Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Hyperion Entertainment Website http://a-eon.com/ - The Mystery Continues  (Read 85119 times)

Description:

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
Quote from: Zac67;537195
Has it? I can't see that anywhere. I can see false moves with Intel's P4 and - even more apparent - Itanium's 64 bit approach (not a bad design for a start, but bad migration path & marketing) . But AMD's 64 bit move has put so much fresh air into everything x86 that it's here to stay.

x86/64 is absolutely dominant in the professional segment, the home computing & gaming segment and super-computing. If Intel's plans work out it'll even dominate the embedded market but that remains to be seen. IBM's Power has some niche it still defends, but nobody knows how long that's gonna last. Everything else is pretty much dead or dying - PA-Risc, Alpha, Sparc. ARM & MIPS have conquered their markets but not without threat from x86.

x86 is pretty dominant indeed, though its worth noting that all three current generation consoles use powerPC and consoles rule gaming with an iron fist.

The embedded market seems to be an interesting place for new stuff coming up and showing itself. Very refreshing.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
Quote from: Hell Labs;537219
Suppose PPC will be fine for us for a while then, so long as we don't mind only low and low-mid end hardware. If the next gen consoles use something else other than PPC there'll be no steam behind the architecture, and we'll be buggered. again.

Excuse me while I fire up the time machine and rob a bank to fund escom.

If we're bringing in time machines, I'd make sure IBM rather than Gateway gets the spoils after Escom.. then twist whatever arms I need to, to have the amiga OS released as open source as soon as damn possible, and lean back and see what the world can come up with

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
Quote from: hazydave;537293
Let's see.. there hasn't been a new PowerPC desktop chip in six years, but you really think the x86 is ending its life. Despite the fact Intel and AMD sell over half a billion CPUs a year? Despite the fact that Intel is nearly 15% of the IC industry's sales, but nearly half of the profits for the ENTIRE chip industry (hint: the AVERAGE CPU is sold for $6.00.... ?

And despite widely published roadmaps to the contrary?
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/intel_32nm_westmere_roadmap/
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/amd_cpu_roadmap_update_2008/
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-deneb-heka-propus,6364.html

I have a question to you lot in general, since I don't know a ton about processors.

Its pretty obvious that x86 is ruling the desktop, and it seems ARM has embedded devices as their big thing. Why did the next gen consoles use powerPC processors?

Im not trying to pick a fight or anything, Im just curious. Do they do better in a smaller (physical) machine or less heat or what made them go that way ?

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
Quote from: WotTheFook;537355
I think all A-Eon are selling are rose-tinted Amiga glasses, nothing more; it's like beer goggle surgery for nerds and the number of people seduced by this hype has amazed me.

What never ceases to amaze me is that people will actually prefer software and hardware NOT to be used.

What do we lose if this particular computer gets sold with OS4 ?

Nothing. But it'll be fun to play with.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
Thanks for the explanation guys. That makes a lot of sense.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
Quote from: Crom00;540413
Pretty funny the Acorn Archimdes architecture now powers Apple products.

I think at this point, Apple has put stuff on just about every architecture they can come across