Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $99 Keyboard PC: Perfect for WinUAE?  (Read 1542 times)

Description:

Offline Jethro_TullTopic starter

• Show only replies by Jethro_Tull
$99 Keyboard PC: Perfect for WinUAE?
« on: December 21, 2009, 09:15:51 AM »
I've just read this news article;
http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/12/18/99-linux-pc-keyboard-launches/

And my first thought was that it would be a perfect platform form an emulated Amiga.  I know that many love the A500,A600 and A1200's form factor.  I have no idea how powerful the X86 clone CPU is.  Even if it runs at 1GHz, my guess is that it's quite slow.  It's part of a chip that includes a complete system (System On Chip) and comes from a small player (big players being Intel, AMD and VIA) so it's probably missing many speed enhancements (cache, out of order execution etc).  It would be great even if it reached Pentium II speeds.

Still at $99 it's a cheaper alternative to the Minimig, and being a complete unit built in a keyboard, complete with 512Mb RAM, two SD-Card readers and a plethora of ports, it's certainly worth a look.  Who knows, maybe Cloanto might team up with them to sell this little PC with a version of Amiga Forever tailor made for it.

Offline ZeBeeDee

• Show only replies by ZeBeeDee
Re: $99 Keyboard PC: Perfect for WinUAE?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 10:24:07 AM »
Been there, seen it, posted it, moved on :)

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50773
To err is human ... to BOING divine!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Rebel-CD32

• Show only replies by Rebel-CD32
Re: $99 Keyboard PC: Perfect for WinUAE?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 02:54:07 AM »
Yuck, Windows would probably run like poo on this thing, unless you install an older version of Windows on it. I think it's great that they come with Linux, and they might even make great Aros machines. Aros would fly on this thing.
Amiga user forever.