Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: X1000 Nemo Rev. 2 Motherboard in Production  (Read 28147 times)

Description:

Offline mechy

Re: X1000 Nemo Rev. 2 Motherboard in Production
« on: March 21, 2011, 08:43:57 PM »
Its beyond me how anyone can get excited over any of this? I mean we have a grossly overpriced board,with mediocre specs. Its has a somewhat useless xorro(lol) bus thats is PCI-E..so why not call it PCI-E FFS! pci-e is all good and great if there is drivers for anything.

I suspect its the same clowns that get excited over commodore-usa offerings.

Jack had it right - computers for the masses,not the classes!

Mech

Quote from: MaximvsPayne;622940
London, 18th March 2011

With the production of AmigaOne X1000  Beta test boards in progress, A-EON technology is pleased to release  schematics of the final revision 2 Nemo motherboard layout.  In true  "Amiga tradition" the lead designers have added their signatures to the  Nemo motherboard. We are also pleased to reveal details of the upgraded  XENA subsystem featuring a 500MHz, dual-core XS1-L2 XMOS chip. Please  check out the latest images of the revision 2 Nemo and XENA schematics  in the Media gallery on the A-EON Technology website.

http://www.a-eon.com/index.html

Offline mechy

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 09:28:04 PM »
Do you understand what the x1000 is? its no more amiga than any pc with amiga stickers or a SAM board for that matter. Its made from off the shelf parts for the most part. it may be they "tied" all of the parts together, but its basically a PPC board with a pci-e expansion bus that is for... hmmm what use was this again? lol its not very fast by todays standards and certainly won't be by the time its released.too bad they didnt team up with natami and dump some resources there.
I give them credit for trying to do something different,but the cost($2000usd~) and the fact it has almost nothing to do with amiga other than supposedly running os4x makes me wonder why.
there's nothing new,special or incredible like the original A1000.I have to wonder if people read the specs on their site.

and your welcome for the insight mr clown :) you really should have those eyes looked at. heh

mech

Quote from: klx300r;623553
wow..thanks for your very insightful post:rolleyes:

FWIW, this 'clown' wants nothing to do with off the shelf PC's with Amiga stickers on them

Offline mechy

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
Obviously we can only know what aeon lets us know,and i have read their site.thats how i came to the conclusion this is nothing special.the obscure xorro bus is useless unless there are drivers to drive some unknown hardware plugged in...which doesn't exhist.

you can call it your new blender if you like.it doesn't make it amiga.But im sure you'll get yer boing stickers and such out to plaster all over the generic pc tower its in.the A1000 was something that had not been seen or thought of,it was custom built from scratch.the 3 main custom chips were built from scratch.

The original amiga 1000 had some custom chips you may of heard of,denise,agnus,paula etc.. ever heard of these?. so no its not valid.the x1000 is off the shelf parts.it bring nothing new to the field currently other than a dual core processor and some xmos stuff tacked on.

so that leaves me wondering if you've ever touched a real amiga let alone know what it is. lol

mech

Quote from: Dandy;623683
No - not yet.
But I will get one to find precisely that out. So the A1 X1k currently is interesting enough to me to get one and to find out more about it.

And you?

It will be MY NEW AMIGA.
That's all that counts for me...
You are of course free to think of it what you want...

This is also valid for the original A1000s from 1985and all subsequent C= Amiga models. Or do you honestly think all the resistors, capacitors, jacks and even the cpu have been designed and produced exclusively for the Amiga line of computers by C=?

So what?

And I have to wonder if YOU read the specs on their site...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 02:59:25 PM by mechy »

Offline mechy

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
Quote from: AmigaNG;623709
Because I believe :) But also because of some of details I've read in Amiga Future, because there does general feel that there is a lot more interest in this system than say the Sam systems, because I have talked too and seen a lot of users who have not say yet got an OS4 system (like myself) really consider getting this one, and because hardware wise it gives OS4 a much better future than being stuck on old Amigas or old Macs.

"It's almost 25 years since Commodore released the A1000 model that launched the line in the summer of 1985, and with the launch of the X1000 we will usher in a new beginning for the AmigaOS platform. Just as Commodore did with the A1000, we're aiming at the high-end first, with a powerful desktop computer aimed at the professional and serious hobbyist markets"

I see no problem their.

"The launch of the A1000 offered something new, and the X1000 will do the same."

How many other computers features a Xmos chip, Xorro Expansion Slot, and a Dual Core PA6T-1682M PPC 64Bit 2Ghz processor?

"the X1000 will once more make the AmigaOS platform the best choice for truly creative and unique applications. it is this return of AmigaOS to the high-end that truly ushers in a new beginning."

Hopeful we will see something unique with the Xmos chip and the power of the X1000 should be enough for any type of demanding app like Blender or Hollywood so basically hardware wont be the problem, it will be all software getting better GFX drives, making the OS Dual Core and writing the apps to take full advantage of the hardware is going to be the difficult part.

What you have described is the typical,everyday modern PC,except its specs are way slower and has a xmos chip tacked on thats of no practical use currently.. OH! and costs what,nearly 4X as much..LOL

Offline mechy

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 02:52:16 PM »
Pointing out the shortcomings of this is not pessimism,its just the facts ma'am!

The issue is not weather they will built it or not, i give them credit for taking on a project like this. what i dislike is the reference to the A1000 they make,trying to pull it off as something new. its not new,i would say other than the dual core processor,this is nothing more special that a PEG II.
It has nothing exciting,new or revolutionary as the A1000 did.its not the amiga savior.Either people have their blinders on or just ignore the facts.I'm all for moving forward but this is the same old regurgitated stuff in a pretty package.

Mech

Quote from: Iggy;623750
I'd like to address the pessimism that has persistently haunted this thread. The X1000 will be built. The components have already been purchased so it would be foolish not to finish the project.
Also, you all keep acting like A-eon is Trevor Dickinson's project alone. He has two partner (one an old friend of his the other Ben Hermans of Hyperion).
There will only be a limited number of X1000s. PA6T processor are now a rare commodity. So future models will probably be based on other PPCs (one possibility being the P5 processors from Freescale).

You all pontificate on missed target dates and BS about popcorn, but you fail to understand that these guys are serious. They wouldn't have invested their money in the components, and the design, if they weren't.
Don't like the system? Aren't going to buy one? Fine. There won't be that many produced and I'm sure they'll have no problem selling every one.