Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hyperion: "Halloween special double-treat for the Classic AmigaOS"  (Read 37418 times)

Description:

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
The 4000 and 1200 KS ROMs are a single 512KB file.  What can I use to break these KS ROMs into two parts for the even and odd ROMs?  Or, can these motherboards accept a single 512K ROM?

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
Re: Hyperion: "Halloween special double-treat for the Classic AmigaOS"
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 12:38:21 AM »
Quote from: LoadWB;815710
The 4000 and 1200 KS ROMs are a single 512KB file.  What can I use to break these KS ROMs into two parts for the even and odd ROMs?  Or, can these motherboards accept a single 512K ROM?

Didn't find (or look, really) for anything for Windows/Linux/Mac, but I found

http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/splitkick13

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 08:57:36 PM »
Quote from: olsen;815724
Which layout exactly is needed? Could you describe it?

I believe it is divided into EVEN and ODD ROMs, but I do not know if that is bytes or words.  I read somewhere that WinHex will work for this application in EVEN/ODD words.

I need to pull out the 1200 and 4000 schematics.  I am curious if I can go larger.  512k in two ROMs is 256k, but I wonder if I can use 512k ROMs and build a 1MB ROM image, instead -- with the caveat that my CYberStorm will only MapROM up to 512k.

I am pretty stoked, though.  I never bothered to build my own ROM, though I have wanted to.  In my 4000 that is mostly irrelevant since I have a Deneb with the FlashROM loaded with stuff, but for my 1200, 2000, and 500+, I now have a more up-to-date ROM and may even be inspired to build a custom one to eliminate those annoying power-up reboots.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 11:27:07 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;815761
AFAIR I just saw this conversation somewhere within the past year or two.  A1200 can take up to 1MB but A4000 needs something like a ROMY to do it.

In the same thread someone mentioned some MapROM software that could support up to 1MB, but I don't recall what thread off-hand.

More info here:  http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64034

Nice, thank you.  I wonder why Hyperion chose then to limit the 1200 ROM to 512k with the sacrifice of workbench.library in ROM.  I like the ROMY, and will have to see if Cosmos has any available should I decide to build a custom ROM.  I suppose from reading further up someone would have to update a ROM splitter to help pull out the updates from the new ROMs, provided that would be my starting point, anyway.

Quote from: chris;815767
As a side note, I always thought the naming of 3.5 and 3.9 was terrible. Leaves no scope for newer 3.x versions without resorting to increasingly confusing version numbering.

Always wondered about this.  3.9 always seemed too final.  I suppose we were hoping 4.x would be 68k, as well, but with new bang-up features.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 11:55:52 PM »
Does anyone know if the Winbond W29C040 can be used to hold a Kickstart for the 500/2000 as a drop-in replacement for a 512k EPROM?

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 05:52:55 PM »
Quote from: Pat the Cat;818540
Chip can hold the data but will not physically fit, as it is not a DIL (Dual InLine) package.

It is available in TSOP and PLCC form, but not DIL, sometimes called DIP (DualInlinePackage).

I have ten of them in DIP form-factor sitting here which would disagree with you.  In the TI world there is a special setting on the home-brew cart boards which are required to make it work similarly to a 512k EPROM.  My guess is the 500/600/2000 have the same problem and it won't be a drop-in replacement.  If no one else has tried it I will have to at some point in the near future.  I will make one using the purchased ROM files, though I would rather build my own.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 05:57:02 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;818546
GVP FaaastPrep software is horribly outdated. Even if you can get it to not trash your hard drive, I think it freaks out with drives much larger than 1GB. Dude should be using the latest version of HDtoolbox, just like most of us... and not spamming on unrelated threads, lol. ;)

Good God, I haven't seen or used FaaastPrep since WB1.3 days.  Yeah, no, and yeah, as Gold Five says: "Stay on target."