Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bye bye, Symbian!  (Read 3505 times)

Description:

Offline HammerD

Re: Bye bye, Symbian!
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 08:11:07 PM »
Quote from: tone007;614882
http://www.npr.org/2011/02/11/133684944/nokia-microsoft-join-forces-on-smart-phones

Symbian was/is crap anyway.  Good bye and I won't miss you! :)
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 08:12:20 PM »
Quote from: itix;614914
This is simply great. Symbian was nothing but piece of sh*t.

To be replaced with another steaming pile, this time courtesy of Microsoft.

int p; // A

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 08:23:12 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;614917
To be replaced with another steaming pile, this time courtesy of Microsoft.

And what other options they had? Going Android was not an option and Meego is nothing but hot air. They should have started making new OS from a scratch but Nokia lacks talent on that area.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 09:48:39 PM »
Quote from: itix;614920
And what other options they had? Going Android was not an option and Meego is nothing but hot air. They should have started making new OS from a scratch but Nokia lacks talent on that area.

These days, any significant reason not to go with Android, rather than start from scratch or lock themselves into another vendor?

Offline hooligan

• Show only replies by hooligan
    • http://www.mikseri.net/hooligan
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 10:15:24 PM »
Quote from: runequester;614886
If windows mobile is anything to judge by, wake me up when microsoft realizes its not 1998 anymore.

If Amiga is anything to judge by, wake me up when people realizes its not 1998 anymore ;)

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 10:16:41 PM »
Quote from: hooligan;614943
If Amiga is anything to judge by, wake me up when people realizes its not 1998 anymore ;)

Unfortunately I checked at Best Buy, and it turns out Crysis won't come out for the amiga :(

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 10:44:25 PM »
Win Phone 7 isn't a bad mobile OS, anyone who has used it will tell you it's not all that bad.  But it's still a day late and a buck short and it will never even dent iOS and Android market share.

Nokia is in a hell of a spot with how rapidly their losses are stacking up, despite still being the most used brand of phone on the planet.

However, one thing Nokia always did right was hardware.  Anyone who has used the N8 and virtually all of its' more recent smartphone predecessors will tell you it's a great phone, hardware wise.  A little on the fat side physically, but the Zeiss lenses/cameras they are putting in them are simply stunning.

Nokia putting bank in Win phone 7 is however, a mistake.  The OS is nice, completely usable by anyones standards, it just won't ever be a formidable threat to Android or the iPhone.  They are putting their money on the wrong horse if they are solely going to be offering WP7 handsets.

I wish they had gone with Android - an Android/Nokia phone would be a hell of a piece of kit if done right.

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 11:10:02 PM »
From my spontaneous impression I also thought Nokia would be better off with Android, but then again latest Windows phone showed that MS learned quite a lesson. Plus, there is one thing that dramatically speaks for MS: Usually they are pretty successful on the market.

Anyway, since my quite some years old mobile started to fail recently I was justgoing to order a Nokia C5 (seems to be good enough for my mobile demand) and will probably do so regardless of these changes, but once it arrives I'll better quickly download all maps from the ovi store as long as the service will remain available.

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 11:20:35 PM »
I have never used Windows Phone ever, but I developed for Windows Mobile once and I had to cry a little. The complete inability of the designers to understand a phone is NOT the equivalent of a desktop pc (having to use the stylus to operate a telephone is just not practical, nor has the start menu principle has any benefits, and especially not on a phone) plus it being much more unstable than even the lousiest Win9x incarnation... It's just... gah!
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 11:20:57 PM »
Apparently Nokia's deal with MS gives them a lot more control over the platform than other manufacturers have been given.  Whether that will be a benefit to Nokia, or piss off other WP7 manufacturers is anybody's guess, but it sounds like a marriage of convenience (or desperation) to me.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 11:36:15 PM »
Quote from: Speelgoedmannetje;614958
I have never used Windows Phone ever, but I developed for Windows Mobile once and I had to cry a little. The complete inability of the designers to understand a phone is NOT the equivalent of a desktop pc (having to use the stylus to operate a telephone is just not practical, nor has the start menu principle has any benefits, and especially not on a phone) plus it being much more unstable than even the lousiest Win9x incarnation... It's just... gah!

I only have experience with 6.1 but it is indeed dreadfull. Freezes and crashes for no apparent reason, and a LOT of basic functionality just isn't there.

Offline aMIGA_dUDE

• Show only replies by aMIGA_dUDE
    • http://www.andrewguard.com/
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 11:36:41 PM »
The intresting thing here is how will it effect the patent battle's between Nokia and Apple now?

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2011, 12:23:41 AM »
Win Phone 7 is so head and shoulders above the old Windows Mobile OS the two really cannot be compared, both in actual user end experience and in regards to developers.  Win Mobile was an unmitigated trainwreck in comparison to the new MS phone OS.

Offline brownb2

• Show only replies by brownb2
    • http://www.silentdevelopment.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2011, 01:12:26 AM »
Symbian is like that old faithful dog, it used to be really good but as it got older and younger dogs ran rings around it it wanted to show it's master it still had a few tricks up its sleeve (cf. touch screens). It never quite pulled it off but you pitied it and patted it well done anyway (well I did - I got the Nokia 5230, great phone for battery life/GPS, naff for apps).

Symbian is imho the most bug free and secure platform, something which Android and Windows can't hold a candle to... shame that it looks so dated and it's UI behaviour is so peculiar (esp. with app locations, configuration etc.).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 01:31:23 AM by brownb2 »
A600 (3.48/4.46 MIPS) - 2MB Chip, 4MB PCMCIA, 11MB Fast, ACA-620 OC 680EC20@16.67/25MHz, RTC, 512MB CF HD, WB 2.1
A1200 (7.36 MIPS) - 2MB Chip 8MB Fast, MTEC Viper 68030@42MHz MMU, 68882 FPU, RTC, 1GB CF HD, T.Turbo 2, 2 Ext. Floppies, WB 3.0.
Atari 520 STFM - 1MB, Multiface ST.
Commodore 16 - 64K Mod, SD2IEC Drive
Commodore 64C - 64K, SD2IEC Drive
ZX Spectrum 48K Rubber Key - 48K, Composite Mod
ZX Spectrum +2B - 128KB
ZX Spectrum +3 - 128KB, DivIDE+ 64MB CF HD, Multiface 3.

Offline hooligan

• Show only replies by hooligan
    • http://www.mikseri.net/hooligan
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 01:17:42 AM »
Maybe some of you does not realize that the change from Symbian to Win is not done in one day. The WinOS will mature, I estimate it will take at least one or two years for Nokia to bring up a new concept-phone. I'm sure MS will invest a whole lot more time and money now that the marketleader in mobiles is with them.

Offline Khephren

• Show only replies by Khephren
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 12, 2011, 02:43:02 AM »
Quote from: aMIGA_dUDE;614964
The intresting thing here is how will it effect the patent battle's between Nokia and Apple now?

nokias current stupidity means that someone will buy them for their IP in a few years, who has the cash?
apple does.

@duce, good post mate.

the new guy elop has really thrown the baby out with the bath water. maemo was ace, if meemo was even half as good, it would have been ok. symbian was looking crusty and bloated, mainly on the UI. fixable, it certainly ran ok on lower end handsets- which helped nokia dominate the developing world (of which china and india are going to be very important, very soon).
they became intimidated, desperate to jump on someone elses band wagon, and let suits rule the day- weve seen this train wreck before, in fact most of us lived though it in 94