Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Documentary  (Read 5841 times)

Description:

Offline VivaAmigaTopic starter

• Show only replies by VivaAmiga
Amiga Documentary
« on: July 07, 2010, 07:54:31 PM »
Hello everyone...

I lurk here occasionally, don't really post since I don't use an Amiga heavily these days...(though I held on longer than many - used a Toaster setup as recently as 2002). But I've finally got some interesting news to share!

I'm making a documentary about the Amiga, and it's gonna be awesome.  My partners and I are in the production phase now, shooting has begun.

Check the website:

www.amigafilm.com

If anyone is interested in helping out, please contact me at vivaamiga@yahoo.com. One thing I desperately need is high-quality versions of things like Amiga commercials and promotional videos, (Youtube links and FLVs and such won't cut it.) Also need scans of magazine ads, sales materials, etc.

Help is appreciated, but mostly I just wanted to let everyone know! I figured this is fairly newsworthy here. Wish me luck, it's already been an adventure so far! I can't wait to show the world in glorious HD with badass graphics just how cool the Amiga was and still is.

-Zach Weddington
Producer, Viva Amiga
vivaamiga@yahoo.com

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
Re: Amiga Documentary
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 08:10:15 PM »
Great news!

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 08:24:37 PM »
Thanks, I owe the Amiga, it did a lot for me, so it's payback time! :)

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 09:35:15 PM »
that's very cool!

if you haven't already done so, contact Kermit of Novadesign
http://www.novadesign.com/

he's got the NoveDesign show reel that includes frames from a film where three Amiga's were used to create the special effects. The film was Hologram Man produced by PM (now defunct).

We continued to use those Amigas using mostly ImageFX but also Lightwave and some other programs for other films.

I wish I had those frames, but I don't unfortunately

I hope Kermit still does.
I also was able to have a career in graphics and films because the Amiga let me learn all about that on my own. In those days (early 90's) there was no such thing as classes in this topic. There were only Amiga groups which I attended obsessively.

the History of the Amiga is a story that has to be told.
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline Amiduffer

• Show only replies by Amiduffer
    • http://www.geocities.com/laverdiereaf/
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 09:43:53 PM »
What's really needed is a good documentary about the Corporate insanity that took a cutting edge technology and squandered it. A how-to-not-destroy your company product. You could make a nice cloak and dagger Who-dunnit out of the post-Commodore rollercoaster, especially with Ryan and A.inc. 8) That stuff is right out of the cheeziest B-Grade mystery thriller, almost. "The Curse of the Commodore Corpse" would make a good title.
Amiga 3000D UP and running! Hear that clicking. 8)
Amiga 3000D & 4000D in storage sadly.

Offline goldfish

• Show only replies by goldfish
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 10:30:09 PM »
Cool maybe this will make up for it being so hard to get a fair priced version of the rise and fall of commodore. Any idea of a release date.

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 11:17:18 PM »
Good luck, would be great to see this underground machine's story told.
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline cpfuture

• Show only replies by cpfuture
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 03:35:57 PM »
Fantastic initiative, Zach! Wish you the best of luck. Eager to see it progress!!

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 03:42:11 PM »
Thanks Cecilia, I will most definitely contact Kermit in the near future. Thanks for the tip! I have definitely come across Nova Design before, thanks for the memory jog.  And thanks to everyone else for the good wishes! -z

Offline hishamk

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 08:10:38 PM »
Good stuff, indeed!

I've got a mint Amiga World premiere issue if you'd wish to have me scan some pages.
2x A1000, 2x A2000, 1x A3000, 4x A1200, 3x A500, 1x CDTV, 1x CD32, 2x Pegasos II, 1x EFIKA

Offline trip6

• Show only replies by trip6
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 08:52:11 PM »
Maybe he is looking for people with large amiga collections to display them in the film and display some of the key software and technology that Amiga had to offer from the users perspective... For me it was all about the games... Also, Amiga was the computer I took to college in the early 90's. It blew away the early 386 pc's they were using on campus. Looking forward to seeing this film. Remember amiga is an international phenomenon, if you include the international scenes like Canada, UK, Germany, Norway, Sweden, etc. it will interest more people.

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 03:44:40 AM »
Quote from: Amiduffer;569402
What's really needed is a good documentary about the Corporate insanity that took a cutting edge technology and squandered it. A how-to-not-destroy your company product. You could make a nice cloak and dagger Who-dunnit out of the post-Commodore rollercoaster, especially with Ryan and A.inc. 8) That stuff is right out of the cheeziest B-Grade mystery thriller, almost. "The Curse of the Commodore Corpse" would make a good title.
that's ok and is certainly part of Amiga history, but what is almost Never seen or talked about is the effect Amiga and Amiga users had on the way things are NOW done in film / TV.

everyone who got an Amiga in the early days was a pioneer. and we did have an effect on how artists get their work out

for a long time if you wanted to do graphics and optical effects for film you had to be hired by studios. The equipment was expensive. only large studios could afford all that.

once Amiga's came out and were - relatively speaking - affordable for nearly anyone, that changed everything. I had to save up for my Amiga 2000 but it was worth it. I could see that films by the regular person could be done. I literally could see it back then. We didn't have to be slaves to corporations. We could create our own visions.

small groups of artists like the one I joined could buy a few Amiga's and start hiring themselves out as special effects shops. Not an easy career, but worth all the effort.
this is the real gift Amiga brought.

which is why I find all the whining about hardware THIS and Software THAT, and blah blah blah really boring.

Amiga's legacy is not about how many machines were sold. It was how it changed an industry.
and nothing anyone says can take that away.
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline Bigbronc

• Show only replies by Bigbronc
    • http://www.AnyNameAnyState.com
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 02:46:46 PM »
Great Idea, I want to help, I have a working Toaster and have a long history with the Amiga. Let me know what I can do to help. I want in.
:python:

Offline orb85750

• Show only replies by orb85750
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 04:54:54 PM »
Do you have a marketing plan for the documentary?  Targeted to television? or DVD direct to end user?

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 02:33:58 AM »
@orb

Got a few different options on the table, it all just depends on how attractive to a general audience the film winds up being. According to the script it sure is, but we will see. Of course it will interest tech junkies and gamers...the fact that Wired even posted about OS 4.1 was pretty impressive to me, so I don't think we'll have too much trouble getting a sizeable audience of some kind. I have some connections with the G4 network.

so

1. We might sell it to a cable network, like "Chasing Ghosts" was bought by Showtime
2. We might try some kind of online distributor like E-Z Takes who lets you download a burnable DVD. Or a streaming indie movie site.
3. We might just sell it ourselves at a reasonable price along with merchandise. There will be some pretty cool t-shirts available. It will be worth owning.

Theatrical distrubution is unlikely, though one of my partners seems to think I'm underestimating the film's appeal. It is after all, a compelling story and will be very attractively made, given all my resources and partners who are established pros in television and graphics.

A big part of me just wants to keep with the DIY Amiga spirit and self-distribute. That would be most satisfying. Just gotta see what we wind up with. My expectations are pretty high!

-Z