Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bounty for MorphOS port on PowerMac G5  (Read 25891 times)

Description:

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
Re: Bounty for MorphOS port on PowerMac G5
« Reply #59 from previous page: November 03, 2012, 08:47:24 AM »
Aren't G3s "oldworld" Macs ? Read Macs that don't use OpenFirmware ?

What kind of GFX chips are utilizied in there ? PCI-ATI-Rage or even more obsolete ?

Sounds like a lot of work for me....

On the other hand:
32MB VMEM MacMini (still much better than anything Rage) go for around 100Euro.
400-800MHz PowerMacs can be had for as little as 40Euro (often less), sure they often also feature an ATI-Rage, but atleast it's AGP and can be easily upgraded to something more sensible.
And finally, the iBook-model Geit demoed both on the last 2 Geit@home and in Bad Bramstedt rarely goes over 100Euro these days (and there is a good chance that some even older/cheaper models will also turn out supported).

Or in short:
G3-Mac-support == total waste of time !
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2012, 09:14:05 AM »
Some G3s are Old World (the Beige Power Mac G3 and G3 All-In-One and pre-Lombard PowerBooks,) but most are Open Firmware. As far as I know, all the New World G3s use ATI Rage-series graphics (except the Blue & White Power Macs, which support a variety of PCI video cards.)

It is true that some MorphOS hardware can be had for a fairly modest price, but 100EUR is still a far cry from what you can get G3 hardware for - I got the Lombard for $10, and again, I could go on eBay and purchase a 400/500MHz Pismo, buy a MorphOS license for it, and total about what a lot of PowerBook G4s go for. I just think it would help lower the barrier-to-entry even further.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline IggyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2012, 10:43:47 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;713730
Some G3s are Old World (the Beige Power Mac G3 and G3 All-In-One and pre-Lombard PowerBooks,) but most are Open Firmware. As far as I know, all the New World G3s use ATI Rage-series graphics (except the Blue & White Power Macs, which support a variety of PCI video cards.)

It is true that some MorphOS hardware can be had for a fairly modest price, but 100EUR is still a far cry from what you can get G3 hardware for - I got the Lombard for $10, and again, I could go on eBay and purchase a 400/500MHz Pismo, buy a MorphOS license for it, and total about what a lot of PowerBook G4s go for. I just think it would help lower the barrier-to-entry even further.

I don't know, John.
I purchased my first MorphOS system, a Power mac Quicksilver for $19.95.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2012, 04:00:25 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;713718
Then you are True Faithful, and the spirit of Richard Stallman shall guide your soul in the afterlife.

Or, in the sphere of reality, a closed source commercial software develops its product then SELLS it in the marketplace, thus determining whether their efforts at development were warranted.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2012, 04:08:01 PM »
Quote from: runequester;713719
Wasnt there issues with the built-in monitor for the emac not being that great? And thats before factoring in a 10 year old CRT lifespan..

Yep, aside of only having 32Mb of Video RAM, the monitors began to get darker over time and display less sharp. I had gutted mine and hooked it up to an LCD flat screen, but still, with only 32Mb Video RAM I was limited in what all I could do.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline IggyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2012, 07:27:13 PM »
Well, since Fraggle announced he would match 1500 euros when that was reached, it looks like the bounty is complete.

Hows that for quick?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline kd7ota

• Show only replies by kd7ota
    • http://www.qrz.com
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2012, 07:48:28 PM »
Quick enough that most Amiga OS4 users will be hurting. :)  They got a broken Firefox port and we will get a working MOS G5 system. :D
-=-=-=-=-=-
Mine!  :-D