Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga upgrade after over 20 years  (Read 672 times)

Description:

Offline jcrubinTopic starter

• Show only replies by jcrubin
Amiga upgrade after over 20 years
« on: April 09, 2018, 02:32:04 PM »
After receiving my long awaited package from Individual computers I do an unboxing, preparation and installation of my new ACA500+ upgrade for my Amiga 500+.  This first means actually doing a downgrade first, removing the old acceleration and re-adding the original 68000.  I first make sure everything works after the downgrade before installation.

Following a brief exploration of the menu I choose F7 which allows for a boot with all of the workbench disks mounted virtually so that a hard drive install can be accomplished.  So I add a CF card into the boot side and continue.

I did not choose the correct CF card for this, nor did I choose the best partition strategy,  but this was a first go around, something I will correct in the next video.

Ive learned that the ACA500+ never seems to be able to do a successful software reboot, always getting a green screen of death. This is not a major issue though.

The boot to workbench was a success, and booted quickly. I then attempt to put the second CF card in just to see what happens and it is detected without issue, though only 4 gigs are shown in workbench.

The next task is prefs, where id display mode I find that HIRES works rather nice through this RGB/HDMI conversion setup, so another win!  I then go through the rest of the prefs quickly for good measure.

This is the point where I start with some basic software installations moving it from linux with the aux card starting with

lha.run and moving the lha68k to the workbench:c as lha.

The second install was sysinfo.lha which i first extracted on the cf card first for testing.  This also allows me to see the tour of sysinfo showing this computer outperforming an amiga 1200 stock 68020. I then go through the rest of the tour of sysinfo.

Satisfied with the structure, sysinfo is moved into the correct location. But i know that the partitions are wrong and I am bothered as I keep noticing that I only have 512k of chip ram. So its time to do some hardware troubleshooting. I wonder what happened to the fatter agnus?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V82h1vsrmQ

Offline kirk_m

Re: Amiga upgrade after over 20 years
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 02:40:39 PM »
Use F10 for advanced mode...check the chipram settings.  I never use the pre-set F1/F2 modes, as they are missing some of the settings I use.
-/- A500 & ACA500 & ACA1233n -/- A500 Tower & VAMPiRE II 500+ -/- A2000 & BLiZZARD 2060 -/- A3000 & CYBERSTORM MKII 040 -/- A1200 & BLiZZARD 1230 MK IV -/- A1200 & BLiZZARD 1260 -/- A4000 & 3640 -/-

Offline number6

Re: Amiga upgrade after over 20 years
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 03:27:56 PM »
Quote from: jcrubin;838367
Satisfied with the structure, sysinfo is moved into the correct location. But i know that the partitions are wrong and I am bothered as I keep noticing that I only have 512k of chip ram. So its time to do some hardware troubleshooting. I wonder what happened to the fatter agnus?

If this is still the revision 6A motherboard with Baseboard memory that you wrote about:
here

I suggest you check your "actual" chip and fast memory totals before adding any other h/w.