Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: RESOLVED: LHA and Directory Opus issues  (Read 4389 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_H

Re: LHA and Directory Opus issues
« on: September 07, 2020, 03:32:58 PM »
What’s the error message upon failure?
Also remember that LhA_e138.run (I assume that’s the version you have, from Aminet) is old. Basically, you should only use it to extract the current LhA (http://aminet.net/package/util/arc/lha_68k) as a replacement.

Or if you have another (fully configured) machine just copy LhA over from that.

Offline Matt_H

Re: LHA and Directory Opus issues
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 05:46:14 PM »
As a guy that spends a lot of time authoring training documentation of processes and procedures for my company I am appalled at the lack of coherent and complete documentation found on the Net.  And to be fair this is not an Amiga thing, Linux documentation is pretty terrible as well and causes a lot of pain when it isn't necessary.  I can only imagine how many people give up on classic Amigas simply because they can't figure it out due to lack of decent documentation.  Sad really

Agreed! I think I've bemoaned this situation a few times as well. I feel like it's especially problematic on the OS4 and MorphOS side, which I think is at least partially responsible for why those platforms haven't taken off as they should. We can be an insular group, we Amigans, assuming that other users know what we know, so it's important for us to take a pause and recognize that may not always be the case and that the only way to grow the community is to make it accessible to newcomers. Credit where credit is due, though: the MorphZone library has become a pretty good (if little-known) resource more recently. And I think @olsen is one of the best documentation writers on the planet.

Offline Matt_H

Re: RESOLVED: LHA and Directory Opus issues
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 11:06:03 PM »
As I see it, a challenge for the community is to overcome this general indifference to documentation, this feeling that documentation isn't necessary because things are obvious or "not important enough".

[Getting a little more off topic here...]
But that's still a far better position to be in than outright hostility to documentation. I used to write corporate process/procedure documentation, too, until the head of my department decided it was a waste of resources and threw out the entire effort--including everything already written. Surprise! All our procedures broke down, no one knew who had decision-making authority, and the company nearly bankrupted itself.

So I'm a big believer in the importance of documentation :)

Offline Matt_H

Re: RESOLVED: LHA and Directory Opus issues
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 06:04:40 PM »
If you're any level of Star Trek fan, I highly recommend this Twitter account for managerial inspiration/aspiration. :)