Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The old great AMOS  (Read 6109 times)

Description:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: The old great AMOS
« Reply #14 from previous page: November 26, 2004, 02:50:14 PM »

dambala wrote:
Hi everyone!

After a long busy period I'm back...

I'm happy that there is so much people still interested in AMOS :-)
I'm still working on the Java Interpreter and maybe soon I'll release the sources...

@bloodlin:
AMAL was great for multitasking, but maybe now is more simple to have many procedures as tasks than a strange "reduced" basic as AMAL.

I've not yet starting coding AMAL maybe is too early to speak about it ;)

AMAL showed me how brilliant multiprocessing was back in 1990! But you are right a new (multithreading style) system based on procedures would be better... but What I was asking was if and how you would support AMAL, as that would be vital for AMOS compatibility.

Offline dambalaTopic starter

• Show only replies by dambala
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2004, 04:34:55 PM »

bloodline:
AMAL showed me how brilliant multiprocessing was back in 1990! But you are right a new (multithreading style) system based on procedures would be better... but What I was asking was if and how you would support AMAL, as that would be vital for AMOS compatibility.

In this moment I don't think AMAL is a priority, but the interpreter is extensible, so AMAL could be 'inserted' in every moment in the AMOS compatibility module (containing all non generic basic commands).
Anyway I don't think AMAL is a great implementation issue, it's only a simplified basic, very simple to parse. :-)

Offline Steev

• Show only replies by Steev
    • http://www.bluedust.com
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2004, 05:19:17 PM »
I'd certainly be interested in the sources. Are you writing the converter in Java, too?

As my Java can not match my C++ abilities, would you be adverse to someone else creating a C-code generator on the backend?

Thanks,

Steev
p.s. I had this very idea earlier today and thanks to the power of the internet I found someone else who thought it a good idea too :) Dontyajustlove the net?!

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2004, 05:49:55 PM »
@steev

Sidewinder and I (mostly Sidewinder) are working on an AMOS compatible compiler that uses a C compiler as a backend called Mattathias.  (Note the version on the website generates 68k assembler.)

There is an AMOS interpreter for SDL-based targets being worked on in C++ called Alvyn.

Both projects are open-source and short on help so drop either party a line.  I'm sure your C++ knowledge will come in handy.

Offline Steev

• Show only replies by Steev
    • http://www.bluedust.com
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2004, 02:20:23 PM »

SamuraiCrow wrote:

Sidewinder and I (mostly Sidewinder) are working on an AMOS compatible compiler that uses a C compiler as a backend called Mattathias.  (Note the version on the website generates 68k assembler.)

Yep, I saw that! I'm not on my development machine at the mo so I've got no way of running it, but I've grabbed the source from CVS to have a poke around :)

There is an AMOS interpreter for SDL-based targets being worked on in C++ called Alvyn.

Yep, I saw that too! I'm still undecided whether the 'correct' way is to interpret the code at run-time, or generate code that is then compiled and run.

My current fascination, FWIW, is with Parrot, and I think there's mileage there.

Both projects are open-source and short on help so drop either party a line.  I'm sure your C++ knowledge will come in handy.

I will certainly do so, as I'm looking for a new project with which to start the new year!

Steev

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2004, 04:25:46 PM »

Steev wrote:

SamuraiCrow wrote:

Yep, I saw that! I'm not on my development machine at the mo so I've got no way of running it, but I've grabbed the source from CVS to have a poke around :)

The CVS source on sourceforge is an old interpreted version of Mattathias.  Ignore it and ask amiga@ssmnet.net for some recent source.