Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Technology Acquires Personal Paint  (Read 10700 times)

Description:

Offline pVC

Re: A-EON Technology Acquires Personal Paint
« on: November 28, 2014, 01:33:43 PM »
Quote from: Djole;778483
I really dont see a problem in removing the free version of PPaint from aminet and hosting it on their own site. People can directly compare the free version with the up to date one and decide if its worth buying or not.

Yeah, it wouldn't be that big problem if it'd go that way. And maybe also a readme to Aminet explaining where you can get it. I'd be OK for me.

BUT, currently it seems that it won't be available that easily. It hasn't been said it'll be on their web site, it's been said to be on their "servers", which currently looks like that it means it'll be available only through their Amistore software.

It gives a lot of trouble, for example:
1) Amistore application is currently only available for OS4. 68k version is coming some day, but currently you need OS4 to get the software.
2) You need network connection and beefy enough Amiga to run Amistore. You can't get the software directly with Windows, Linux or Mac (to transfer it with other means to Amiga) unless running it on emulation and that might be a bit too big hassle for many users just wanting the old free PPaint to their old Amiga.
3) You probably need to register and take other actions before getting the software you used to have easily on Aminet. Old version's readme could have been updated to direct interested people to new commercial versions.

The free version is still available and even if it was not, it wouldnt be a disaster, it was free for years, users who wanted it already have it.

I can't believe we wouldn't have any new users or old users coming back ever anymore. And nobody would want to reinstall their system? Not everyone is keeping backups of their installation archives which are expected to be freely available anyway. For example many demosceners try different platforms etc and for them PPaint would be a great help, but I'm afraid they won't always look further than Aminet, but their productivity would do good for the Amiga.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 01:46:00 PM by pVC »
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline pVC

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 04:29:11 PM »
Quote from: Djole;778521
Sadly you are wrong, you assumed it would only be available via Amistore but its not. You can download from http://ppaint.amistore.net/. We should be happy there is a company willing to invest in anything Amiga related but all we do is complain and whine.... like always....

Yes, now we are wiser, but until this it was asked several times, but no clear answer was given. Only that same mantra of "our servers". I wouldn't wonder that it was public pressure which made this decision.

Seems I can download it now, but it's coming steady 8kB/s... I wonder if it's restricted speed.

I complain because this is a program which is good advertisement for our beloved platform. It's  been good for Amiga to have it freely from Aminet. I want it to be available for future users and future of Amiga. No personal reasons here.

Offline pVC

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 09:57:14 PM »
How about if we find a developer to do the port for free? :)

BTW. If I have PPaint 7.3 from Amiga Forever, can I get future updates of PPaint for free without buying next year's AF?

Offline pVC

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 10:55:32 PM »
Quote from: broadblues;778671
er what if I arrange for someone to do your job for free? :-)

If I still get paid, bring it on! But anyway, I thought you don't have MorphOS machine and maybe not interest either.. I thought it'd be someone else to do that job.

7.2 comes with AF not 7.3

So, can I get it updated to 7.3 and up?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 10:59:46 PM by pVC »

Offline pVC

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 10:16:00 AM »
Quote from: broadblues;778481
Not sure how layers would work in an 8bit gfx program, layers based programs such as ahen , SketchBlock, reply on alpha blending and other advanced pixel manipulations like multiply add subtract that do not translate well.

Do you have an example of a 8bit program using layers so I can see how it works in relation to them?

I'm more oldskool painter and haven't used layers much, but couldn't it be quite useful with 8bits too if you could just draw layers over each other and underlaying layer would just be shown on transparent background color of upper layers? And you could rearrange layer order and enable/disable them.

You could for example have some texts in middle layer and then it would be easy to rewrite them without bigger hassle?

I could see advantages even with that without any more complex processing.

Offline pVC

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 08:28:10 PM »
Many others have already bought 68k version for MorphOS use (me and several friends for example), and would probably buy the native version too, but I guess there isn't good (or at least visible) channels to express it...

Offline pVC

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 06:10:39 AM »
I would love to get Napalm fixed better...