Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: iSlate, watch and learn  (Read 6319 times)

Description:

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show all replies
Re: iSlate, watch and learn
« on: January 15, 2010, 04:35:21 PM »
Apple has a knack for making niche products usable. Wait and see. (I think Barnes & Noble's new Nook is going to be letter or A4 sized or a bit smaller and support a pen interface. Looking forward to that, too.)

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 12:02:26 AM »
Waiting for the day when I don't have to pay $30-$70 per device for a data connection. Pretty soon, my monthly phone bill will exceed all my other expenditures combined. EDIT: Barnes & Noble has the right idea. Apple should work out an App Store subsidy and profit sharing deal with telcos. Of course, that would totally shaft developers, who are currently free to set whatever price they want.

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 12:15:17 AM »
That's all fine and dandy if all your devices support 802.11 and you keep the master device with you at all times, but what if your devices only support cell networks? The current regime is built on the one-device-per-person meme.

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 12:59:42 AM »
Quote from: tone007;539787
..if your device only supports cellular networks, it's probably a phone.

I can't think of too many internet-type devices without either bluetooth or wifi.

You missed the point. In my home, I have one landline and four handsets. I only pay for one landline, and I do not pay a per-handset fee.

I have one broadband connection and too many Ethernet and Wi-Fi devices to list. I only pay for one broadband connection, and I do not pay a per-connection fee.

I have two mobile plans and two mobile phones. I pay for each plan and phone individually. I should only have to pay for one plan. I'll concede an additional charge for additional phone numbers.

I think the same reasoning should apply to cable and satellite television providers as well, but consumers have blindly accepted that per-device fees are OK.

Ironically, the per-device fee is one of the many things that landed AT&T in front of the Department of Justice on antitrust charges in the 70's. "Adequate" competition exists in the mobile space, however, so it's unlikely to change--unless someone puts together conspiracy charges re: handsets, early termination fees, etc., since all providers do pretty much the same thing.

EDIT: And "it's probably a phone" is a bad assumption. There are many 3G data devices on the market that do not function as telephones.