Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Hyperion Entertainment Website http://a-eon.com/ - The Mystery Continues  (Read 85119 times)

Description:

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
Re: New Hyperion Entertainment Website http://a-eon.com/ - The Mystery Continues
« Reply #614 from previous page: January 18, 2010, 12:19:02 AM »
Quote from: Boudicca;538795
yes your right on that point, not until the OS4 Community write something worth having, will OS4 grow but Linux didn't have many folk either until LAMP wiped its feet.  MacOS didn't get going until DTP came through the door. Windows didn't get going until Word went GUI and DOS didn't get going until Wordstar, DB2 and Supercalc walked along. Amiga didn't get going until the graphics/sound were realised and the Lemmings dived off cliffs. The list goes on. CP/M didn't get going until MultiCalc......

It's been about six years. Nothing is coming.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
Well I suspect that the 2010 iPhone, the 3G Suppa Duppa, or what ever they decide to call it, will have a >1 GHz processor and sell for less than the X1000.  

Why would I spend premium money on crude petroleum?  How do you sell a computer that's "less powerful than a netbook, but costs more than a dual quad core?  One without memory protection and simple security?  What does this X chip give you anyway?  A small processor that has it's own IO that will blow up the whole overpriced motherboard if you get the voltages the wrong way round.  Emulation?  Of what?  Virtually all emulation of classic computers will be faster and more accurate on a simple core2duo.

Somebody explain what a low powered embedded system can do for me?  Why would I want one?  What can it do better than a regular desktop PC?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline minator

• Show only replies by minator
    • http://www.blachford.info
Quote from: leszeka33;538716
You should accept the fact that the Amiga still represents the level of the middle pc available in a shop.

Currently you can only buy the Sam440 which is well below anything in the mainstream PC market today and is already beaten by mobile phones.

MorphOS has the G4 Macs but even they are firmly low end compared to PCs.

The X1000 will come in above the netbooks but not for long, there'll be both x86 and ARM based netbook chips that'll beat it within 6 months to a year of its release.

I'm sure the X1000 will be a great machine for those who appreciate it, it will be the most powerful Amiga ever made. However there's not point comparing it with PCs, it just comes out badly.  It's not going to be cheap and compared to PCs, not every powerful.

Just accept the Amiga is a hobbiest machine now and enjoy it, if you can accept that it doesn't matter how it compares with PCs.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 01:01:24 AM by minator »

Offline persia

X1000 isn't an Amiga, Hyperion don't have a license for that brand.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Marcb

• Show only replies by Marcb
Quote from: Boudicca;538670
Oh very droll, All computers, all matter to be exact has a quantum state, its how you look it then determines the outcome.

Actually it's if and how you look at it that determines the outcome.
;)
"...but some animals are more equal than others."

Offline jorkany

Quote from: Mangar;538773
It's all up to personal preference. I'll choose to use AmigaOS when the X1000 comes out because I believe in the OS.

If you've gone this long without picking up an A1 or a SAM, you won't get an X1000 either.

Pull the other leg, it's got bells on it!

Offline jorkany

Quote from: persia;538811
Somebody explain what a low powered embedded system can do for me?  Why would I want one?  What can it do better than a regular desktop PC?

Well, one might say that you simply don't have a creative mind and can't see the possibilities. However, given the amount of innovation coming out of the OS4 community over the last six years, I would hope that people who live in glass houses don't throw rocks.

Offline Boudicca

• Show only replies by Boudicca
Quote from: Marcb;538848
Actually it's if and how you look at it that determines the outcome.
;)

Smart-Arse ;)
was Enterprise Vault (Its an Exchange Fail!), now its EMC Avamar, Dedupe for mostly everything including brain cells.

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
Quote from: persia;538811

Nothing, well, nothing worth writing home about. To top it off, adopters of the x1000 will still have to stuff a mac/windows or linux machine on the desk just to compile their XC programs. LOL

And they'll probably have to buy one of the dev boards from XMOS too unless the gracious folks at hyperion decide to put an xtag header on a slot in the back of the computer.

Offline persia

Here's the new X1000 processor:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
Quote from: persia;540346
Here's the new X1000 processor:

A4 is ARM.

Offline Hell Labs

• Show only replies by Hell Labs
Quote from: persia;538817

Who told you? Hyperion have a perpetual, free, worldwide licence to pretty much anything amiga. Can't get mugh more "Amiga" than that.
A1200 Computer Combat. OS3.0. No accelerator, no fastram, mouse soon. And ebaying it.

Offline Tension

Quote from: persia;538817

Good point Sir!!

I suppose they could call it an "Amiga compatible" system though.  

(Even though it's far from compatible with 99.9% of Amigas!)

Offline Tension

Quote from: Hell Labs;540380
Who told you? Hyperion have a perpetual, free, worldwide licence to pretty much anything amiga. Can't get mugh more "Amiga" than that.

No, only AmigaOS.  Amiga, Inc. still own the Amiga name.

Offline persia

Read the agreement, Amiga Inc agreed to give Hyperion a license to the AmigaOS name as well as the Boingball.  They also agreed not to go into competition with an alternate AmigaOS, and Hyperion agreed that Amiga Anywhere wasn't competition.  Their is no mention of hardware and Amiga Inc granted no license to the name Amiga.  It would be quite possible for Amiga Inc to produce an Amiga computer that ran MS Windows or OS X or Linux or Haiku, they could I suppose event produce machines that ran Hyperion's Amiga OS.  The agreement was software, specifically the OS part.

Personally I'd like to see an Amiga that ran Haiku (partially because you could likely dual boot AROS on it and partially because Haiku is a pretty neat OS).

Quote from: Hell Labs;540380
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Crom00

• Show only replies by Crom00
Quote from: Piru;540366
A4 is ARM.

Pretty funny the Acorn Archimdes architecture now powers Apple products.