Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Merlancia.com server changes.  (Read 3418 times)

Description:

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
Re: Merlancia.com server changes.
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2002, 03:42:27 PM »
I found Harv's response the more entertaining one, however, lets do the point by point thing, using your outline.

1 (What I know about Merlancia):

What I know is all I need to know, you have made promises for a long time, and never delivered anything, except you sell some 68k market products and are a frequent subject of complaint by your customers.  You say thats about to change, well good, when it changes, then it has changed.  Until then, things are the same.

2 (Who is Merlancia)

That is more people than just you and your mom.  Good..but it does not indicate a company that has a team of engineers working on new products, or even one engineer working on a new product.

3 (Comments on Amiga, Inc.)

Unlike some people who never admit when they are wrong, I have to concede this point. Everyone is equally qualified to criticize Amiga, Inc.

4 (Moobunny)

Moobunny did a great service to the Amiga community.  You see, you were not defamed or slandered.  As a lover of words, you should realize those words have specific meaning and imply dishonesty.  Whether or not some tiny point could be criticized, I do not know, but the main thrust of the site was simply to show actual photographs of your operations.   The word debunked was the accurate word to use, as you were divested of your pretentiousness.

5 (merlancia.com)

I was actually referring to merlanciausa.com, but either way you are wrong.  It is wonderful to classify a web site as a work of art, but nevertheless a website is more than just form, it also has function.
Many large websites have some small glitches...but rarely does a professionally built site constantly assault its readership with dead ends and false navigation paths.  It is a sign of an unprofessional site, and you've been in this habit for a long time.  As a person who has worked on a moderately successful 2 mil+ e-commerce site, I know that this level of professionalism is unacceptable in the real world.  Amiga, Inc. is no better.  If some of the people in here think otherwise, goody for them, I think they do you a disservice by giving you false expectations.. the non-zealots will be negatively impressed by all the dead links, presumably you want someone to buy into your site.

6 (Who is your client)

Read back to point two, you confirm you are in the 68k market, a market you describe as being 'pitiful'.
Its always a bad sign when a person derides their own main source of business.   You wish to call someone an idiot, fine, but the biggest people you consider to be idiots are your own customers for not being smart enough to abandon 68k already.

I don't think there is any danger I will be your customer.  But I am a community member here at Amiga.org, and I will warn other community members that this merlancia hoax as been going on for years, and so far, the main thing you have done is sell a few classic Amiga products at high prices with frequent complaints by your own customers about your responsiveness.

I hope all amiga.org members will check out the moobunny articles and decide for themselves.

Offline IndoroTopic starter

• Show only replies by Indoro
    • http://www.merlancia.com
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2002, 03:46:58 PM »
I just checked the site and I don't see what should be wrong with it. So what if there are a few broken links? It is on the proces of updating, rigth? I don't know Merlancia but it seems I should keep checking it a lot. I saw some nice products there. I just checked the site and I don't see what should be wrong with it. So what if there are a few broken links? It is on the proces of updating, rigth? I don't know Merlancia but it seems I should keep checking it a lot. I saw some nice products there.

We are updating the products section this week. Some fo the rest of the site will start going online as well.

if you note, there are no trully "broken" links. There are no 404 errors anyway. There are a lot of directories that are forbidden at this time, because we are not yet ready to reveal their contents. There is a huge difference between a broken link, and a link to a protected directory. Some people do have access to these directories, on a different site with a login prompt. ;)

Coder
hmmm that pic of Kramer reminded me of the epi with the cuban cigars. Wich leads me to the fact that I still have to arrange a few for next week.

Kramer is a symbol of my philosophy. a somewhat misunderstood, odd individual that was very sharp and intelligent. That's a scn of the Cigar Afficianado issue with Michael Richards, in case you were wondering. (I am an avid cigar smoker myself.)

TTFN,

//R//

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2002, 03:50:52 PM »
First an utterly moronic question: Will it run OS4?

That is a question that remains to be answered. OS4 is a hypothetical product at the moment, even for the AmigaOne/MAI systems. Until it is finished, who knows what it will run on.

Seconldly: Got any plans for a dual G4 Amiga?

Yes. Both single and dual 74xx series systems are planned, as well as systems with different IBM components.

//R//

Offline MarkTime

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2002, 04:08:08 PM »
Yes. Both single and dual 74xx series systems are planned, as well as systems with different IBM components.

Lets make this simple.

If it sounds cool, he has 'plans' to deliver it.
Everything that is broken in public has a fix in private.
Every promise broken is someone elses fault.

This is the same old/same old that we've heard for years.  When in doubt, promise more.

The purpose of this news article is to funnel more people into his site, not as a service for his existing site readership, as he suggests!   That suggestion is flat out wrong on the fact of it! Guess what, if he only wanted to talk to his own site readership, all 4 of those people, he could have just made the announcement on his own site...imagine about hitting your target market!

No, he posted at amiga.org because his target was amiga.org members...DUH!

All I'm saying is why when you all go over there, just do so with a word of caution, he does this over and over again...its all nonsense.

He puts release dates in there, he's done that before, it means absolutely nothing.

Offline ikir

• Show only replies by ikir
    • http://www.ikirsector.it
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2002, 04:17:42 PM »
That is a question that remains to be answered. OS4 is a hypothetical product at the moment, even for the AmigaOne/MAI systems. Until it is finished, who knows what it will run on.

Yes. But when OS4 comes out, you MUST support it. for you interest, and for amiga future.

I'm adding merlancia link to my website :-)

Offline MarkTime

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2002, 04:32:57 PM »
BTW, I have no doubt and I am not suggesting that Ryan will be able to resell the Teron boards available from many other sources.  And those same cpu modules that are sold many other places, he may carry them as well.

However, I always suggest you rate a re-seller by their ability to serve and support their customers...not by their prediliction for grandoise announcements.

Personally, I like terrasoft as being the most reliable and most reasonable for purchasing a Teron Board.
They don't even claim to be in the amiga market, but a teron board is a teron board.

If I did wish to guarantee that os 4 compatibility, which I agree is so speculative right now, but then I'd have to buy an A/One, and would glady to do so from a more well established and 'mature' (did ya get the double meaning)....site like compuquick or software hut.

Offline Troels_E

• Show only replies by Troels_E
    • http://www.amigabounty.net
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2002, 05:43:30 PM »
Hi..
First off all I like your site design, but have a VERY hard time believing that any of you PPC prouicts actually exist (even in prototype form), I wil offcourse gladly take these words back when/if you show us some cool stuff :-)

Well, OS4 is currently beeing betatested, so things look quite bright regarding a release date.

You probably know the licensing details better than I do, but as OS4 is getting close maybe you should get in contact with Hyperion and provide them with some of your hardware and documantation?
The bounty site for AmigaOS4 www.amigabounty.net

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2002, 05:55:43 PM »
Disgusting, First Eyetechs main man insults and attacks people now someone from Merlancia is insulting people,

What the hell is wrong with Amiga companies, do you want peoples custom?

No wonder the Amiga is dead and considered a joke in the real world when the companies have nothing better to do than come on forums attacking people and banging  the bishop.

Offline MarkTime

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2002, 06:15:38 PM »
well, now, his prototypical products are the pegasos and/or the teron CX/PX, etc...as he is just a reseller.  So I can believe he has prototypes in that regard, since the pegasos is a real product.

He announced sometime ago that he has a partnership with bPlan.  

the term partnership is a fast and loose term that could mean anything, but the point is, the products he intends to resell are on the market, so I don't see why he won't be reselling them as well as the 68k stuff.  The other american resellers, compuquick, softhut, are doing the same.

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show only replies by Herewegoagain
    • Http://www.ncscaug.us
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2002, 06:20:14 PM »
Disgusting, First Eyetechs main man insults and attacks people now someone from Merlancia is insulting people,

And let's not forget the longest standing insulter in the Amiga community, Ralph Schmidt.  He use to talk to people like that regularly on the Compuserve forums.  The very reason I have no interest in MorphOS today.
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2002, 07:21:38 PM »
No, we will not simply be selling Pegasos boards. We have additional design work, both electronic and industrial that is going into what we are producing. And no, I don't mean 'selling'.

We aren't just taking off the shelf parts and slapping them together.

M68k based Amiga sales are pitiful, as a source of income anyway. The M68k community is not pitiful, save mayhaps for a select few individuals. It is the sales of 68k Amiga hardware and software that are pitiful.

For now, MorphOS is what we will be working with. If and when AmigaOS 4 is ready, we will work with it. Linux is an option for those that want is, as may be BeOS.

When the people see, touch and feel these products, they will recognise that they are immediately "Amiga". Something creative, different, elegant and sexy.

//RC//

Offline MarkTime

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2002, 08:01:12 PM »
Personally, I have decided to consider MorphOS, as sick as I am of waiting on Amiga, Inc....but only the very old 0.4Beta is available for download....

Has it become a commercial product?  It's supposedly at 1.0, or 1.1. with 1.2 right on its heals, but how do you buy it???

Only bundled with a motherboard?  If that is the case, they need to announce their huge change in direction and stop criticizing Amiga, Inc. for essentially having the exact same scheme with OS 4.

I know it supports classic Amiga, but I don't know how you buy it anymore, maybe someone can enlighten me, also do they support the Amiga One and the Boxer...again, if not, why not.....

Offline zacman

• Show only replies by zacman
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2002, 08:44:30 PM »
>Has it become a commercial product? It's
>supposedly at 1.0, or 1.1. with 1.2 right on its heals,
>but how do you buy it???

The current MorphOS ships with every Pegasos
board.

>I know it supports classic Amiga, but I don't know
>how you buy it anymore

According to Gerald Carda of bplan at the Aachen
show the MorphOS version for PowerUp hardware
(BlizzPPC/CybPPC) will "probably be for free".

MorphOS may also support Mac hardware in the
future.

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2002, 10:11:43 PM »
Less talk more action.

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2002, 11:33:37 PM »
pathetic. simply pathetic.

Both the site content (the layout is pretty neat, IMO) and the firm itself.

The difference between you and AInc is the latter having brought something to the community at least.

You deserve no credit until you deliver something *consistent* than a photoshopped walker.

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 27, 2002, 08:49:46 AM »
You seriously think that Amiga, Inc. has added to the community? Gad, are you lost! Amiga's done more to sabotage the Amiga hardware line than anyone possibly could. Look at Amiga, Inc. "behind the scenes".
 And, in Bill's pockets! Look at Bill. Bill has lots of toys for his kids. Uh, oh! No wonder Bill didn't make a holiday entrance. Bill's buried under all those toys he bought with Amiga money. :) Is that like Monopoly money????? Too bad his employees didn't get some of that loot. :( What? Bill's "borrowing" money  from investors and delivering nothing? And, what happened to Amiga's offices? Does everyone at Amiga work from home? Is that the equivalent of the home "front"?
:smack:  :smack:  :smack: