Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Hyperion and Cloanto allegedly close to finalizing settlement"  (Read 38883 times)

Description:

Offline Minuous

Re: "Hyperion and Cloanto allegedly close to finalizing settlement"
« Reply #14 from previous page: February 23, 2020, 11:18:48 PM »
All Cloanto has done is keep Amiga alive by selling legal ROMs and paying for improvements to those ROMs and other system files over time.  Hence the 3.X OS designation...as in 3.10 because X=10 because it's an improvement over 3.9.

That's nonsense. I have not seen anywhere where they claim it is supposed to be version three point ten. You can even check their page at https://www.amigaforever.com/kb/15-107 where no such claim is made. Also you can check the version numbers and dates of OS3.X components to see that they are just various random old versions thrown together.

Please tell me how their frankenstein mess of mismatched obsolete OS components is an improvement over 3.9. Anyone can take 3.9, remove half and overwrite half of what remains with with 3.5 versions, causing all kinds of compatibility issues for users and developers. That's more like vandalism than software development. And they certainly haven't improved any part of the OS themselves; what component are you claiming they have upgraded? They don't have source code for any AmigaOS version (including "their" AmigaOS 3.X) nor apparently any Amiga developers on their staff.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 05:45:08 AM by Minuous »

Offline Minuous

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2020, 07:38:03 PM »
@Louis Dias:

How could that possibly work? Cloanto don't have the source code, nor any legal right to develop new versions of AmigaOS.

Offline Minuous

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2020, 08:18:35 PM »
But the licence has not been withdrawn, so obviously OS3.1.4 could not have been done as a Cloanto project.

Mike does not develop Amiga software right now.
He lives in part by licensing Commodore stuff. He is charging money for Amiga Forever and licensing roms.
The only development he does is on the emulation wrapper he provides, and even that, I believe is outsourced.

It turns out that even the emulation wrapper stuff was not actually paid for by Cloanto, but by Trevor Dickinson. https://www.exec.pl/article.jsp?nid=189&Amiga_present_and_future:_interview_with_Trevor_Dickinson
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 08:34:40 PM by Minuous »

Offline Minuous

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2020, 08:38:42 AM »
As pointed out by your fellow despoiler Minuous, Trevor has also been supporting Cloanto financially

That was in 2007, according to the linked article, so presumably it was not done as some kind of anti-Hyperion measure.

Offline Minuous

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2020, 11:32:33 AM »
@kolla:

My point was that Cloanto have not put their money into development of anything, not even Amiga Forever.

I don't know what other point you thought I was trying to make.

Offline Minuous

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2020, 12:56:23 AM »
There is plenty of development of OS3.2 going on; however I'm not inclined to bother sharing details on a site that is full of trolls and essentially unmoderated.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 12:58:01 AM by Minuous »