Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Gamepack install problems  (Read 2232 times)

Description:

Offline sackbut3Topic starter

• Show only replies by sackbut3
Amiga Gamepack install problems
« on: November 12, 2002, 07:28:52 PM »
I purchased the downloadable version of the Amiga Gamepack from their site today, but the downloaded file comes with a ".php" extension and my pc tries to open Photo Parade.  It's supposed to be an ".exe" file but I can't get it to run.  Anyone have any ideas?

Sackbut

Offline seer

• Show only replies by seer
Re: Amiga Gamepack install problems
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2002, 08:38:19 PM »
.php ? Isn't that a script file ? Tried to open it with a text editor or a Web browser ? (Just guessing here, never seen AA software :-? )
~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~

Offline jumpship

• Show only replies by jumpship
    • http://onlyamiga.kicks-ass.net
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2002, 08:40:48 PM »
This btw is comming from someone who has never used or even seen AA, but I assume you are running it on the Windows AA Player?

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2002, 03:14:13 AM »

seer wrote:
.php ? Isn't that a script file ? Tried to open it with a text editor or a Web browser ? (Just guessing here, never seen AA software :-? )

Yes, that's what I thought too.  For some reason it downloads with that extension and I haven't had any success changing the name, etc.  It's a real drag.  I thought I could just rename it and add ".exe" at the end but stupid "winblows" keeps tacking on ".php" no matter what and associates it with Photo Parade.

Sackbut

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2002, 03:16:22 AM »

jumpship wrote:
This btw is comming from someone who has never used or even seen AA, but I assume you are running it on the Windows AA Player?

No i'm gong to run it on a PocketPC running WindowsCE as soon as I can install it  {ragafraggafriggin thing!}

Sackbut

Offline CodeSmith

• Show only replies by CodeSmith
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2002, 03:16:32 AM »
@sackbut

Have you tried opening a dos shell window (C:\ prompt) and renaming it that way?  I know the windows gui can be a pain, but doing it 'the hard way' usually works.

Edit - are you sure you're not supposed to open that file inside some other program (AA player maybe? I've never used it), I would be surprised if you could just rename it .exe

Offline seer

• Show only replies by seer
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2002, 08:52:07 AM »
You sure you downloaded the correct file, not the webpage ? (I'm thinking you right-clicked and choose "save as" on a button called download, but that button is actually a redirect to a SQL query that's loaded into a webpage.)

As for the renaming part, Windows can be set not to show the extension of (known) files. When you rename files you can't rename the .exe or .jpg part. Maybe the file is called downloaded.php.htm or something like that. Still guessing here tho on both parts.
~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~

Offline J

• Show only replies by J
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2002, 08:59:52 AM »
i agree with Seer.

I think you've downloaded the webpage rather than the actual file. I've done this myself a few times  :-o  :-)

Cheers,

J

Offline lorddef

• Show only replies by lorddef
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2002, 09:09:29 AM »
You could always try uploading the php to a web server and then run it to see if you can access the download you should have got, but I think some sort of autherisation will be required to access the SQL thats not directly in the php.  You can always try, I think you would be best to contact AA about it though.
Restraining orders are just another way of saying I love you!

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2002, 04:44:59 PM »

CodeSmith wrote:
@sackbut

Have you tried opening a dos shell window (C:\ prompt) and renaming it that way?  I know the windows gui can be a pain, but doing it 'the hard way' usually works.

VOILA!   That worked!  Had to go back to the roots of windows...DOS and properly rename the file.  What a great windowing system...one that doesn't let you rename the files properly and retains the wrong associations even if you try.  Ahhh  technology.  NOT

Sackbut