Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: C64 SD Card Reader  (Read 10378 times)

Description:

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show all replies
Re: C64 SD Card Reader
« on: May 26, 2010, 05:02:32 PM »
Quote from: recidivist;561103
I have been planning to buy a 64NIC ,will have to ask Jim if 64NIC and uIEC/SD can coexist.

Yes they can. The uIEC only connects to the IEC (floppy serial port) so it is just like a floppy drive to the computer. I have both a uIEC and 64nic+ in my 128T and use them both at the same time with no problem.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 05:19:33 PM »
Quote from: recidivist;561130
Well then ,Jim will probably be getting some of my money in a few days.

Even if my co-workers laugh at my Commodore hobby.

There is a small learning curve with the uIEC, but not very difficult. If you don't have JiffyDOS, I extremely strongly suggest you get it. If you have and know JiffyDOS, uIEC is a breeze. The uIEC is an amazing device for a very cheap price, cheap in relative terms.

I don't usually even bother telling co-workers about my hobby. Most of us retro hobbyists grew up with computers in the 70's and 80's, we are a minority. Most people think an early computer is a 1999 Packard Bell running AOL 5.0 Operating system :rolleyes: They won't get it and never will, so I don't even bother.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 07:36:41 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;561296
uIEC/SD sounds good, but is Jiffy DOS mandatory? My main use (for now) is so I can save things I create with MSSIAH.

As for the learning curb, I'm sure you guys would be more than willing to help out. :)

JiffyDOS is not mandatory, just extremely helpful. You can do everything the long way manually with Commodore Basic/DOS commands.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 11:04:02 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;561766
Which port is the user port, and why do you stray away from getting power from it?

Actually I believe tone misspoke. The uIEC gets power from the cassette port, not user port. The cassette port is the narrow card edge connector on your 64. There are no real disadvantages for the average user.

Unless you plan to use a read mechanical hard drive at some point, a uIEC/SD would probably be sufficient for you.