Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: using a harddrive with a cdtv  (Read 989 times)

Description:

Offline voyagerTopic starter

• Show only replies by voyager
using a harddrive with a cdtv
« on: July 06, 2007, 11:52:51 PM »
I all,

I have a short question. Its there any realistic way to use a scsi or ide drive with a cdtv? With realistic I mean not hunting for a rare scsi controllers. I remember that last year I found a website of someone making cdtv scsi controllers. I believe it was a clone of the controller sold by amitrix. Can’s seem to find it anymore on the web. I also remember something that he bought the remaining controllers and was building them by himself. There where also a lot of fotos on his site, it was a cdtv addict.

I am googeling all day now and cant seem to find a answer to my question. To scsi or not to scsi on a cdtv.

Kind Regards Sebastian,-    

Offline quenthal

• Show only replies by quenthal
Re: using a harddrive with a cdtv
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 12:13:08 AM »
Guides/docs/projects here: http://www.cdtv.org.uk/

However, I didn't find scsi-adapters for sale on that page, but intresting read anyway.
A4000/CSPPC&060

Offline amiga92570

• Show only replies by amiga92570
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 12:27:14 AM »
Possibly you could get something like inmate from Spirit Technology to work. Not sure if it will physically fit.
Amiga92570
==========================
(1) 4000T/040 (2)3000t CS 060/233ppc Picasso IV video, (2)D-box 1200 blizzard 060/200ppc Mediator fastATA, (1)amiga 1200 Power tower, (1)amiga 1200 EZ tower with mediator,1200/030/50mhz, (3) amiga 500 with CSA Mega Midget Racer and Trump card AT, (2) amiga 600 one with M-tec 030, (3) CD32 one sx32, two sx32-pro, More accessories and parts than I want to admit to

Offline rockape

• Show only replies by rockape
    • http://lincsamiga.org.uk/
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 09:00:38 AM »
Hi,

See http://www.cdtv.org.uk/

Drop Oliver an E-Mail, he's well up on CDTVs and "has a few".

Regards, Michael

aka rockape
"A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to \'Their Country\' for an amount of \'up to and including their life\'.

Offline Oli_hd

• Show only replies by Oli_hd
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 09:57:59 AM »
Drop Oliver an E-Mail, he's well up on CDTVs and "has a few".

Or just wait for me to wake up. ;-)

Its there any realistic way to use a scsi or ide drive with a cdtv?

SCSI yep, IDE nope not without turning off all the CDTV specific bits.

The CDTV has a rear expansion slot designed for an SCSI card, (or Arcnet networking card, never made) the drivers are already built into the CDTV's Roms.

Commodore made a great looking external case/scsi controller for the CDTV but they sell for a lot of money when they come up.

A much better option is to surf eBay as a few WAW SCSI cards come up now and again.
These cards just slot in and have an internal 50 pin SCSI connector for a standard SCSI drive and an external connector.
The best option is an external harddrive but lots of people (including me) have fitted one inside the CDTV without any problems.
There is just enough space below the motherboard, between the MIDI PCB board and the memory card slot carrier to jam a harddrive in.

IDE is a no no, you can fit an A500 ADIDE card (fits under the 68000 CPU) but it screws up the CDTV's built in software so you would have to disable all the CDTV features... which sucks. (I have been told it doesnt work, dont have an addide to check)

Also note the 40 pin connector running to the CD-Rom drive is not ide and you can not connect a harddrive to it, sorry.

Hope that helps.  :-D

Offline karsten

• Show only replies by karsten
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 11:35:30 PM »
IDE is a no no

Well, you can use an Acard AEC-7720U SCSI to IDE bridge on the SCSI controller and use an IDE hardrive or with an IDE-CF adapter a Compact Flash card