Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 4000T Flyer with CF or SD cards  (Read 11108 times)

Description:

Offline Mediasig

• Living in the past and making the future.
    • Show all replies
Re: 4000T Flyer with CF or SD cards
« on: July 16, 2020, 06:44:12 AM »
I finally got something that works by trial and error.  I'm no expert at Amiga workings - was always a user and not much of a tinkering kind when I first had one.  Now I tinker during the long wet winters here in Vancouver, BC.

I picked up an A4000 with a VT4000 and Flyer Card - had always wanted one and got a good deal on it.  I started with this SCSI2SSD card, but found it was too slow for the video media drives.  It IS fast enough to use as the Audio Drive (C or I think SCSI 2 on the board).

I then purchased 2 x SCSI2SSD V6 and installed them as the A and B drive chains on SCSI 0 an 1 of the Flyer board.

I had okay success with these as I could get them to consistently work in the Extended record mode, but rarely got Standard to work, not to mention HQ5.  I was puzzled and tried different settings for the SCSI2SD board bios and even tried to format them differently using the Flyer Drive utility.  Nothing seemed to work.  I was thinking I needed to go the SCSI to IDE to CF car route.

Then, I realized something.  I had bought really cheap SD cards thinking "this should be plenty fast".  I saw some 16gig SanDisk Extreme PLUS SD cards on sale and decided to grab a pair to give a try.

That seemed to fix it!  I could now record HQ5 and consistently.  In fact (I'll have to go back and check), but I was able to get the SCSI2SD bios back to defaults and all worked fine.  So it seems like the ability of the SD card was holding me back.  I'm super happy with it and glad to have a working flyer with no external drive stacks and cables!!

I've included a few shots of how I've placed everything inside my machine.  I literally wrapped the cards in the excess scsi ribbon cable to shield them from shorting out on anything else.  I'll probably do a little more to tidy up at some point, but this thing doesn't move around and I try to keep the lid on it as much as possible!  :)

Well, I hope this gives some insight into my ups and downs with Flyer drives!  Once you get through that mess, then the creative fun begins.
I guess my question would be, do any of you have a Flyer board capable of HQ6?  I completely forgot NewTek developed it, but learned only later revisions of the boards could handle HQ6.  Unfortunately, while playing with a script that attempted to capture at HQ6, it proved mine cannot capture that high.  No worries, as HQ5 has been looking pretty stellar for Standard Def video.

Cheers!
Greg

« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 07:08:11 AM by Mediasig »

Offline Mediasig

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 04:29:42 AM »
My only guess would be to see if it shows up as an option in your record panel.  Otherwise, I'm not sure how to identify it on the actual card.

Offline Mediasig

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 08:09:35 AM »
Thanks for the explanation regarding the CF solution.

I'll probably stick with the SD card setup for now.  I'm easily capturing HQ5 with them and my source captures are only 3-4 minutes at most.  I'll get a hiccup from time to time, but that's been rare in capturing.  This is a hobby and the stuff I'm making is for 1990's throwbacks and nostalgia.

I'm happy to give further insight if anyone is looking for it.

Cheers,
Greg

Offline Mediasig

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 05:04:04 AM »

I'd love to know what parameters you're using in SCSI2SD to get this working.

I don't have my system up at the moment, but I seem to remember using default on the SCSI2SD to make it work.  I would try all kinds of combinations before the SD card combination suggested in my photos.  Then it worked with just the defaults, and I stopped trying anything else.

Also, regarding HQ6.  I have the Millenium software package that includes many tools and add-ons written for the Flyer.  One included a digitizer that allowed for the selection of HQ6.  I tried a capture with it, but I got scrambled video (with audio if I remember correctly).  So, I just assumed maybe my board couldn't handle it.  Perhaps it can and maybe my SD card setup isn't fast enough.  Would be great to find out more.

Cheers,
Greg