Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apple dumps Intel from laptop lines (Not Confirmed, Rumor)  (Read 6587 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
Re: Apple dumps Intel from laptop lines (Not Confirmed, Rumor)
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 07:30:10 AM »
Quote from: x303;636762
The short story is that Apple is moving the laptop line, and presumably desktops too, to ARM based chips as soon as possible. With A15/Eagle allowing more than 32-bit memory access, things look up, but it seems silly to do so before the full 64 bit cores come in the following generation. Nvidia is directly telling certain favored analysts that they will have Denver out in Q4 of 2012, maybe Q1/2013, and that uses the full on 64-bit ARM instruction set. It won’t be out by then, but that gives you a good estimation of when that ISA will break cover from one vendor or other. Think mid-2013.

You can read the full story here: http://semiaccurate.com/2011/05/05/apple-dumps-intel-from-laptop-lines/

Got to love the name of the source for this one: "Semi Accurate"! :)

Anyway, I won't read too much into this, although I'm not saying it won't happen. Feels a bit unlikely, they "just" jumped architecture afterall...

But I have said it many times before - ARM will scale upwards a lot easier than x86 will scale downwards. ARM will, backed by at least nVidia (who is making a "x86 killer" to use their own words) and Microsoft (who *already* have a complete Windows and Office running on ARM), compete with x86 at its own traditional arenas (desktop, server and workstation), but no x86 on horizon is really capable of competing with ARM in a similar manner.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next Xbox (720 or whatever it will be called) will be based on ARM.

:)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 07:51:08 AM »
Quote from: RepoOne;636893
I really hope this is true. I would love to see something other than x86 take off in the desktop and laptop realm

Well, take a look at this video then (at 1:10):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKc_XGuvNIk

:)

And at least nVidia (I see no reason to why others (like Freescale) won't follow) have announced "that it plans to build high-performance ARM® based CPU cores, designed to support future products ranging from personal computers and servers to workstations and supercomputers."

Here is more on that.

although I would prefer it to be PowerPC.

What part of "PPC is dead" don't you understand? OK, not dead as in "no chips will be developed or manufactured anymore", but dead for any kind of contexts interesting to us?

ARM is the future...
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
Re: Apple dumps Intel from laptop lines
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 08:44:49 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;636802
I fail to see what is relevant in this news item to the "Amiga News and Community Anouncememnts" section.

Otherwise, a valid news topic for OSnews or MacRumors.

I fail to see why people like you always bang about this.

Do you want a link

Amiga 68k - Mac 68k
Amiga PPC - Mac PPC
Mac X86
Mac ARM

Do you see the connection. Stop whininnig like a little girl and go hang around somwhere else if it bothers you sooooooo much
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 12:46:01 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;636904

What part of "PPC is dead" don't you understand? OK, not dead as in "no chips will be developed or manufactured anymore", but dead for any kind of contexts interesting to us?

ARM is the future...

To you maybe. I quite like the PPC

Offline beakster2

• Show only replies by beakster2
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 03:18:12 PM »
It would be nice to see OS X on the Arm however...  I like to use OS X as my main desktop OS but I am a .Net developer by trade so I always have 1 or 2 Windows VMs running on my MacBook.  I'd worry that switching to ARM will make running x86 VMs slow as we need to go back to emulating x86 like we had to do when OS X was PPC only.

Offline x303Topic starter

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 06:35:23 PM »
Quote from: Argo;636866
Oh, come on. We had topics here a few weeks about talking about Amiga on ARM.  I think AROS has ARM support, right?
Yeah, why not follow the same path and go ARM ?!

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 01:14:56 AM »
Quote from: yssing;636934

Seconded. ARM only offers a cost advantage and X86 still has a distinct performance advantage.
I'm willing to stay with the ISA I'm currently using.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 02:02:09 AM »
Quote from: beakster2;636965
It would be nice to see OS X on the Arm however...  I like to use OS X as my main desktop OS but I am a .Net developer by trade so I always have 1 or 2 Windows VMs running on my MacBook.  I'd worry that switching to ARM will make running x86 VMs slow as we need to go back to emulating x86 like we had to do when OS X was PPC only.
If Microsoft's looking aat ARM support for Windows 8, you can bet they'll have an ARM-native .NET VM, given how much they've been pushing .NET in recent years. Besides, doesn't Mono already run on ARM?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 02:54:57 AM »
Quote from: yssing;636934

I quite like Audrey Hepburn, but I don't expect to see her starring in any new films. ;)

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
Re: Apple dumps Intel from laptop lines
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2011, 03:35:58 AM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;636806
Well, the difference is stabbing Motorola and IBM in the back killed off PPC on the desk/laptop (well, that and some technical reasons).  I'm not too sure that stabbing Intel in the back is going to result in the same outcome...

Or Intel could be the foundry for the A15s.  I'm sure Intel would make up for the loss of selling their own CPUs to Apple in one fashion or another.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 03:40:06 AM »
Quote from: Argo;636866
Oh, come on. We had topics here a few weeks about talking about Amiga on ARM.  I think AROS has ARM support, right?

There is AROS ARM Linux Hosted.  I would guess that it would be (and I hope so) full native ARM version in a year or two.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2011, 07:04:14 AM »
This wouldn't be a bad thing for Intel. Competition from AMD and various ARM implementations has only made Intel products better.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2011, 10:10:56 AM »
Well Intel have cracked the 3d transistor so expect even better from them soon
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2011, 11:01:13 AM »
I was reading about last week. It's a fairly obvious and very old idea, but I guess it just required fabrication technology that they didn't have until recently. It's really fascinating stuff, at least to me.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2011, 01:46:26 PM »
Apple left PPC because PPC wasn't interested in Apple.  For years Apple tried to convince the world that G5's were somehow mystically magically better than the equivalent X86 architecture running at faster speeds.  It never really worked.  And of course IBM abandoned Apple, they refused to produce a G5 mobile on any kind of reasonable timetable.

So Apple moved, any the myth of G5 was broken when even Rosetta applications ran faster on X86 than a G5.

I suspect the talk of ARM is based on the success of iOS devices.  OS X and iOS are pretty much two heads of one beast.  Under the bonnet there's no real difference.  It makes sense to at least consider bringing them to the same architecture.  You can get rid of some of the doubling that way.  And with Microsoft producing an ARM version of Windows, you can still dual boot/run a virtual MS Windows session on Apple equipment. I wouldn't be surprised to see MS Windows ARM desktops in the future.

Apple always plays 3 to 5 years out, it's why they are still here and Amiga is coming back as a boring Chinese Windows box.  You don't sit on your laurels.  Todays hot is tomorrow's retro nostalgia.  I can't say that they will make the move to ARM, but I can say they'd be stupid not to at least put it on the table for discussion.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 11, 2011, 08:11:07 PM »
Quote from: kedawa;637142
I was reading about last week. It's a fairly obvious and very old idea, but I guess it just required fabrication technology that they didn't have until recently.

And they did not have it before because it was not really needed up to now. The transistors are now becoming too small so they have be wrapped around the silicon to be able to turn off the device. Up to 32nm this was not really needed. Of course, that's not how marketing people will tell the story.

greets.
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing