Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why Linux is Not for You!  (Read 7456 times)

Description:

Offline bhoggett

• Show all replies
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
Re: Why Linux is Not for You!
« on: April 21, 2003, 02:50:12 PM »

mdma wrote:
Besides, windoze cannot even use assigns.

SUBST

Only in part. It's nowhere near as versatile as an AmigaOS assign.

As for the installer, the Debian and Gentoo solutions are good enough, but the problem remains. Neither is a universal installer/uninstaller for all Linux software, across all distributions irrespective of packaging. Yet that is what you will need if ordinary users are ever to regard Linux as a serious desktop alternative to Windows.
Bill Hoggett

Offline bhoggett

• Show all replies
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
Re: Why Linux is Not for You!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2003, 01:04:06 AM »
@mdma

People use linux because it's Linux, not Windows. If you want to use Windows use it.

I've heard this line before, and while I'm sure it's valid for you, it's not valid for every Linux user. After all, if that was the case why distribute binary packages at all. Surely REAL Linux users compile everything from source and locate their own dependencies, right?

Like the author of the article, I couldn't give a toss if Linux becomes dominant on the desktop. It does what I need, and that's all I care about.

That's up to you, yet the fact remains that the more users a platforms attracts, the more developers will support it, and the more developers, the better the overall quality and range of available software will become, which in turn brings in more interest from users. Everyone benefits. Frankly,  I don't hold much truck with the elitist "if you're not prepared to get your hands dirty doing things the hard way you shouldn't use  Linux" brigade.

As for the Loki installer, does it support the locating, downloading and installation of dependencies?  I would have thought a game installer wouldn't normally need to worry too much about such things, specially one designed for commercial game distributions.

(Just for the record, I don't expect Linux to work like Windows. The easy installation, removal and upgrading of software is a feature I would expect from any OS.)
Bill Hoggett