Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Future Of The Amiga - Where Do You Stand...  (Read 10683 times)

Description:

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
Re: The Future Of The Amiga - Where Do You Stand...
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2010, 07:19:40 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;594470
This isn't that expensive a hobby for me or Golem. And when you finally get your X1000, I'll probably have a G5 Mac with a X850 XT video card that will outperform it.

When maximum performance matters to me, I have my Linux box which can easily crush any box you can MorphOS on while running several instances of AROS and UAE hosted side by side, as well as assorted other VM's if I so want.

Old PowerPC based Mac's simply have no appeal to me, regardless which OS they run. We recently threw a fully working one away at work because nobody could be bothered taking it home.

The Natami looks like a neat system as does the minimig w/ AGA, but these aren't realistic systems for everyday use.

As I said before, you keep blowing your money on old hardware or re-creations of old hardware. I'm getting more use out of what I've got and its gets better on a regular basis.

MorphOS on a G5 wouldn't be a realistic system for everyday use for me either. I don't have any animosity towards MorphOS but it just doesn't interest me - AROS appeals to me because it's open source, and AmigaOS4/X1000 appeals to me because it's new hardware specifically designed for AmigaOS. Classic AmigaOS appeals to me because, well, it's M68k and the classic chipset or derivations of it that I know and love. MorphOS has none of those.

If MorphOS does it for you, then good for you, but to me it doesn't matter at all if it's more "cost effective". Cost effective is what my Linux box is for.

I'm not "blowing my money" on anything. I'm spending money on things I enjoy to tinker with. As I said: It's a hobby.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 07:23:55 PM by vidarh »

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2010, 07:41:06 PM »
My interest is mostly in the original hardware, so natami seems like a fun option if it materializes.

Offline mechy

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2010, 07:43:37 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;594510
Well Here (From your post):

¨You can put amiga stickers all over clones pc's with emulation and call it amiga,but its not.If you do this you are missing out on the coolness that made amiga. I can say the only thing happening lately that seems remotely interesting is the NAtami,but i can't understand why they would want AROS.
The whole point of the A1000 was originally to do something new and revolutionary.When all your criteria for running amiga os is to simply dump it on cheap hardware,you have lost sight of this,and reduced it to just a OS.¨

I still don't see how talking about the amiga 1000 being revolutionary at the time says i want to start a revolt?Maybe i'm tired and just missing something here?

Offline orb85750

• Show only replies by orb85750
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2010, 08:00:17 PM »
If Natami is released, if the price is reasonable, and if it operates as planned, I think it will be a very exciting entry into this crowded "Amiga" niche world.

Offline Khephren

• Show only replies by Khephren
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2010, 08:06:33 PM »
I left all the Amiga sites during the problem era, I was just sick of hearing it. I came back as a retro user, rather than the current user desperate for the OS/hardware to move forward.
I guess I had come terms with the fact that it was over for the Amiga (for me) as a viable mainstream alternative.

Offline Buzzfuzz

• Show only replies by Buzzfuzz
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2010, 08:44:21 PM »
Future wise I love Natami :)

That is because it will be a full Amiga compatible and what we do most, so playing games on them.

But at current I enjoy Classic WB 3.1 with WHDLoad and that is what matters.
Office/work stuff belong on my PC, Amiga = for fun.
Wishlist: A3500, A2500UX

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2010, 09:06:09 PM »
Quote from: Franko;594503
Man have you missed out if you think the Amiga is only a games console, I aint knocking anyone who just uses the Amiga (in whatever form) for just playing games but there's a whole lot more interesting & productive things the Amiga can do. Give it a try sometime you might just be pleasantly surprised... :)

No, I played very very little amount of games on the Amiga.  My old frankenstien A500 ran a BBS/UUCP site for like seven years with CNet PRO.  Loved that OS, it was wonderful.  Fast forward to 2010, I'm primarily using Linux (FC14) with some M$ for a two games (DAoC and WarHammer) and Skype conferencing.  I would love to have a cool Amiga like OS that was modern (SMP/MP at a minimum) that was running on mobile devices.  

Now the Amiga community in my neck of the woods in the early 90s, it was all about games.  They were the driving force behind Amiga, purchasing (or pirating) of games.  They bought bigger and better hardware to play the games at  high frame rates.  If you want to ignore that point in history, it's up to you.  I do know what I'm talking about on this side of the pond, and unless your were a small group doing VT work, it was all about playing games.   Now they are doing the console for, you guessed it, games!
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2010, 09:28:42 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;594470
This isn't that expensive a hobby for me or Golem. And when you finally get your X1000, I'll probably have a G5 Mac with a X850 XT video card that will outperform it.
The Natami looks like a neat system as does the minimig w/ AGA, but these aren't realistic systems for everyday use.

As I said before, you keep blowing your money on old hardware or re-creations of old hardware. I'm getting more use out of what I've got and its gets better on a regular basis.

X1000's ATI R700  support says Hi.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Tension

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2010, 09:33:02 PM »
Eierkuchen

Offline Tension

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2010, 09:35:50 PM »
Quote from: mechy;594517
I still don't see how talking about the amiga 1000 being revolutionary at the time says i want to start a revolt?Maybe i'm tired and just missing something here?

Giving free X1000 systems to disgruntled students in the UK would start a revolution.

:rtfm:

Offline adz

• Knight of the Sock
    • Show only replies by adz
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2010, 09:43:12 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;594454
Actually Franko is pretty lucky to have missed the holy wars...

Many a troll perished...

Offline FrankoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2010, 10:04:08 PM »
@ dammy

From your first post here it came across to me that all you had used the Amiga for was playing games, nice to hear that you used it for something a bit more worthwhile like your BBS. Myself and my friends had already grown tired of just using a computer to just play games (coming from the era of the VIC 20 & C64) by the time I got my first A1000 at the start of 86. By the end of 87 I had two A500 and a couple of Star dot matrix printers and was running my own DTP/Design business from home.

Although I bought almost every game ever released for the Amiga, in this neck of the woods we did play them but most of our time was spent cracking them, creating demo's, writing mods, programming and creating VHS music/gfx videos using the likes of Digi-View & Digi-Paint. The actual playing of games was never very big around these parts. I do agree that probably for most users games were the number 1 purpose for buying an Amiga but the circles I moved in and probably because of the age range we belonged to we had kinda outgrown games and were more interested in seeing just what we could push the Amiga to do.

Strangly enough the only console I've ever owned is the SNES and it's the only thing I really still use these days for playing games. My Amiga collection very rarely gets used for games at all anymore as I still prefer to tinker and program on them more than anything thing else... :)

Offline skilgannon

• Show only replies by skilgannon
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2010, 10:16:30 PM »
@Franco

Hey there fellow Scotlander!

Have you got the right point or what!

For me - absolutely, the whole thing about retro computing is about what we can do with the original hardware and OS's but also what we can do through hardware emulation to keep the whole thing alive (like Minimig and Natami etc)

Lets face it, Amiga hardware is up to 25 years old now and getting accelerators and expansions is difficult.  Individual computers is helping that with their new generation of decently priced expansions for the A1200 and the A600 recently but without that the chances of keeping our beloved machines in tip top form and expanding them to do other things is a big challenge.

I could care less about the other stuff like Aros and OS4 etc.  I do like the idea of it but it's not for me.  I want my Amiga to run the Apps and Games it could always run but if possible do it quicker with new apps and games lol

I have an A600 and a Minimig.  the latter of the two I exhibited at R3Play in Blackpool just recently and I could not believe the interest it generated.  For me, yes, keep the original machines running for as long as possible because we love them but the future is all about coming up with something that runs on modern hardware and emulates the Amiga models perfectly (at a hardware level) - then the dream is still alive!

As for the back biting visceral decrying of the new development amiga's (like Natami and also what the Minimig received) - this needs to stop.  These people who are doing this are dedicated to doing something for the community we all belong to and whether it is a success or not we should support them.  It's not like they are going to get rich from it and have relaunched the Commodore name by producing crap PC clones.  They're doing a shed more for this community than many of the ney-sayers on here and other forums and at least have the vision to try and push the barriers.  After all was that not what the premise of the Amiga was the first place?

Anyhoo - rant over - the Amiga for me personally is in one a nostalgic return to my youth when the "scene" meant more to me than breathing and every weekend saw me visiting my mates stall in the Barras (Glasgow) to discuss the latest developments and to participate in that weekends Kick Off and Sensi Tournaments but it also it was the platform I learned 3D modelling, animation and Desk Top publishing on which from that platform I got my MCSE, Novell Master CNE, (defunct) Compaq system builder, ItIL Manger accreditations and I'm now an exec IT Manager for a big national company and doing pretty well in comparison and this is all down to early exposure of a machine that could challenge me to do more.

Cheers

John
I\'m an IK+ championship winning, goal scoring superstar hero ;)

C= Amiga 600, 3.1 ROM with ACA630, 2mb Chip, CF IDE, Easynet Wifi (once it all arrives!)
CD32; Commodore SX64; C64c, Sinclair QL; Sinclair Spectrum+; Sinclair ZX81; PS3; XBOX 360; Sega Saturn; Wii; NDS; PSP.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2010, 10:17:05 PM »
Quote from: adz;594541
Many a troll perished...
Many a troll was born also...

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2010, 10:17:36 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;594551
Many a troll was born also...

All in all, a recycling operation then :roflmao:
int p; // A

Offline Tension

« Reply #44 from previous page: November 26, 2010, 10:21:29 PM »
Still think we should have troll of the year award....