Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Hyperion and Cloanto allegedly close to finalizing settlement"  (Read 39503 times)

Description:

Offline TygreTopic starter

"Hyperion and Cloanto allegedly close to finalizing settlement"
« on: February 02, 2020, 11:34:55 PM »
Hi all!

Finally, the end is in sight? ;)

"Business representatives of Hyperion, Cloanto, and C-A Acquisitions, Inc. have been engaged in several days of intensive face-to-face settlement discussions in Europe geared toward a global resolution of all claims [...]. Hyperion, Cloanto, and C-A Acquisitions, Inc. are finalizing changes to a negotiated term sheet, which they anticipate will soon be executed."

One more week! ;D

Cheers!

Re: "Hyperion and Cloanto allegedly close to finalizing settlement"
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 03:49:01 AM »
@Matt_H @Thomas Richter

Don't feed the Troll ::)

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 03:46:43 AM »
http://www.aros.org/documentation/users/faq.php#why-are-you-only-aiming-for-compatibility-with-3-1
http://www.aros.org/introduction/status/everything.php

Hi Minuous!

Thanks for pointing to these pages, very interesting 8)

The choice of AROS to consider only 3.1 is well explained on the first page and, amusingly, explains that "the discussions ended in either flame wars or reiteration of the arguments."... Same as here ;)

Cheers!

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 06:03:18 PM »
@Tygre

See what ya started here mate? Only you have the power to stop it!   8)

Hi giZmo350!

I wish I could ;D

Cheers!

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 02:14:24 AM »
Hi all!

The discussion is now completely off-topic... Could moderators create a thread dedicated to open-sourcing (or not) AmigaOS and move there most of the posts in this thread, starting with the post #17?

On the topic of open-source, this article from Ars Technica summarises very well the different open-source licenses. This is a must-read for anyone who wants to contribute to this thread! ;D

Regarding the need to keep AmigaOS closed source, two thoughts:
  • The difficulty to fork, compile, change the code would probably prevent "silly" forks;
  • Even if some developers managed to fork the code:
    • Their changes are beneficial and users will use them.
    • Their changes are silly and nobody will care.

With an open-source license (copyleft), beneficial changes would/could be integrated back into the "main" repo., thus benefitting everyone, without creating too much "noise". 8)

Are there any other reasons for which the code should not be open-souce? (Not talking about legalese here, I'm talking about serious ;) management, community, and-or technical issues.)

Cheers!

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 04:08:38 AM »
beneficial changes would/could be integrated back into the "main" repo.

thats probably the very philosophy behind forks and pull requests on github, right?

My thoughts exactly! :)

Cheers!

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 03:38:07 AM »
I f I were mod, I would ban Kolla forever just like mods on eab did. That would be good start.

Hi Utri007!

Yes, I totally agree! Unfortunately, there is no moderation here right now, short of contacting directly Trevor when things really go too far :-\

Take care!
Tygre