Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hyperion: "Halloween special double-treat for the Classic AmigaOS"  (Read 38098 times)

Description:

Offline chris

Quote from: Gulliver;815596

Furthermore, there is a lot of 68k material from Hyperion that could have been included to enrich this release, at no cost of development at all. It was just a matter of collecting it from OS4 releases and prereleases.

There's even earlier 68k stuff which could have been included, such as the Y2K fixes (I see the fixed SetClock for 1.3, but IIRC there was something for 3.1 too), the "Euro" update (whether a good idea or not, it's marginally better than not having € available at all on the default fonts), the updated Installer (v43) and - and I'd have thought this would be a shoe-in - SetPatch v43, if not Hyperion's later v50 which works fine on 68k and patches some extra stuff according to the output.

I also get the impression from the OS4 docs, that some parts of OS4's diskfont.library (the outline fonts improved API) date back to before OS4 and presumably were originally for 68k.

Of course there are loads of early 68k components in OS4, a lot of which are updated versions of ones in 3.9.

Lots of scope for future updates for not a lot of effort. Given Hyperion are behind this, getting it feature compatible with 3.9 should be possible, although that's not necessarily the goal.

As a side note, I always thought the naming of 3.5 and 3.9 was terrible. Leaves no scope for newer 3.x versions without resorting to increasingly confusing version numbering.
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz