Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: iPad 2  (Read 26207 times)

Description:

Offline dentunes

• Show only replies by dentunes
Re: iPad 2
« Reply #239 from previous page: March 12, 2011, 11:13:13 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;621374
That's easy. It's because everything has already been invented. There's nothing more to invent. It's like maths - all maths has been discovered. So i guess the only thing to do now is not to try and invent but find different ways of using what we already have. In Australia there is a Ukulele revival going on so i guess that's a new way to use an instrument that has been around forever. Really quite funny when you think about it because it's not even Australian! :)
So you are at Gold Coasts's Nobby's Beach. The ukulele revival is due to schools replacing recorders with them. I guess they believe more people will play guitar than Brass/Woodwind so have selected Ukulele instead.

Don't I know it, running one of the Allans Music + Billy Hyde stores down here in Melbourne. Ukulele sales at Christmas were just stupid!
Amiga, Amiga, Where for art thou Amiga?

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #240 on: March 12, 2011, 11:16:20 AM »
I didn't know you were from Australia :)

Actually i'm not on the Gold Coast i'm in Newcastle :)

So do you think it is just a fad or is it going to stay?

I prefer recorders myself :)
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline dentunes

« Reply #241 on: March 12, 2011, 11:33:56 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;621376
I didn't know you were from Australia :)

Actually i'm not on the Gold Coast i'm in Newcastle :)

So do you think it is just a fad or is it going to stay?

I prefer recorders myself :)
Probably both will stay and students will choose. There is no point pushing B&O (Band and Orchestral) onto students if they don't want to do them. Guitars are not going anywhere and the schools are adapting.

Ukeleles are in the same price point as recorders. It allows students to buy them cheap and begin their path to guitar stardom. I don't think it is a fad.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #242 on: March 12, 2011, 12:09:33 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;621361
I was thinking of the pioneers of the last 50 years, from the introduction of the electric guitar, the multitrack recording studio, the analogue synth, the sampler and the DAW... All these things have been used and abused... But now we only remember the artists who were good... Not necessarily who were the most popular :)

not overly impressed by Lady Gaga, she doesn't write or compose the music (she has "input" to get a credit, but that is often little more than sitting with the production team during a session), but her production team have found a formula that does work and they use it well.

I'm no fan of the Prodigy, but Liam Howlett's smapler work on Fat of the Land is exceptional. I would have to say that Fat of the Land was really pushing the boundaries for samplers at the time, it's easy to do all that stuff now... But to do it on a few Roland W-30s and akai samplers in the late 90s was amazing. I would say that if you listen to that album from a technical stand point you will appreciate it more :)

I stumbled across this little gem of a site last night, i thought you'd appreciate it too! :)

http://www.synthmania.com/Famous%20Sounds.htm
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline dentunes

« Reply #243 on: March 12, 2011, 12:13:50 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;621383
I stumbled across this little gem of a site last night, i thought you'd appreciate it too! :)

http://www.synthmania.com/Famous%20Sounds.htm
D50 Fantasia had to be there lol

Some classic sounds in there.

Jump Brass (Synth Brass) was missing though lol
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 12:16:54 PM by dentunes »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #244 on: March 12, 2011, 12:17:56 PM »
Quote from: dentunes;621384
D50 Fantasia had to be there lol

Some classic sounds in there.

Eddie Van Halen's famous Jump brass always makes me smile when i hear it in other tunes. :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #245 on: March 12, 2011, 12:24:51 PM »
Quote from: dentunes;621384

Jump Brass (Synth Brass) was missing though lol

Nah it's there, i actually found that site whilst googling for the name of a mid 90's Italo-house tune that sampled Jump that I've forgotten the name of. (It also samples an Afrika Bambaata acapella too if anyone remembers it?)

Offline dentunes

« Reply #246 on: March 12, 2011, 12:28:02 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;621386
Nah it's there, i actually found that site whilst googling for the name of a mid 90's Italo-house tune that sampled Jump that I've forgotten the name of. (It also samples an Afrika Bambaata acapella too if anyone remembers it?)
Yes it is. I missed it.

Offline dentunes

« Reply #247 on: March 12, 2011, 12:35:21 PM »
I used to work in the piano department before running the store and I used these common sounds in the demos.

Also on these I used Wurly for "Moving on up" M People I think it was.
Clavinet for "Superstition" (All black keys, easier for Stevie to play)
Organ for "Whiter shade of pale"

and many more.

Offline Orjan

• Show only replies by Orjan
« Reply #248 on: March 12, 2011, 01:54:33 PM »
Quote from: Franko;621215
Nothing like the PC world of the 80s or the Amiga, we didn't walk down the street or sit on a train with an A1000 & monitor under our arm or sitting on our lap to try and look cool... :lol:

That actually reminds me of an old TV commercial in the days of dial-up ISPs here in Sweden. I found it on the tube but its incomplete, the full commercial depicts 2 guys sitting in front of computers and tapping away when a sound distracts them and they both turn around, and theres a third guy in the door, with smoke and a bright light behind him, holding something under his arm. He walks in and sits down next to the two first guys and takes the object from under his arm, which turns out to be an A600, and places it on the desk. He then pushes a couple of buttons and one of the two other guys exclaims "How can he afford that?!?" in a fake german accent.
The slogan of the ISP was "Surf crazy-cheap"

So in the mind of that ISP, guys who were walking around with A600s were damn cool, as you can see in the commercial. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRISPqo-BSU&feature=related
\\"Memory is like an orgasm. It\\\'s a lot better if you don\\\'t have to fake it.\\"
- Seymore Cray, on virtual memory.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #249 on: March 12, 2011, 02:02:17 PM »
@ Orjan

:) I suppose in it's day the A600 being that wee bit smaller it could have been used as a portable device, just reckon the car battery to power it and cathode ray tube monitor may have been a wee bit awkward though... :lol:

Offline tone007

iPad 2
« Reply #250 on: March 12, 2011, 03:04:22 PM »
Never really had too much interest in tablets until Android powered ones showed up on eBay in the $100 range, and then I never felt like waiting for a month for one to show up from China. That problem went away when CVS (pharmacy) started carrying a $99 one, and it became a definite impulse buy at $79 with coupon.

So far, in the last two days I've rooted it and flashed two new firmwares, gotten it WiFi tethered to my cellphone for data everywhere, and with it checked all three of my email accounts multiple times, beaten a bartender at Scrabble twice, paid a speeding ticket, checked/updated Facebook, edited a photograph, remote controlled a server in my garage, streamed music from a webserver, created music (yeah, right) with Ethereal Dialpad, watched videos on Youtube, and posted on Amiga.org.

Fairly useful little toy, even if typing on a touchscreen still stinks.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline nicholas

« Reply #251 on: March 12, 2011, 03:48:54 PM »
Quote from: tone007;621399

http://beta.swype.com

I've got big shovel hands and can't type on a touch screen without this.

Offline Tension

« Reply #252 on: March 12, 2011, 03:50:34 PM »
Quote from: tone007;621399
Never really had too much interest in tablets until Android powered ones showed up on eBay in the $100 range, and then I never felt like waiting for a month for one to show up from China. That problem went away when CVS (pharmacy) started carrying a $99 one, and it became a definite impulse buy at $79 with coupon.

So far, in the last two days I've rooted it and flashed two new firmwares, gotten it WiFi tethered to my cellphone for data everywhere, and with it checked all three of my email accounts multiple times, beaten a bartender at Scrabble twice, paid a speeding ticket, checked/updated Facebook, edited a photograph, remote controlled a server in my garage, streamed music from a webserver, created music (yeah, right) with Ethereal Dialpad, watched videos on Youtube, and posted on Amiga.org.

Sounds good!!!

What was the make/model??

Offline tone007

iPad 2
« Reply #253 on: March 13, 2011, 04:41:29 PM »
One of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/7-inch-CRAIG-Wireless-Touch-Screen-Tablet-Andriod-2-/390296430598?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item5adf7ae806

I imagine they're flying out of the local stores like hotcakes at $99.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #254 on: March 13, 2011, 05:00:06 PM »
Quote from: tone007;621555
One of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/7-inch-CRAIG-Wireless-Touch-Screen-Tablet-Andriod-2-/390296430598?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item5adf7ae806

I imagine they're flying out of the local stores like hotcakes at $99.

And coming back in at a similar rate when they find the battery life is measured in minutes and the install of Android broken to the point that you can't access the app market.

A lot of the el cheapo Android tablets suffer similar issues, apparently.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]