Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why keep the Nordicglobal site up?  (Read 1065 times)

Description:

Offline JeffTopic starter

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Jeff
Why keep the Nordicglobal site up?
« on: April 19, 2004, 01:13:24 AM »
I just got back in to Amigas again a year ago or so after some time away. I read up on a lot of the past news about what happened with Holger, piracy, his new job, and Miami. I even tried to order and when that didn't work I emailed and offered him money like a lot of others have.

My question is why bother to keep the Nordicglobal site up and running after almost 3 years without an update?  This must be costing somebody some money. It still appears when you first visit the site that you can order software from it, although we all know you can't.

Is it up just thumbing it's nose at us? Why pay for maintaining a site like that? Just curious.

Jeff  :-?

Offline amigau

• Show only replies by amigau
    • http://www.amigau.com
Re: Why keep the Nordicglobal site up?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 01:26:13 AM »
if you can find out the answer to that one, you'll probably find the missing WMD's too - :)

no one knows, and it's so late that many can't find energy to care anymore...It's too bad he just didn't sell the source/site to someone like Eyetech, Hyperion or Software Hut, but it may be way too late for that now.

Last time I saw him anywhere was at Amiga2000 in St. Louis, if memory serves...

kevin orme
amiga university
www.amigau.com

Offline Targhan

• Show only replies by Targhan
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 01:46:28 AM »
Gateway 2000 was the last show I saw him at too.  

As far as the site goes, my guess is he bought so many years up front, or has the url on "auto-pay" through a credit card.  In either case, he may just to expect to use it in some future endeaver*.

*Note: that is pure speculation on my part.
Regards,
Targhan

Offline Lo

• Show only replies by Lo
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 01:50:22 AM »
Is it up just thumbing it's nose at us? Why pay for maintaining a site like that? Just curious.[/quote

Afraid so, I have exchanged a couple of emails with the fellow just before the pirates sunk his ship,  and the man is severly bitter.. I think Bill Hogett is still his friend tho??
[color=0000CC]GVP 060 @50 Pwr Twr [/color][color=FF0000]AMD_Amithlon_UAE[/color]

Offline JeffTopic starter

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Jeff
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 01:52:18 AM »
I don't really have the energy to care too much anymore either :-).  I did at first when I went to update my registered copy of Miami to Deluxe and couldn't.

I did a WHOIS on the domain and it's registered until 2006 so I guess that answers that. My thinking was why pay for it if you aren't going to use it, but I guess he already did.

Offline BigBenAussie

• Show only replies by BigBenAussie
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2004, 05:44:09 AM »
Dude, he may have another or even several sites up on that webserver so having one more costs nothing. You usually pay for assigned server HD space, that is shared between several domains and once you have paid the initial set up fees it then costs nothing to keep an extra website up.

Offline Brian Hoskins

• Electronics Engineer & Computer Programmer
    • Show only replies by Brian Hoskins
    • brianhoskins.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2004, 07:41:42 AM »
MiamiDX is the only piece of software on my Amiga that is not registered to me.  I don't have the pirated version, I'm actually using a version of Miami which came pre-installed and registered to someone else on another Amiga that I bought.

By the time I started using Miami and connecting to the internet it was already too late for me to be able to order my own copy, so I've been using this version ever since.
I have emailed the author, on two seperate occasions offering full payment for the software provided I could have a copy registered to myself but I've recieved no reply, not even an acknowledgment from him.  My guess is he's not even bothering to check the email account at the site.

I've had about 18 months use of the software now so even if there is to be no further development I would still pay for a registration.  The offer is still open to him to contact me and arrange something, but sadly I suspect he never will.

It's a great shame.

Brian

Offline Roj

• Show only replies by Roj
    • http://amiga.org/modules/mylinks/visit.php?lid=247
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2004, 07:50:46 AM »
Holger would be smart to start honoring some of those registration requests while he still has them. After OS4 with Roadshow is out, my guess is MiamiDx will be pretty well outclassed and keyfile registration demand, what little of it there probably is, will be gone.
I sold my Amiga for a small fortune, but a part of my soul went with it.

Offline sir_inferno

• Show only replies by sir_inferno
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2004, 08:02:05 AM »
he should get a proper hair cut

he's letting his mum do his hair using a pair of scissors and a bowl.

Offline amigau

• Show only replies by amigau
    • http://www.amigau.com
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2004, 06:56:58 AM »
The site isn't on 'auto-pay', for sure, because I bought a copy of Miami early on when he was still taking them and providing keys, but then only a few months later tried to buy another and it said it was sending me a key, but never did.  Thankfully it didn't charge my CC either....

well, on the sorta bright side, unless you're trying to use Miami for a server, browsing a half-hour at a time using the demo version isn't a bad deal, really......especially with the new GREAT Ibrowse 2.3, which you CAN (and should) register.......

kevin orme
amiga university
www.amigau.com