Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: X1000 Nemo Rev. 2 Motherboard in Production  (Read 27911 times)

Description:

Offline Boudicca

• Show only replies by Boudicca
Re: X1000 Nemo Rev. 2 Motherboard in Production
« Reply #104 from previous page: March 22, 2011, 07:15:50 PM »
I'm struggling to see why anyone is "Dissin" the X1000, compare against this, compare against that, as much as anyone likes, but whatever a PC super spec'ed or not, it is worth $1 at a car boot or ebay in less than 10 years time. The X1000 even if it is used will be worth 5 or more times the purchase price in the same period.

Anyone flogging any Amiga compatible device for peanuts at the moment, must get a grip and put it back in the cupboard its only going to appreciate not depreciate. Amiga has already been to the $1 mark and has been climbing ever since.

I really cannot see how its an equal comparison. One is a commodity the other is a speciality, commodities never have any value beyond their purchase price.

The Amiga X1000 is infinitely more collectable unlike a CUSA based pc which is worth only the case.
was Enterprise Vault (Its an Exchange Fail!), now its EMC Avamar, Dedupe for mostly everything including brain cells.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2011, 07:30:31 PM »
@ Boudiccia

After spending the past 7 weeks buying old Vic20, C64 & Amiga stuff you've got that right, all this stuff is forever going up and up in price and looks set to continue... :)

The only thing I've found on eBay at the moment where the prices are going through the roof other than the Amiga are SNES RPG games bought several over the past few weeks and all have been well over £100 each, some are even fetching over £300 right now.

Tempting as it might be I aint selling a thing SNES or CBM again as it's costing me a small fortune getting my collections back together that I sold off years ago due to lack of space, lesson learned, never again... :)

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2011, 10:53:06 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;623840
If you feel he's trolling, report it.

good point:idea:
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2011, 12:36:53 AM »
Quote from: the_leander;623813
......... at least offered a semi sane price tag.

Sane prices and anything related to the Amiga community are contradictions of terms.  :)
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2011, 01:30:07 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;623957
Sane prices and anything related to the Amiga community are contradictions of terms.  :)

I'll bite, what do you consider "sane" pricing as far as Amigas are concerned?
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2011, 02:45:27 AM »
Quote from: dammy;623971
I'll bite, what do you consider "sane" pricing as far as Amigas are concerned?

I don't think its fair to expect small production runs of relatively specialized boards to be price competitive with mass merchandised PC motherboards.

Sane? Are any of us sane?

I'm actually looking at a motherboard that would be half as fast as the X1000 with a single core processor. And it would still cost hundreds more than a cheap X86.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2011, 02:51:50 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;623991
I don't think its fair to expect small production runs of relatively specialized boards to be price competitive with mass merchandised PC motherboards.

Sane? Are any of us sane?

I'm actually looking at a motherboard that would be half as fast as the X1000 with a single core processor. And it would still cost hundreds more than a cheap X86.

Exactly my point!  None of us are sane to be spending the amount of time and money we do on outdated, underpowered computer systems that can't do any tasks that cheaper and faster systems could do.

But I don't mind being insane so much and sometimes I actually am proud of it.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2011, 03:36:56 AM »
@Thread

ODFG, Really guys.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2011, 04:13:02 AM »
Quote from: Argo;623999
@Thread

ODFG, Really guys.

Oregon Department of Fish and Game? I can't find a definition for that acronym/abbreviation (ODFG). What's it mean?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Dandy

• Show only replies by Dandy
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
« Reply #113 on: March 23, 2011, 09:58:41 AM »
Quote from: AmigaNG;623709

Hopeful we will see something unique with the Xmos chip and the power of the X1000 should be enough

What do you think of my idea for a project that could make good use of Xena/Xorro:
steam operated model steam locomotive in H0 scale
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #114 on: March 23, 2011, 10:21:51 AM »
Quote from: Dandy;624049
What do you think of my idea for a project that could make good use of Xena/Xorro:

Oi! That was my idea!
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Dandy

« Reply #115 on: March 23, 2011, 01:32:58 PM »
Quote from: mechy;623746

Obviously we can only know what aeon lets us know,and i have read their site.thats how i came to the conclusion this is nothing special.

You're right as long as you compare the A1 X1k to the latest developments on e.g. the WIntel side.
But we are talking about our Amiga hobby here.
And as soon as you compare the A1 X1k to all other existing Amiga incarnations it is special and thrilling - at least for me and some others.

the obscure xorro bus is useless unless there are drivers to drive some unknown hardware plugged in...which doesn't exhist.

Having already read the last sentence of this posting I now could reply with some doubts regarding you having ever used an Amiga, but that's not what I'm aiming at.
When I had my first Amiga back in 1988/89, it was common that users had new ideas of what could be done with this machine and REALISED them. They did not wait for others to do it for them. I see this situation in the best Amiga tradition. So do not moan about the uselessness of the Xorro bus - come up with ideas what it could be used for and how!

You can call it your new blender if you like.it doesn't make it amiga.

Do you really want the discussion of "What is an Amiga?" here?

But im sure you'll get yer boing stickers and such out to plaster all over the generic pc tower its in.

I don't mind "generic PC towers" as long as they meet my need for expandability.
And - btw - the case of my towered A4kD-PPC just has one sticker on it: "Powered by Amiga".

the A1000 was something that had not been seen or thought of,it was custom built from scratch.

I dare to disagree here.
It was NOT custom built from the scratch - just think of all the capacitors and resistors inside - and also the MC68000 cpu - none of them was specifically designed for use in Amigas.

the 3 main custom chips were built from scratch. The original amiga 1000 had some custom chips you may of heard of,denise,agnus,paula etc..

..., which are outdated today. That's why I replaced them with a pci graphics card (Voodoo4) and a pci sound card (Terratec 512i digital) in my A4kPPC.

ever heard of these?.

Not just that - I also used them long enough to get my eyes spoiled by them (Agnus & Denise & CBM 1081).

so no its not valid.

Of course you are free to have your own opinion - but it does not change the fact that I see it this way.

the x1000 is off the shelf parts.

The A1k also was mainly built from "off the shelf parts" from my POV.

it bring nothing new to the field currently other than a dual core processor and some xmos stuff tacked on.

Dual core cpu's, 64 bit and "some xmos stuff" actually IS new to the Amiga field.

so that leaves me wondering if you've ever touched a real amiga let alone know what it is. lol

mech

I think I already replied to this quite at the beginning of this posting.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 01:35:12 PM by Dandy »
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline Dandy

« Reply #116 on: March 23, 2011, 01:44:42 PM »
Quote from: mechy;623757

Pointing out the shortcomings of this is not pessimism,its just the facts ma'am!
The issue is not weather they will built it or not, i give them credit for taking on a project like this. what i dislike is the reference to the A1000 they make,trying to pull it off as something new. its not new,i would say other than the dual core processor,this is nothing more special that a PEG II.
It has nothing exciting,new or revolutionary as the A1000 did.its not the amiga savior.Either people have their blinders on or just ignore the facts.

Sorry - but calling dual core cpus, 64 bit and xena "not new in Amiga field" is just ignorant.

Quote from: mechy;623757

I'm all for moving forward but this is the same old regurgitated stuff in a pretty package.

Really?
When has it been available before?
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

Offline Iggy

« Reply #117 on: March 23, 2011, 01:48:56 PM »
Thanks Dandy,
All points that needed to be made. This is a new and exciting system with a lot of features that have never been tried in the Amiga market. I too am looking forward to it.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #118 on: March 23, 2011, 02:16:18 PM »
Quote from: Dandy;624049

If (and I mean IF) that actually is a good use for an XMOS chip it also is a perfect example of why the intregration on the mobo makes no sense.

You would have to place your 2000Euro X1000 really close to your H0-set running several non-hotplug wires in between both.

Use an existing XMOS-kit connect it via USB or Ethernet (both provide more than enough throughput for 1 lowres videolink and a bunch of signals) and you will not only reduce the risk of killing your expensive kit, but you might even get away with useing a less expensive one (honestly that were HW like the Efika or the Beagleboard would be optimal).
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #119 on: March 23, 2011, 05:11:08 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;623957

Well for example, I don't recall the Pegasos 2 to be "insanely priced" for its specifications/performance back in 2004. Sure, maybe somewhat high priced on the introduction in comparison to cheap-end x86, but never insane, and it actually dropped gradually during its entire time in the market.

The lowest price for a new Pegasos 2 happened just before it left the market; $399 (incl 1GHz G4 CPU card).
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)