Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SAMs 440/460  (Read 9884 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
Re: SAMs 440/460
« on: January 25, 2011, 04:51:22 PM »
Quote from: JJ;608981
I can very truthfully say I have and will  not pay that sort of money for a Sam board when for a fraction of the cost I can and have got a mac mini which is more powerful (not as expandable I admit) and run a better next gen AmigaOS in the form of MorphOS

Yeah, I'm looking at new parts for my Powermac. I already have a Soundblaster Llive, an Nec based 2.0 card, now I want to upgrade from a Radeon 9200 to a 9100 and add an SATA controller.

For the price of a bare SAM, I could buy two completely outfitted Mac.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 10:38:28 PM »
Quote from: yakumo9275;608990
If I wanted a macmini or powermac I'd get one. I've run morphos on efika. I'm not interested in another lowspec box with radeon9250 with 32mb memory when I can put a radeon hd 4650 1gb on the sam and run 2gb ram. macmini needs a better video card and it would be really sweet.

this is just for hobby, so if I was not gonna build a sam I'd be building a semi automatic rifle. shrugs, 99% of my time would still be spent on my quad core 16gb ram dev workstation.

Are there PCI version of the 4650? I wasn't aware there were. Or are you referring to the SAM460 with its X4 PCk-e slot. I haven't seen a 460 without a PCI video card yet.

Besides, my 1.8 Ghz 7447A will run circles around your SAM.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 01:09:48 AM »
Quote from: yakumo9275;609088
yeah I am talking a pci-e 4650 on the 4x lane of the sam460

yeah, have fun with that awesome radeon 9000. dont choke on that amazing 133mhz bus speed while your back there on the quicksilver.

(typing from my quadcore workstation with 16gb ram and 8tb disk).

I'd only go back to morphos when it has full G5 support with quad cpu and full 64bit VM for memory access. Otherwise I dont particularly want a hand me down macintosh workstation. I have a workstation, I want something small, macmini is nice and small but I am not interested in a mac mini or I would have posted a thread on macmini's. Apparently posting a thread on sam460 was enough to rain on some morphos dudes parades.

right now I'd rather buy an upper receiver and finish building this than a macmini and morphos license

I'd be more worried about trying to run an X16 video card in an X4 skot (never mind the really slow processor in the SAM460).
Care to run comparative benchmarks?

By the way, what's the assault rifle? Lo0ks cool. I'm limited to my lowly Daewoo K2 with a third part stock.

Oh, and on Quad monsters I've got a FoxconnA79A-S with a quad core processor and four X16 PCI-e slots (OK they do operate at X8 when all are occupied, but I'm happy)..

Bet when MorphOS supports G5s and Radeon XT850 XTs , my system will still make yours look like a turtle.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 02:36:06 AM »
Quote from: yakumo9275;609107
maybe you should read the frigging thread from the begining, this thread would not exist if I already owned one to freaking benchmark. I do not own one, I have some money from selling some stuff on ebay, so I thought mmm maybe I could buy a sam 460ex motherboard.. thats a neat idea..

1954 Belgian FN-FAL.

Sure, and I even said, when MoS supports G5's and can use all 16gb ram, I'll be looking at it for sure with bells on! :)

I dont consider macmini video card adequate enough, I had a 128mb ram 9250 on my efika and that was fine with mos. but the common 32mb, no, and even the 64mb on 1.5ghz I dont consider good enough

I've heard of the FN-FAL. Serious kick ass gun.You've got good taste. And yes the Mac Mini doesn't cut it, neither do the Acube boards, and the X1000's way over priced.

The G5s will be limited by the MorphOS development teams statement that the R400 series will be the highest graphic card to be supported for the time being.
Once PCI-e G5s are supported,  hopefully we'll see something better. But I'm not giving up my X86 anytime some.

You should take this a little less seriously. Its a hobby dude and as far as I can tell that's all its likely to ever be. You're coming off as a little overwrought.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 03:53:59 AM »
Quote from: yakumo9275;609129
Take your own advice dude. I started this thread about the SAM because I am interested in the sam460 and amigaos 4.1. You were the one to come in and crap all over it with your my powermac runs circles around sam

Well stated. I am happy with how well my system works, but I am also interested in the SAM. Currently on MorphZone there is a long standing thread on the SAM 460. And I'm really interested in the new processor series that Applied Micro (the manufacturer of the processors in the SAMs) is readying to replace Titan.

I wouldn't want to discourage you, or anyone else in the AOS4.1 market from taking the plunge. The more PPC users there are (regardless of OS camp) strengthen our total market. There is very little complication in porting between all three NG OS'. So, the more the merrier.
Good luck with your project.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 01:41:23 PM »
Quote from: Krashan;609259
AmigaOS 4 has no 3D driver for HD4650.

That is similar to MorphOS' situation with higher cards. When I recently decided to upgrade my Radeon 9200 I ordered a 9100 rather than a 9800XT for the same reason.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 03:06:04 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;609310
very good now I wonder what purpose do posts no 5 and 7 serve in this thread, not to mention others ? hmmm

post no 5, JJ wrote:

"I can very truthfully say I have and will  not pay that sort of money  for a Sam board when for a fraction of the cost I can and have got a mac  mini which is more powerful (not as expandable I admit) and run a  better next gen AmigaOS in the form of MorphOS"

post no 7, Dwyloc wrote:

"Yeah, I'm looking at new parts for my Powermac. I already have a  Soundblaster Llive, an Nec based 2.0 card, now I want to upgrade from a  Radeon 9200 to a 9100 and add an SATA controller.

For the price of a bare SAM, I could buy two completely outfitted Mac.         "

I'm sorry the truth hurts. But Acube boards are both overpriced and underpowered.

That said, they are the only game in town for AOS4 and I don't want to discourage interest in that OS.

Since when does any one party decide who can contribute?

I notice you failed to mention the post where  I mentioned the long standing thread on MorphZone about the SAM460.

It's not that we're intent on denigrating Acube products. its just a matter of comparison.

Frankly I' like to see Acube pick uo the new .PPC465. That looks really promising.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 04:05:34 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;609327
@ Iggy;609321]I'm sorry the truth hurts. But Acube boards are both overpriced and underpowered.

That said, they are the only game in town for AOS4 and I don't want to discourage interest in that OS.

Since when does any one party decide who can contribute?

man you guys just don't give up eh.  Please contribute on a thread that wants you to compare about old Macs running MOS and new Sams running OS4.1![/QUOTE]

Cool! Because while you don't seem to realize it I actually pretty fond of Acube. Like I said, if they pick up the 465 then they'll have an extremely competitive processor. And new hardwatre is definately to be desired over used hardware.
Sooner or later the supply of reliable Mac is going to dry up and I'm hoping to see new boards based on Applied Micros 465 and Freescales 5500 cored processors.

And thee is no real dispute between AOS4 and MorphOS. They're very similar products that make cross porting a breeze. Hey, with a wraper I can run some AOS4 software.

If you really are thinking about a Sam460, go for it.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 03:33:52 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;609751
@ Piru

bit late but thanks for starting another thread instead of hi-jacking this one

Are you going to get a SAM460? I'd love to see some tests run on that.

Basically, the 460EX is a 440 core with an FPU that clocks up to 1.15 Ghz. Its one of Applied Micro's nicer processors. While other 460s may support more PCI-e lanes or a slightly higher speed, they don't all have an FPU. It's a definite improvement over the SAM440.

I also like the 464EX based APM82181, lthough it only has 1 PCI-e lane and is slightly slower (1 Ghz).

And the new Packet ProAPM86190 really looks interesting with its 465 core clocked at uo to 1.5 Ghz.

Let us know what you decide and how things work out.