Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Features of Future OS  (Read 1004 times)

Description:

Offline asian1Topic starter

• Show only replies by asian1
Features of Future OS
« on: May 02, 2005, 05:16:50 PM »
There is an article from OSNews about possible feature of Future OS:

1) The shift of the graphics subsystem from 2D to use of the 3D coprocessors. This one is just starting and we haven't seen it's full effects yet.
2) Virtualization. Xen is going to have a big impact in the long run. This both a local concept for security or server farms, and a global one - grid computing. Vanderpool.
3) The concept of network storage, SAN and NAS. This is now evolving into global file systems.
4) Stateless Linux, https://listman.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-September...
I think this one will have a big impact in the next few years.
5) Web distributed computing. HTML and now SOAP. Even though this is at the app level it is a distributed storage system.
6) Googlizing the file system. Sooner or later we are going to merge SQL and the file system.
7) USB is a major step forward. There are 1000's of USB gadgets. This didn't even exist ten years ago. I still am amazed at what is being done with USB. http://www.realmsys.com/
8) Networking and IPV6, NAT, the fact that we have a planetary network that works. 10Gb ethernet, broadband. Peer to peer networking.

Is it possible to create modern AmigaOS with the above features?

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
Re: Features of Future OS
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 07:10:15 PM »
Let's get OS 4 out the door before we start worrying about OS 5.

But since you asked I think asymmetric multiprocessing (grid computing) will become a reality on the LAN level before the global filesystem takes hold.

I doubt there will be any productive advantage to a 3D accelerated OS but I think some good old-fashioned screen dragging will make a comeback.

As for the merged SQL with the filesystem I don't think that will hit Amiga until SQL or MySQL or some equivalent is ported to Amiga OS 4.