Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Possible NEW USB solutions for the Amiga  (Read 5171 times)

Description:

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
Re: Possible NEW USB solutions for the Amiga
« Reply #14 from previous page: November 06, 2012, 03:05:08 PM »
Quote from: platon42;714032
Carefully look at Errata number 1 (I've got no idea if the SMD hub chip crasbe is going to glue onto the board his this "problem", but if it has, then no mice or keyboards will be working)
I would guess that wouldn't pass initial tests, so he wouldn't use that chipset.  Something to be aware of tho....

Quote from: platon42;714032
and number 6 (not that the other ones aren't bad, but the last one would make me refrain from using any MSD devices with it!).
It sounds like that's just something to be aware of for the USB stack (don't use "auto-increment").  I don't see how this affects me at all..
The performance of USB (especially over clockport) is probably going to be throttled by many other things before this would cause an issue..
And remember, this is supposed to be low cost, so slower isn't a big deal.  People who need more speed can buy the more expensive faster cards.  ;-)

So, I don't see any major issues holding this back..

Looking forward to a possible clockport version.

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline platon42

• Show only replies by platon42
    • http://www.platon42.de/
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 11:30:27 PM »
Quote from: desiv;714033
I would guess that wouldn't pass initial tests, so he wouldn't use that chipset.  Something to be aware of tho....

AFAIK he has not planned to do too many iterations.

It sounds like that's just something to be aware of for the USB stack (don't use "auto-increment").  I don't see how this affects me at all..
The performance of USB (especially over clockport) is probably going to be throttled by many other things before this would cause an issue..
And remember, this is supposed to be low cost, so slower isn't a big deal.  People who need more speed can buy the more expensive faster cards.  ;-)

This is not a clockport card, but a Zorro card. 95% of the CPU time is spent in the copyloop for copying data to and from the USB chip for any card (except for the Deneb in DMA mode, where, hence, the Buster will do the copying) -- at least with bulk transfers involved. The current driver implementation of the Thylacine uses the auto-increment mode. The workaround (in the HCI driver, not the USB stack BTW) as stated in the errata would AT LEAST halve the speed of the data transfer on an already slow 8 bit interface. In my eyes it would render the mass storage use case useless.

So, I don't see any major issues holding this back..

Sometimes I wish the Amiga users wouldn't be wearing those reality-warping glasses.

Looking forward to a possible clockport version.

desiv

The very first Subway prototype used the SL811HS chipset. After experimenting with it in March 2001, it was found completely inadequate and unreliable and was abandoned in favour of the UHC124 chipset (both used on the production version of the Subway and Highway).
--
Regards, Chris Hodges )-> http://www.platon42.de <-(
hackerkey://v4sw7CJS$hw6/7ln6pr7+8AOP$ck0ma8u2LMw1/4Xm5l3i5TJCOTextPad/e7t2BDMNb7GHLen5a34s5IMr1g3/5ACM

Offline danbeaverTopic starter

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 04:27:19 PM »
Could you remark on the unreliable and inadequate statement?  It seems to work on the Thylacine card for 1.1 devices. When there are no solutions out there, even a compromised one is better than none

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 05:42:49 PM »
Quote from: platon42;714053
This is not a clockport card, but a Zorro card.
Yes, but as I said, I'm hoping for a clockport version.
The workaround (in the HCI driver, not the USB stack BTW) as stated in the errata would AT LEAST halve the speed of the data transfer on an already slow 8 bit interface. In my eyes it would render the mass storage use case useless.
However, not all Amiga owners see things thru your eyes, hence there are multiple solutions..  At least half (maybe slower) than it "could be" is still better than no USB (or so expensive that they can't afford it).

Sometimes I wish the Amiga users wouldn't be wearing those reality-warping glasses.
Funny, I'm looking at my office, and I see an Amiga 1200 that wouldn't care about "half the speed."  I think that Amiga is real..
Hold on, let me check...

Hmm...
It seems real....  ;-)

Or do you mean because you "require" it to be faster, that anything that isn't faster is wrong for everyone else?

I wasn't saying this would be the best card ever...
I was saying that even with it's drawbacks (which I admitted are there, no "warped reality"), there are plenty of people who could enjoy it given it's possible price point.

I wasn't saying it wasn't a bad solution for you.  Just that it might be an OK solution for other people..

desiv
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 05:46:42 PM by desiv »
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 09:11:22 PM »
Folks,

Build a better mouse trap; I will buy one!  It can't all be a"bust."  Just charge more. I mean have you seen the prices for stuff these days, and I'm still in line

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 01:59:43 AM »
A check of the postings show major work under way with one card sporting an Ethernet interface. Moma's makin' some gravy now!!

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2013, 02:02:03 AM »
I've had two NEW Thylacine cards for a week now from the amazing Genny_Flick. They may only support thumb drives, mice, keyboards, printers, scanners, and Asix based Ethernet dongles, but even with the slow 1.1 speed for €91 or $121 or £78 it is a great investment.

We should all support our own community and display more purring and less hissing.

Offline djos

• Show only replies by djos
    • http://users.adam.com.au/djorlc/
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 05:16:06 AM »
is there a thread on AmiBay for these?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 08:16:43 PM »
Yes.

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2013, 05:00:19 AM »
The Thylacine re-developer is working on a half-size board of this USB board.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 05:12:41 AM by danbeaver »

Offline Rabbi

• Show only replies by Rabbi
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2013, 07:52:31 PM »
Is there any hope of another run of Subway or Deneb cards in the future or is that thought a futile one and, if so, why?
--------------------------------------------------------
In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?
===================================================================
Computer used:     Amiga A1200 (NTSC version) with 128 MB ...

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2013, 01:58:43 AM »
Deneb or Subway?  Ask Michael at E3B.  But Jens should have an anouncement about his X-Surf 100 with 100 Mbs Ethernet and USB onboard.