Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Hyperion Entertainment Website http://a-eon.com/ - The Mystery Continues  (Read 85122 times)

Description:

Offline AeroMan

• Show all replies
Gee.... I just got back to the forum after a huge new year hang over and I find 17 pages af new stuff. I always get amazed about how fast those topics grow.

I didn't read all the posts, so if I'm saying something that somebody did before, please excuse me.

I bet is a QorIQ. If you take a look at the source code, they test for a list of PPCs to give you the message "Ooooh you're so smart you'll cut yourself. But we still ain't telling. Sorry, we'd love to. Can't. It's quite a story, actually.."

It should be some kind of PPC, and the QorIQ is quite nice :-)

Offline AeroMan

• Show all replies
Quote from: Karlos;536341
That was my guess too (pwrficient), based on 5 mins googling and a quick appraisal of the apparently supported features. However, since apple now own it, how are they supposed to acquire them?

I've discarded PA Semi for the same reasons. I still bet on the QorIQ.
XCore seems nice :D
Man, I can´t wait to see...

Offline AeroMan

• Show all replies
Quote from: chiark;536470
True, but people are saying that they'd only consider investing in something at netbook money...  netbooks are in my view crippled pcs, and like an 8 bit computer compared to the amiga at the time of launch (ok, that's hyperbole, but hopefully you get what I'm trying to say :D )

I don´t agree with that. If you are focusing on portability, netbooks are unbeatable. My EEE fits on my briefcase, a notebook would require a second case to carry. The computing power is enough for my needs.
It is an interesting marketing for an Amiga device. Considering some companies are heading to non Intel solutions to play Browser focused apps, we only need a decent browser
A desktop/netbook pair would work just like A1200/A4000. (that´s my opinion...)

There will always be a low end with a price point.  There will always be a high end, which will have a more varying pricepoint IMHO...

Agree... Amigas made a bridge between then with the A500/A2000, A600/A3000 and A1200/A4000. You could start with the small one and go big box when you wish. I like that Idea

Fully agree: if this thing doesn't support a decent browser and multimedia - and in some people's eyes the browser is the OS - then it will be tricky.

Agree again. It is a major need

Offline AeroMan

• Show all replies
Quote from: chiark;536487
I collect the libretto series and have from the 50ct through to the U100 :D

Librettos are nice :D

Quote from: chiark;536487
But should Amiga be a netbook competitor?  Should that be the primary marketplace that Hyperion aims for?  I personally think not.  That's not to say I wouldn't *finally* love a portable Amiga! :D

Why not? This area still have space for non-intel and non-windows machines. Let me dream a little bit... :D

BTW: If they are planning to play with the Titan, I'm happy. It's specs are quite nice. Like in that "Two Stupid dogs" cartoon, I hope somebody there is screaming "Let´s make a riiiiiight price" :D

Offline AeroMan

• Show all replies
Quote from: persia;536579
How about a punched card reader too?

It has a CF reader. You can punch one and try :D

Now for the serious question: Does anybody have experience with the XMOS chip? It looks very nice, but what it is capable of?
I undertand that as it uses a parallel architecture, I should not take the 400Mips speed as I would do for an ARM fo example, but is it fast enough for data processing, or it is just something I could use for minor tasks?
Would it make the difference or would it better to rely on raw CPU power instead?

Offline AeroMan

• Show all replies
Quote from: SamuraiCrow;536668
@AeroMan

My understanding is that the XCore chip sits in a sleep state and only wakes up for processing I/O and things that you would normally use interrupts to handle.

The CPU should be much more powerful.

It makes no sense to me to use it just as a LED blinker... I believe they should have some nice idea in mind for it.
I was hoping somebody here had worked with this chip before

Offline AeroMan

• Show all replies
Quote from: Hans_;536789
What, you don't want a KITT simulator for your PC? :-P

Hans

Only if they sell me a talking Pontiac with a Xorro board interface :D
(A black Trans Am.... coooooool!)

Offline AeroMan

• Show all replies
Quote from: hazydave;537277

I'd much rather have seen an FPGA that could be addressed on the PCIe bus, as a standard feature. A decent one could be programmed to accelerate all sorts of things that the CPU may be too anemic to do to a modern par. I don't see how a PEAK of 1600MIPS (all four cores and all eight threads per keeping busy) is a big help, even to a 6000MIPS or so host processor. But if it's doing something significant to handle I/O, then maybe it's a good idea. Again, have to see just what they're doing with it.

I have the same opinion. A FPGA could be programmed to emulate AGA for compatibility and other nice stuff. They selected a 400MIPS chip, so based on speed, it is not a big help regarding processing power
If the idea is to use the XMOS to handle some kind of internal IO operations, it is a good one. But if they are aiming at using this chip to control some kind of user port, few people would take advantage of it. Probably, just geeky engineers like me :D
At some point, they stated that it could be used to emulate SID. I believe most of us would expect this chip to be capable of emulating the Amiga chipset, or doing something brand new. (I bet on the last one)
Anyway,  the XMOS chip seems very nice, as a microcontroller. I could not resist to show that to the folks at work.
(PS: Oh my god, I'm talking to "the man". It's such an honor)

Offline AeroMan

• Show all replies
Quote from: itix;537309

It could be used to emulate SID chip (to replace entire player there isnt enough SRAM) but making such chip which works as good as original SID chip is such achievement that I doubt it...

Yeah, SID is more analog than digital. Beautiful stuff from the days when raw brains counted more than raw processing power. Genius work !!!
Have you seen the C64 version of Desert Dream? Check on Youtube. It is hard to believe that they made the music with one channel less and they are doing that without Paula´s capabilities.

Ok, way off-topic, but I could not resist...

Offline AeroMan

• Show all replies
Quote from: Crom00;540413
Pretty funny the Acorn Archimdes architecture now powers Apple products.

It is even funnier to know that most of us Amiga maniacs are dreaming about x86 powered Amiga...