Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hyperion: "Halloween special double-treat for the Classic AmigaOS"  (Read 37257 times)

Description:

Offline wawrzon

Re: Hyperion: "Halloween special double-treat for the Classic AmigaOS"
« Reply #14 from previous page: October 20, 2016, 11:47:58 AM »
Quote from: utri007;815540
I bought kickstart and wb mostly for a support. But I started to make a new 1mb custom kickstart and I can't split this kickstart. RomSplit just says unsupported kickstart, what other tools are for that?

of course. romsplit can only disassemble the kickstart it knows. it wont disassemble just any of your custom kickstarts, even though remus can assemble such. im not aware of any other tools to do that, even though an experienced coder could probably extract the modules by hand. your alternative is to take this kickstart as is or to stick to the patched one.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 10:05:14 PM »
Quote from: Pgovotsos;815550
I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV so I don't know. I certainly don't think that Thomas and all are the ones. Complaining to or about them is just a waste of time and can't accomplish anything positive.

there might be some "the lawyers" around, but it is not us. therefore i say, that it is not our job to figure out a solution that would allow for some developments on amiga front. even though im rather impressed that someone like olaf did the work to rearrange sources for better maintainability, as i imagine how much hassle it might be, without a single patch applied. then again, neither this or the few patches to kickstart isnt what the future developments depend on. im not complaining that olaf does this work. i rather fear that it is in vain. and not because of my complaints, but rather because of the so called objective difficulties.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2016, 10:53:07 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;815596
Furthermore, there is a lot of 68k material from Hyperion that could have been included to enrich this release

the thing is that it would probably be much more work porting anything os4 to amiga, than simply fixing some known memory leaks in scsi.device. os4 seems to have whole different philosophy in different areas like library interface. note how much hassle its been to make chris os4 netsurf version to work on amiga half a way.

also, what would that material be, that amiga might require from hyperion. i cant think of awful lot.

and also considering the cost, like memory consumption, question is, is it worth it?

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2016, 11:55:08 PM »
They probably wanted to suggest some quantity update in the perspective, justifying major version number jump. However i see nothing inconsistent if there was 3.10..