Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Article on the future of Amiga Computing  (Read 2454 times)

Description:

Offline theformulaTopic starter

Article on the future of Amiga Computing
« on: March 14, 2009, 01:45:58 AM »
I have written an article about my opions on the future of amiga computing and where it belongs in the modern world. I in the process of adding many article I have wrote online.

I have also added my old Amiga EEE Pc 701 installation guides to  Waavoo and will be taking the offline.EEEAmiga site offline.

Future of Amiga computing Article

Amikit EEE PC 701 Installation Guide

Amigasys EEE PC 701 Installation Guide
A1200T Blizzard 1240/040/128MB Mediator Voodoo 3
A4000 Cyberstorm MkIII Picasso IV
A1200 020 Viper 8mb
Macmini G4 Morphos 3.1
2x A4000/030 Stock

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
Re: Article on the future of Amiga Computing
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 03:54:02 AM »
Good article. A couple of grammatical errors and misspellings, but other than that, the article was well done.

Is win!
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline BigBenAussie

• Show only replies by BigBenAussie
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 09:11:09 AM »
@theformula

I think you overstate the possibilities of finally having a modern web browser for an AmigaOS. Yes this will give you access to various apps, but only apps of final resort (as long as you have internet access) and a native version will always trump a web app in terms of speed. The OS4 version of any web browser will always be behind x86 web browsers which are now having javascript performance increases due to JIT compilation and specific x86 performance techniques that just aren't possible on PPC without a tonne of effort, if it is possible at all. There is no magic bullet to get an AmigaOS web browsers on a level playing field with the mainstream short of an x86 port, which isn't going to happen, unless you count AROS.

I think the only way to get an Amiga to stand out is to adopt a new approach to UI (perhaps a ZUI), which is going to break a lot of compatability, bring naysayers out of the woodwork, and simply not please everyone. The slickness of the eye-candy attracted a lot of people to Macs, and that is antithetical to the view a lot of Amigans hold, so the platform cannot keep up let alone take a new and radical approach. Then again, nothing says Workbench can't be optionally replaced.

Offline Glaucus

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 06:10:58 PM »
The slickness of the eye-candy attracted a lot of people to Macs, and that is antithetical to the view a lot of Amigans hold, so the platform cannot keep up let alone take a new and radical approach.
Interestingly, it is because the Amiga was radically different and full of eye candy that got it started back in the mid 80s. Back then it attracted the artists and gamers who exploited it's unique capabilities. But the artists have abandoned the platform for greener pastures, those left behind marvel at the efficiency of a system that can't compete with modern systems. Sure the internal design of the Amiga is a textbook case on how to do so many things right, and because of that the Amiga could have scaled much better in today's world, but it never had the chance. Anyway, my point is, the Amiga can only stand out once again with radical changes and enough eye candy that will blow everyone's socks off. And who knows, perhaps this economic calapse can give room to new opportunities? One can hope I guess.
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE