Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alien Breed TC for BOOM based DOOM Engines & Such.  (Read 20063 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: Alien Breed TC for BOOM based DOOM Engines & Such.
« on: June 08, 2012, 09:00:03 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;695543
I was hoping that I would have a small demo to upload, or a video, but at the last minute I ran into a few issues, so it's going to be a day or two longer (fingers crossed).

For what ever reason, despite the fact that I have been through the source files of AB3D II a million times, there are a couple textures I've yet to locate, and I'm finding it utterly difficult to track down all the sounds.

I'm sure I have all the game assets somewhere and several I created for my AB3D2 mod.

I found scores of them, but ironically NOTHING for that Red Alien that shows up at the very beginning of both AB3D games. Irony of ironies!!!

Definitely got that guy, I remember trying to create a lightmapped version of him for the AB3D2 engine but he almost always ended up looking black with the odd specular highlight.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: Alien Breed TC for BOOM based DOOM Engines & Such.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 07:42:59 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;695960
First off, thankx! Anything you see out of place in this or upcoming demos, please feel free to critique or ask about. I can use an extra set of eyes for things like this.

No ducking unless this feature is later added to the Amiga port of BOOM. This can be pulled of with ZDOOM and GzDOOM amongst others, but until the Amiga port of BOOM supports it, I will not be supporting it.

3D Floors are totally doable. It's a hack in reality, but I can do it. You'll be seeing one example of that when I finish off the textures, sounds, and sprites needed for map one. After that I will move on to map 2 which features a 3D floor right off the bat.

Room above room will be totally doable, but again with a hack that the player won't notice anyhow.

Um... I had a mental list of things that I could not do, but I can't think of any more items at the moment, though I do recall that none of them should really have any major impact upon the game.

On that note I will be able to add features to Alien Breed that the old AB engine could not do, though I think I'll be saving those features for the post map 16 maps as I want to keep the first 16 levels as true to form as possible.

If you would like an example (though not fully completed and ready) of what the BOOM engine adds to the DOOM sources that AB could do, but classic DOOM could not; go to the room in map 1 with the pool of water.

The water is scrolling on the surface as it does in AB3D. You can jump into the water just like AB3D, and the water slows down your character. Again just like AB3D. The only thing I have not gotten around to adding yet is the blue fog effect that you would see in AB3D while submerged in water. Also I'd like to adjust the lighting in that section as well as replace the water texture with something with a lighter blue. The one from FreeDOOM that I am currently using just doesn't fit in.

Do these newer doom engines do stuff like smooth shading between the vertices in a sector? Both AB3D and AB3D2 used this (the latter much moreso) to create some nice faux lighting effects.
int p; // A