Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New RiscOS computer launched  (Read 8521 times)

Description:

Offline Lando

• Show all replies
    • https://bartechtv.com
Re: New RiscOS computer launched
« on: January 06, 2003, 12:06:50 AM »
There were a couple of real Acorn devotees at the place I used to work.  I had an Archimedes for a while myself - real nice machine, although it never had the impact on my life that the Amiga did.

What most surprises me about the RiscOS platform is how long it's lasted.  They even have their own glossy printed magazine here in the UK, which is something the Amiga hasn't had for over a year now.

What's most surprising about it is that Acorn only sold some 300,000 machines worldwide - a tiny fraction of the number of Amigas sold.  Yet they have several "next-gen" machines to choose from whereas Amiga has none (but two in the works).  

How did this happen?  Heck, even the Atari ST has at least half a dozen "compatible" solutions to choose from (running up to dual 80Mhz '060s, with PPC on the way)

But Amiga.. BoXer, MMC, Walker, AmiJoe, P5 G3/G4 cards... the list goes on.  Not one ever hit the market, whereas competing "alternative" solutions with really much smaller possible market-share did.  I just don't get it.