Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hyperion: "Halloween special double-treat for the Classic AmigaOS"  (Read 37563 times)

Description:

Offline Cosmos

• Show all replies
    • http://leblogdecosmos.blogspot.com
Quote from: Gulliver;815571
Now this is starting to get weird:

Now both Hyperion and Cloanto are developing independent AmigaOS 3.1 continuation branches.
They are both actively selling kickstart licenses.
And have provided affordable disk versions.

So:
At least we got two companies developing the OS for Amigas.
Would this state of affairs fragmentate (yet again) the Amiga scene?
Seems, at last, they both realized money is available in the 68k world.

Food for thought. :)

It's called division = to sink the Classic definitively...

Offline Cosmos

• Show all replies
    • http://leblogdecosmos.blogspot.com
Re: Hyperion: "Halloween special double-treat for the Classic AmigaOS"
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 06:46:47 AM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;815590
Things are weird. I'm not exactly clear how Cloanto operates, and how their process for ROM generation works. I have the impression - but I might be wrong - that they are just collecting a couple of third-party extensions, without integrating them into the overall software repository, and just build ROMs by placing modules "near to each other".

This is kind of how Os 3.9 development worked. External "hackers" (including me) contributing updated sources to the Os, as independent contributers. Unfortunately, the "big picture" gets lost this way. As did some souces. )-:

Frankly, it's not exactly how I believe it should work. The current model for this ROM is just a much saner one: One central repository, a common build-process, and an experienced AmigaOs developer keeping control on the "global picture" (Olsen).

I've learned a lot on software development since 3.9 happened, more on the management and deployment side than the actual hacking, and my firm believe is that the second model Olsen is currently trying to implement is the better one.

That this turns out to be a "Hyperion vs. Cloanto" fight is just sad. It would make much more sense to keep development under a common umbrella.

In the past, you were ALWAYS against romabiliy... And now you want to work on the Kickstart ?

You change your mind because now you smell money (V2, new P5 boards...) with Kick ?

You are a clown...

I'm very curious to know how much money Microsoft (or other...) give you to destroy the Amiga by the inside using division and different directions between us...

edit by eliyahu: OK, i've had enough of your insults, conspiracy theories, and accusations. if you can't abide by the rules of this site, leave. you have a ten-day vacation to consider. enjoy.