare with this: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=8658

from the wording, it seems each of the 4 cores will have it's own 128k L1 cache and they will share 512k L2 cache.

also, Revolution seems to have an extra 6MB of eDRAM (10 vs. 16) and a dual core ATI RN520.

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2005, 01:11:13 AM »

jarrody2k wrote:

mdma wrote:

Acill wrote:
Thats a typo or something, its got 512MB GDDR3 video RAM from what I understand.

Thats system RAM size.

The GPU has 10MB embedded DRAM

My guess is that it will be like the current X-box which uses Unified Memory Architecture (UMA).  There is no need to upload the textures to the graphics chip like on the PS2.  The 10 megabytes of onchip cache would ideally be able to share memory access to the same 512 meg pool of ram as the CPU does.  And 10 megs of cache is nothing to laugh at.

In contrast, the PS2 has 32 megs of ram, but the graphics chip has its own exclusive pool of 4 megs and the *cache* is measured in *kilobytes*.  Half of this space is taken up by the screen buffers.  That leaves a megabyte or so for textures.  Without texture compression, this means it is unlikely that a whole scene can be rendered without having to stop for texture uploads to occur.  While the processors can be churning away while this happens, the DMA still has only so much bandwidth it can allow.  So it's not the rendering of textured polygons itself that can slow a PS2 game down, but long latencies for memory transfers to the graphics chip memory.

On a PC, the graphics card needs to sport more than enough memory than the whole scene can take up.  This means that it doesn't have to wait for texture and geometry data to make it's way down the AGP bus.  Vertex shaders also mean that most geometry effects can be done completely on chip, rather than modifying the geometry on the CPU and then uploading it to the graphics card.  You know when your cards exausted it's memory when you've set the texture settings way high and suddenly everything goes at 10 fps (especially when looking around the scene).

Xbox has the best solution, and it looks like the 360 follows the same idea.  It's a little like onboard graphics on nForce boards and such (I believe the Xbox board was based around the nForce design? not sure?), but the memory access is split up nicely between the CPU/graphics/sound hardware... not sure how it all works.  I just know that this is a very sound way to run a console.  (Wasn't Amiga a big proponent of UMA?)

Sorry in advance, for any mistakes or misrepresentations.

Jarrod

We call it chipram! :-D

Offline kd7ota

• Show only replies by kd7ota
    • http://www.qrz.com
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2005, 01:18:32 AM »
PS3 won't eat the Xbox 360 alive, it will be long dead before it ever gets a chance.  :-)

Funny how there is still people out there hating a product just because Microsoft released it. Xbox stomps PS2 by miles. Dreamcast whomps on a PS2 anyday.

Meh, im not here to start warz. Only opinions.  :-D  :-)

So heres the deal. You buy what you want, and keep it to yourself!  :-)
-=-=-=-=-=-
Mine!  :-D

Offline jarrody2k

• Show only replies by jarrody2k
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2005, 11:08:36 AM »

kd7ota wrote:
PS3 won't eat the Xbox 360 alive, it will be long dead before it ever gets a chance.  :-)

Funny how there is still people out there hating a product just because Microsoft released it. Xbox stomps PS2 by miles. Dreamcast whomps on a PS2 anyday.

Meh, im not here to start warz. Only opinions.  :-D  :-)

So heres the deal. You buy what you want, and keep it to yourself!  :-)

You're right, as only opinion, such words from yourself and others about performance really aren't going to determine final sales figures.  The PS3 has unbelieveable peak performance, but as with the PS2 (but to a lesser degree), it's very hard to achieve anywhere near peak.  In fact it takes years to manipulate the architecture to it's ideal usage.  For years now, people have been trying to push more out of the PS2.  This anal pursuit of performance by PS3 is somewhat like they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Though, with the PS2, Sony had the back-catalogue of PS1 titles to offer.  Backwards compatibility is excelent.  I heard they promised this with the PS3.  As long as emulation doesn't blow out the timeline of the PS3, it may add some value to their product.  And they have to, because with unique hardware for each new generation, they have *completely* different APIs.

With an XBOX game, you theoretically only need the new XDK with the newer version of DirectX, and with some tweaking (while never trivial with any upgrade) the game will run.  So even without backwards compatibility, the XBOX has a real chance of having an extensive catalogue of games to sell with their new machine (though people may be cheesed at having to throw away their old games).

Ease of development, however, is always on the Xbox's side.  PS3 like PS2, will almost be solely reliant on various 3rd party middleware.  And even then, to really have some ground breaking features on the box, low-level programming will be needed.  But the amount of titles alone aren't going to sell the machine..

Both Sony and Microsoft are excellent marketers, so first blood will be important.  Who can come out first with a reasonable amount of killer titles will get the glutony of initial sales.

Both machines are somewhat equally specced and have similar targets.  So both companies are likely to get a fair markup on the retail price.  Though perhaps their marketing ploy will be to use the actual box as a loss leader?   Xbox was forced to do this due to high production costs.

Which means money comes down to inhouse published titles... and with rubbish figures floating around like 150-200 AUD per high-quality 3rd-generation game, I wonder how many people are going to be sold on the idea that high realism = better game = value per dollar.  It may be that these machines will be before their time!

It will be a slow start for these giants, and there will be tears no doubt.  As for who will win?  In war, there are only losers.

Jarrod

Offline Phoenix

• Show only replies by Phoenix
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2005, 12:14:20 PM »
Looks like a SKY+ box to me!!, I like my XBOX for gaming but it's no sub for a good Multimedia machine.
Rising from the ashes
Base the hardware on the future and use the convictions of the past..

Offline strobe

• Show only replies by strobe
    • http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:7XQQZXN3cS4C:www.amiga.com/corporate/amigadepartypack.shtml
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2005, 08:44:49 AM »
IBM is once again designing Nintendo's processor with Special Nintendo mods (like the G3 Gekko's faster fsb and altivec instructions in the 'Cube).

WTF are you talking about?!

You make yourself look quite foolish when you say things like "altivec instructions in the 'Cube." As for the FSB, the reason the FSB sucks on the G3/G4 is due to the MAXbus.

Offline samanosuke

• Show only replies by samanosuke
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2005, 12:38:30 PM »

Phoenix wrote:
Looks like a SKY+ box to me!!, I like my XBOX for gaming but it's no sub for a good Multimedia machine.

What are you talking about? I have some 80 odd Divx films occupying my Xbox HDD along with hundreds of CDs. Not to mention almost every game for every console. The Xbox rocks at multimedia.

Back onto topic everyone I speak to is excited about 360 so I reckon Sony need to release the PS3 as soon as they can, even if it means rushing the development, or else they will be left for dead.
My Amigas: A4000 w/CS Mk II \'060, Picasso IV, 128Mb, OS3.9
Stock A4000 040 w/16Mb, OS3.0

Offline asian1Topic starter

• Show only replies by asian1
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2005, 05:02:27 PM »
Nintendo plan to launch their new console next week. The product will be released to the market in 2006.
Does the new console use Quad Cores PowerPC G5?

From Reuters:

Nintendo Co. will launch its new video game console sometime next year, missing the key 2005 holiday shopping season and putting it a step behind Microsoft Corp. in the battle for the next-generation game machine, the Nihon Keizai Shimbun reported on Saturday. The report comes two days after Microsoft announced its new console, called Xbox 360, will be in stores in time for the 2005 year-end shopping season, giving it a head-start on the competition if Sony Corp. and Nintendo don't introduce their new consoles until next year.  The Nihon Keizai said it obtained the information from Nintendo on Friday, without citing sources. Nintendo has not officially set a date for its next generation console, code-named "Revolution," although a 2006 launch has been widely expected.
Nintendo officials were not immediately available for comment.
Based in the ancient Japan capital of Kyoto, Nintendo was the dominant brand in home video game consoles for much of the 1980s and early 1990s until Sony entered the market with its PlayStation and Microsoft later introduced its Xbox machine. Nintendo has said that Revolution will be ready for wireless Internet gaming and be backward-compatible with the current generation GameCube, which is now in third place in the console market behind Sony's PlayStation 2 (PS2) and the Xbox.
The new console will be powered by a chip developed by IBM code-named "Broadway" and a graphics processor from ATI Technologies Inc. code-named "Hollywood."  Revolution will use 12 cm optical discs and be about the size of three DVD cases stacked together, the Nihon Keizai said.
Sony has not said when it will release its next-generation console, tentatively named PS3, although industry watchers generally expect it to hit stores sometime next year.  Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are expected to show off their next-generation gaming consoles to developers next week at the annual Electronics Entertainment Expo, or E3, as all three companies seek to entrench themselves deeper into living rooms with advanced computing, graphics and multimedia features.

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2005, 06:25:18 PM »

strobe wrote:
IBM is once again designing Nintendo's processor with Special Nintendo mods (like the G3 Gekko's faster fsb and altivec instructions in the 'Cube).

WTF are you talking about?!

You make yourself look quite foolish when you say things like "altivec instructions in the 'Cube." As for the FSB, the reason the FSB sucks on the G3/G4 is due to the MAXbus.

And WTF are you getting pissy at me for?
http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.html?i=1566 and
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,29619,00.asp

The 'Cube's version has some SIMD instructions thrown in.  It's easier to say to the masses that it's altivec to get the point across.  And the 'Cube's bus is 165Mhz.  It can run at just over 200 but... http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-503797.html?legacy=zdnn

Also, I've seen pictures on a website that opened up the cube and found that the GPU was actually the 202.5 MHz version...later on in a more 'official' website, I saw pictures of the 162 MHz version...  Nintendo is tightly lipped about all their system's true performance.  It's own site lists: Main memory bandwidth : 2.6GB/second (Peak) yet other sites have said it can do 3.2...  Nintendo always downplays it's systems' true power and are still doing this even with Revolution...

That's a big problem on this site.  Everyone is ready to start a flame war over the slightest wording in a post... Sad...

Offline asian1Topic starter

• Show only replies by asian1
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2005, 12:33:59 AM »
Todd Holmdahl, the designer of Xbox 360 chipset:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/612/612995p1.html

"We want to design the most powerful, elegant and useful design for developers to create games with Xbox 360," said the impressively tall, lanky Holmdahl. "With the Xbox we had a merchant semi-conductor relationship. With Xbox 360 we have designed and own the chipset, so we can go to whomever we want with it. We're not paying Intel and Nvidia this time," he explained, referring to the exorbitant price paid out each time an Xbox was manufactured.

The heart of Microsoft's new system is the CPU, a triple core of 3.2 GHz processors, each capable of running two threads simultaneously, meaning the CPU can generate six threads at once. This power enables, among other things, programmers to give an immense amount of commands to the Central Processing Unit without strain. It also provides programmers with the ability to invent new algorithms in the future, giving them a healthy flexibility in the way they code games. General memory bandwidth is 5.4 GHz, with 21.6 gigabytes per second on the frontside bus connecting the CPU and the GPU.

The CPU is an amazing piece of technology, as it's built with 165 million transistors in it, many the size of mere nanometers. IBM had three plants working on the development of the chips.

The CPU is joined by the GPU, the Graphic Processing Unit, which handles the graphic output of the system (and which has 150 million transistors in it), the Southbridge, which enables all of the Ethernet and controller issues, and the TV encoder, which handles resolution issues, such as progressive scan, interlacing and other TV related issues.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2005, 12:51:30 AM »

Offline fx

• Show only replies by fx
    • UHC Tools
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 15, 2005, 02:48:08 AM »
People seem to be missing the important part here and that is which system has the best games?

And we all know the answer to that: Nintendo :)
Slightly bored and severly confused..