Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CyberVision 64 and Mediator 4000Di  (Read 1231 times)

Description:

Offline sjwallerTopic starter

• Show only replies by sjwaller
CyberVision 64 and Mediator 4000Di
« on: August 21, 2007, 11:04:56 PM »
Hi folks,

Bit of a 4000 newbie and am just putting things together - please forgive my ignorance!!

I have an A4000/030 desktop upgraded with an A3640 Processor card and a CyberVision 64 installed. Am thinking of purchasing a Mediator 4000Di to replace the stock A4000 daughterboard so I can use my old PCI sound and network cards I have lying around.

I was just wondering if there would be any issues running the CyberVision 64 in one of the Zorro slots of the Mediator 4000Di??? Don't really want to go for the VooDoo option as I'd lose the autoswitching functionalities of the CV64 and AGA modes.

Any advice welcome.

Cheers

Offline doctorq

• Show only replies by doctorq
Re: CyberVision 64 and Mediator 4000Di
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 11:23:45 PM »
As Mediator uses a PCI graphics card as a buffer, you will be limited to a 10 MBit ethernet card, I can't remember if any soundcards needs the graphics card to function.

For the price of the Mediator board, you can get yourself a X-Surf ethernet (also 10 MBit) and a Toccata sound card; this route might even turn out cheaper, if you buy it through eBay.

Alternatively, you can get the Mediator, buy a cheap Virge graphics card and let it sit unused; then you should be able to use a 10/100 MBit ethernet and any PCI soundcard.

There will be no problems with using a CyberVision 64 in the Mediator. It's a good card, especially with the buildin monitorswitcher.

Offline aggro_mix

• Show only replies by aggro_mix
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 10:16:22 AM »
Is it possible to use the PCI graphics card for the DMA-buffer only and still have the CV64? How do I do that? I thought the PCI-gfx card had to be active.

I have a Mediator 3000 but I'm currently not using any PCI-cards as I don't want to lose the autoswitching of the CV64 card I have.

I'm currently using CGX but if it means switching to P96 I guess I can live with that ;)

Offline doctorq

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 01:43:44 PM »
I think you only need to have the graphics card installed in the machine, but no need for having it active. I'll make some tests later on, to see if it works this way (Zorro graphics card with CGX, Virge PCI graphics card for buffer, and SoundBlaster PCI and FastEthernet PCI) and let you guys know.

Offline aggro_mix

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 02:57:53 PM »
That would be excellent!!! :)

Offline doctorq

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 05:47:18 PM »
The manual from ELBOX states that TV cards and sound cards needs to have a Voodoo installed in order to work. As for fast ethernet cards, it doesn't say. You can use your zorro graphics card for displaying your Workbench screen, but you will need to switch to P96 instead of CGX.

As for the OP, I still think it's the best choice to get a zorro ethernet and sound card. The price for the zorro addons will be less than a new Mediator 4000Di, or the same.

Offline aggro_mix

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 06:34:41 PM »
So if I understand this correctly, the Voodoo only needs to sit there inactive and the sound card will still use it's memory for DMA?

Maybe I should install P96 and have a try.

Offline doctorq

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 07:03:03 PM »
Correct, the Voodoo needs to be installed, but you will have to setup the card in order to use it. In other words, you have to have the Voodoo monitor driver installed in Devs:Monitors together with the graphics card driver for your zorro graphics card.

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 07:35:23 PM »
I can't remember correctly, but with Mediator4000Di you can set a jumper if you use a Z3 gfx card. So maybe DMA works with CV64, but I haven't tested it.

Anyway Voodoo3/Virge aren't difficult to find and will probably be faster for blitter stuff.

BTW, I have one spare Mediator4000Di for sale ;-P
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline doctorq

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 07:46:32 PM »

So maybe DMA works with CV64, but I haven't tested it.

The docs say Voodoo card specifically, so I doubt it. The only  problem I see is the heat the Voodoo card provides, but a Voodoo Banshee should be enough.

Offline mboehmer_e3b

• Show only replies by mboehmer_e3b
    • http://www.e3b.de/usb/
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 08:41:53 PM »

I can't remember correctly, but with Mediator4000Di you can set a jumper if you use a Z3 gfx card. So maybe DMA works with CV64, but I haven't tested it.

Certainly not. If you can translate PCI DMA cycles directly to Zorro III DMA cycles (as you would need to get into the CV64 memory), then you better do directly DMA to the system memory - why waste time and resources on the CPU with the PIO transfer from CV64 memory to system memory?.

As I have read several people's posting in the past years which have similar configurations and a Buster 7 chip, I would bet that there is no direct PCI-Zorro III DMA conversion with Mediators (remember: Buster 7 does not support Zorro III DMA at all).

Michael

Offline sjwallerTopic starter

• Show only replies by sjwaller
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 01:29:25 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys ...

Going to ditch the idea of the Mediator and go for an all Zorro solution. Now I just need to find a Zorro based RJ45 network card and sound card at a reasonable price ...

Ho hum ...

doctorq: Just realised it's you who I've just bought the CV64 from!!! As you can see I'm trying to work out how I'm going to set my miggy up before it arrives...