Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NetSurf 3.7 released!  (Read 5170 times)

Description:

Offline chrisTopic starter

NetSurf 3.7 released!
« on: October 23, 2017, 02:39:05 PM »
NetSurf is a small, fast, CSS-capable web browser for multiple platforms including AmigaOS.

NetSurf 3.7 features performance improvements, improved page layout, and many fixes. Also new is a treeview search feature, which allows Hotlist (Bookmarks), History and Cookies to be searched. We recommend all users upgrade to NetSurf 3.7.

Official downloads (AmigaOS 4 version)
AmigaOS3 beta version
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

Re: NetSurf 3.7 released!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 08:10:26 PM »
Quote from: utri007;832107
Anything new in OS3.5/9 version? Requirements doesn't mention guigfx and render libraries anymore?

It should mention them, didn't really look at the readme beyond correcting the version number.

New stuff is the same as other versions, I've not done anything special with the OS3 frontend.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 12:13:25 AM by chris »
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 09:47:35 AM »
Quote from: utri007;832112
Some speed has been lost. :( It takes about 50% more time to render amiga.org was 23 seconds, is now about 32-36 seconds. Amigaworld.net rendering time is about a same. It also seems to do something before and after page is loaded? About 5-10 seconds nothing happen in Netsurf information bar, no loading fetching etc. it just seems to wait something and same when page is loaded/displayed. With this effect it feels much slower than it used to be.

I don't know why that would be.  I can't think of anything that has changed which would cause that.  The log file might provide a clue.

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 07:53:58 PM »
Quote from: utri007;832124
This message is repeated some 100x times and takes 72 second to move on?
(180.004997) frontends/amiga/font_diskfont.c:58 ami_font_bm_open: (using current font)
This one only few times
(122.027104) frontends/amiga/font_diskfont.c:102 ami_font_bm_open: font: helvetica.font/12

Starts (121.790181)
Ends (193.876583)

Same message starts again (201.677977) and ends (227.279296) users over 100 seconds to open same font when logging?

It's doing layout, that "opening same font" is just a message, when that appears that function isn't actually doing anything.

It could well be the logging slowing it down, I don't know how it works so it could be doing processing that it wasn't before.

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 11:55:22 PM »
Quote from: utri007;832132
How about this :

(31.495984) frontends/amiga/gui.c:3733 amiga_window_invalidate_area: Ignoring duplicate or subset of queued box redraw

It ends (33.325507) starts again (88.770177) and ends (92.919132)

That's to do with the redraw, it's doing layouting between those times, the actual redraw happens afterwards. The message means the area the core wants to redraw is already going to be redrawn, so it is being ignored to avoid unnecessary processing/flickering (when it gets to the point of actually redrawing).

(43.001307) content/llcache.c:1499 llcache_process_metadata: metadata error on line 3 error code 18

Same error about 30 times

Something to do with the disk cache, delete the cache directory and it should clear this.

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 11:58:47 PM »
Quote from: Bennymee;832145
Thank you for the new version!

A few sites are more compatible then 3.6.
But two sites don't come past the 'accept cookies button' (Javascript)

Javascript buttons still don't work. Something to do with event code bindings, don't have a clue what is missing here because most of the event code stuff seems to be in place!

Note that the lack of a dynamic layout engine means the message probably wouldn't disappear even if the buttons worked. The layout engine is the main reason for missing Javascript functionality.

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 02:02:54 PM »
Quote from: Bennymee;832158
Ok, thans for your answer. Hopefully there is some fix possible...

It will come in time...

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 02:04:21 PM »
Quote from: PPC;832156
Correct did that on OS3.9 and worked flawless.

Apologies for this.  I would have re-compressed the archive but had completely forgotten it didn't work with the (Amiga) command-line LhA tool.

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 03:55:01 PM »
Quote from: Acill;832206
Hey Chris! Nice job on this. I have been running it for a couple days now on the X5000 with little complaints. The one thing that drives me nuts is the fonts. Is there a way to make them a bit more friends on the eyes? The default looks kinda bad.

You can configure them in the Fonts tab in settings.  What's wrong with the defaults?
You might need to correct the DPI value too, which is under Rendering.

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 10:52:04 PM »
Quote from: vince_6;832351
layout.gadget needs version 0?!?!?
I have 45, no luck from here.

It actually requests v43.

Is NetSurf saying it can't open it, or is that message coming from elsewhere?

Oh, just noticed you have OS3.1.  You'll need OS3.5 minimum.  You can try upgrading individual components but that's unsupported and untested.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 10:54:41 PM by chris »

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 10:52:36 PM »
Quote from: utri007;832343
I noticed that you have removed lgging from 68k vesion five days ago? I'm interested to know does it make difference?

I removed one log message, that's all.

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 10:55:54 PM »
Quote from: redfox;832324
Typing in the message window at amiga.org and characters disappear as I type towards the right.  After I hit enter key, the line looks ok.
If  I set anti-aliasing off in the fonts preferences, the charaters appear normal as I type.

Never seen that before.  I take it this is on OS4?

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 09:45:20 AM »
Quote from: redfox;832443
Yes.  AmigaOS 4.1 FE Update 1 on MicroA1.
I am using default theme (but changed the NetSurf icon to the AISS style icon) and default preferences.
Maybe I should try a different screen resolution.  Recently switched from CRT screen to LCD display.
So far, I only have this issue when posting from amiga.org.  ... amigaworld is ok.

I'll double-check but amiga.org was OK last time I tried.