Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bring back the Amiga?  (Read 3112 times)

Description:

Offline dammy

• Show all replies
Re: Bring back the Amiga?
« on: November 28, 2003, 06:35:03 PM »
by CodeSmith on 2003/11/28 4:52:26

3. AROS (running on an x86 PC or classic Amiga): The open-source alternative, by Team AROS. Shares some code with MorphOS, but it's a lot closer to AmigaOS architecturally. It's source-compatible with AmigaOS 3.x but AFAIK they don't have an emulator so you can't run old programs unless you're using a real Amiga.

AROS has UAE 0.8.22, and GUI for UAE is currently being coded.

This animosity also means that AmigaOS won't run on a Pegasos, and MorphOS won't run on an AmigaOne. There are people who say they got it to work, and they probably did, but these are not officially supported options (again, those disputes).

AFAIK, MOS runs on Teron mobos for awhile now.  For it to work on the Teron/A1 mobo, the BIOS has to be reflashed.  OS4 may see the light of day on a Peg, but it will have to be a third party who rebadges the Peg to A1 licensing standards.

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline dammy

• Show all replies
Re: Bring back the Amiga?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2003, 08:39:01 PM »
by CodeSmith on 2003/11/28 14:16:31

guess, if so the site is a bit unclear. If you follow the links for prebuilt ("custom") systems, it says the price is to be determined, that's why I think the $725 applies to motherboard+CPU only. In any case, I think the price seems high to you because you're thinking in Euros (living in Germany, that's quite natural ) According to XE.com, right now USD725 is EUR605.

If that's the case, Peg2 G4 is DOA .

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.