Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why Linux is Not for You!  (Read 7287 times)

Description:

Offline GreggBz

• Show all replies
    • http://www.outerspacecrew.net
Re: Why Linux is Not for You!
« on: April 18, 2003, 08:32:14 PM »
I have to agree with rlfrost here. Most people that speak of why they don't use linux, have never used linux. Qute a few are to frightened to try it. Where is the exploration that took place in the early days of computing?

Besideds, I have been using linux for about 6 years. After the first 6 months or so of learning and frustration, I've never looked back. It just works better.  The learning curve these days is hardly six months. My first install of Caldera Linux 1.2 or whatever it was looks nightmarish compaired to modern distros and their slick instalation programs. You don't even have to know bash anymore, just use all these fantastic configuration programs.

The cold truth here is that most people are lazy and don't want to persue something that might make them think to hard. The've been trained to use one kind of GUI and have this fobia of anything else. Why do you think standardizarion and backwards compatability are numbers one and two in the microsoft design methodology? Because that's what people WANT. Make it easiy. Well that methodology has some limitations. It restricts new and better ideas and hinders real breaktrhoughs. How long have we had x86 and 8.3 filenames? How long have we had C:\ ?  

They don't wont to learn new things. That's fine. Computers are supposed to be getting easier right?
But linux is a good thing. Trust me. It's important, meaningfull and it's use should be encouraged.

Offline GreggBz

• Show all replies
    • http://www.outerspacecrew.net
Re: Why Linux is Not for You!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2003, 05:53:17 AM »
Well, I think there is a fundemental difference in philosophy here. I stoped using windows mostly from bordem. Frankly, I was sick of the same operating system. It's like being married to someone who makes all the rules. It failed to challenge me, and it failed to suprise me with any new features. I guess windows XP has bubbley colors with an interface that appeals to senior citizens. That's thrilling. Make me feel important as a user. I want things to fiddle with, please! :-) Windows insults my intelegence. (My Computer) (My Pictures) Cutesie Tutesie interface. I'm using it right now on my girlfirends laptop.  I like windows 2000 much better without all the fancy colors.

I want it to be known that I'm not a passioniate freak that loves his operating system. To me personal computers are a hobby to be taken lightly. Windows takes the hobby out of it. It's what the family minivan is to a driving enthusiest.