Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hyperion: "Halloween special double-treat for the Classic AmigaOS"  (Read 37908 times)

Description:

Offline kamelito

@Olsen
IFAIK 6.58 was the last 68k sas/c is there a 6.59? What are the difference between the two?
https://www.warped.com/amiga/
Kamelito

Offline kamelito

Re: Hyperion: "Halloween special double-treat for the Classic AmigaOS"
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 10:48:30 AM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;815320
Really nothing substantial. The 6.59 had some very preliminary support for PPC binaries, or rather the binary format around it. The code generator is exactly the same, and the bugs are also exactly the same. In essence, it also only supports 68K, and it doesn't generate any better code. Thus, for the very purpose of this update, the 6.58 and 6.59 are exactly the same.

It would have been great to have the SAS/C toolchain source code and all bought by some Amiga company. Parts that are licenced could have been rewritten.
Kamelito

Offline kamelito

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 08:45:25 PM »
@Thomas Richter
I suppose that this is a kind of dream come true to you ;-)
Kamelito

Offline kamelito

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 12:37:57 PM »
Quote from: kolla;815504
Exactly, maintainability also means availability.

Apple was working in secret on an X86/X64 version of Mac OSX since the beginning it was not available yet it was maintained...
It was probably a mistake to do not update the 68k branch as it is where most users are. We also know that the so called Classic users, the hardcore one will never take the PPC route. Jedi tricks do not work on them.
Better later than never though.

Kamelito

Offline kamelito

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 01:13:24 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;815598
I'd like to see the whole of OS4.1 back ported to 68k. Obviously it'd be slow as hell on even an 060 but emulators won't have that problem.

Emulators are already running AmigaOS 4.1, but I agree 68k with FPGA will be faster over time so a backport could be possible, desirable even. They will probably made more money than on NG I guess.
Kamelito