Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: IBM Plan to Sell IBM PC Company.  (Read 1012 times)

Description:

Offline asian1Topic starter

• Show only replies by asian1
IBM Plan to Sell IBM PC Company.
« on: December 04, 2004, 02:30:06 AM »
Hi
IBM plan to sell IBM PC Co that sell X86 PCs.
Does this mean IBM will focus its product on PowerPC, Power, Mainframe and super computers?
Is this an end to IBM PC era? (24 years)

===============================================
ZDNET.CO.UK:

It looks increasingly likely that the company that brought us the personal computer as we know it is going to sell off its PC unit, possibly to Chinese group Lenovo.

IBM, which gave legitimacy to the personal computer business in the 1980s, is said to be negotiating the sale of its PC unit in a move that could reshape the industry.

The company is negotiating with Chinese manufacturer Lenovo Group, formerly known as Legend, and at least one other buyer to sell its PC business unit, according to a report in Friday's New York Times. The unit could fetch as much as $2bn, the report said. IBM spokesperson Clint Roswell on Friday said that the company's policy is not to comment on rumour or speculation. Representatives at Lenovo were not available to comment.

Exiting the PC business or establishing a joint venture in China would make sense for both companies, analysts said.

Such a deal would free IBM, which has been moving away from commodity products, from managing a difficult and often money-losing venture, while still giving it access to desktops and notebooks to provide to its customers.

"The PC business is a sort of also-ran, me-too sort of business [for IBM]. There are a lot better businesses, including global services and some of the larger computers, that IBM participates in," said Roger Kay, an analyst with IDC. An agreement would "get IBM out of what they think of as a non-strategic, non-yielding business".

Other analysts said that a joint venture, rather than an outright sale, would make more sense for IBM. "While we believe IBM is seeking to enhance [its PC group's] profits, Big Blue may not elect to sell the entire business and could structure a creative deal in pieces or in terms of distribution," said a research note released Friday by UBS Securities analysts.

Offline neofree

• Show only replies by neofree
Re: IBM PC Company For Sale.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 03:14:11 AM »
If you can change the title, I would change it to:

IBM to sell it's PC Business

Your title made me think you were selling just any IBM PC business (Like mom and pops PC store for sale), not *IBM* selling off the original PC business.

I know this isn't Amiga/Commodore, but interesting enough.  Might want to post it as news.

Thanks,

Neofree

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
Re: IBM Plan to Sell IBM PC Company.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 07:09:09 AM »

a difficult and often money-losing venture

Why pay $2bn to buy a business that loses money?
It was the losses of the PC side of the business that killed C= and Escom.  No wonder IBM want rid.

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 07:41:23 AM »
Very interesting item, thank you.

Let it be known:

The Reign of X86 will end.
The Future is PPC!  
IBM has a company mandate to replace Windoze with Linux!
They hope to be Windoze Free by 2006.

Open Source is the Messiah!

:-o

magnetic
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004, 07:44:28 AM »
Especially when you look at thier prices and hardware build.  We had several 1Ghz PL3000's at work, and they were CRAP.

True, they could get a replacement unit to you next day, no questions asked, but they were still crap.

IBM has a company mandate to replace Windoze with Linux!

Yeah, but they only sell pre-pacakged services that run on servers, where platform support is a vertical monopoly, anyway.  Hardly anybody in the server market other than huge corporations with license deals use Microsoft for anything.

I'll be impressed when Linux gets more than 1% share in the desktop market.  I'm a script programmer, and still only 0.5 percent of my visitors use anything other than Windows (96%) or Mac (3%).

PS - I did get about 150 hits from Amiga users, which is still half as many as Dreamcast users.  :-)