Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CyberVision 64 and Mediator 4000Di  (Read 1235 times)

Description:

Offline doctorq

• Show all replies
Re: CyberVision 64 and Mediator 4000Di
« on: August 21, 2007, 11:23:45 PM »
As Mediator uses a PCI graphics card as a buffer, you will be limited to a 10 MBit ethernet card, I can't remember if any soundcards needs the graphics card to function.

For the price of the Mediator board, you can get yourself a X-Surf ethernet (also 10 MBit) and a Toccata sound card; this route might even turn out cheaper, if you buy it through eBay.

Alternatively, you can get the Mediator, buy a cheap Virge graphics card and let it sit unused; then you should be able to use a 10/100 MBit ethernet and any PCI soundcard.

There will be no problems with using a CyberVision 64 in the Mediator. It's a good card, especially with the buildin monitorswitcher.

Offline doctorq

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 01:43:44 PM »
I think you only need to have the graphics card installed in the machine, but no need for having it active. I'll make some tests later on, to see if it works this way (Zorro graphics card with CGX, Virge PCI graphics card for buffer, and SoundBlaster PCI and FastEthernet PCI) and let you guys know.

Offline doctorq

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 05:47:18 PM »
The manual from ELBOX states that TV cards and sound cards needs to have a Voodoo installed in order to work. As for fast ethernet cards, it doesn't say. You can use your zorro graphics card for displaying your Workbench screen, but you will need to switch to P96 instead of CGX.

As for the OP, I still think it's the best choice to get a zorro ethernet and sound card. The price for the zorro addons will be less than a new Mediator 4000Di, or the same.

Offline doctorq

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 07:03:03 PM »
Correct, the Voodoo needs to be installed, but you will have to setup the card in order to use it. In other words, you have to have the Voodoo monitor driver installed in Devs:Monitors together with the graphics card driver for your zorro graphics card.

Offline doctorq

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 07:46:32 PM »

So maybe DMA works with CV64, but I haven't tested it.

The docs say Voodoo card specifically, so I doubt it. The only  problem I see is the heat the Voodoo card provides, but a Voodoo Banshee should be enough.