Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SAMs 440/460  (Read 9876 times)

Description:

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
Re: SAMs 440/460
« on: January 25, 2011, 08:33:16 PM »
Im glad the Morph OS people are so excited about OS4 machines that they post in all the threads.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 11:14:23 PM »
and I imagine my crap off the shelf linux PC will outperform any morph machine without breaking a sweat.

Is this suddenly the late 90's again, where everything was about who have the biggest numbers on a piece of paper ?

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 12:52:11 AM »
Quote from: zylesea;609087
No, it's not the specs on paper, but real life usage. MY 1.5 GHz is fast enough to let me do my everyday things. It is fats enough to do all internet things (think of youtube for example, but also about loading times on heavy pages like maps.google.* or ebay.*. On alow spec maschine these things aint big fun. What about hd video (I can replay 720p with a demanding codec) ? mp3 encoding? compiling? huge pdfs? euae? Hollywood (that one pretty demanding if you actually use it, my last project actually requires more than 1 GHz to run okay). For that I need juice!
I am happy the G4 1500 has enough power to do many things nicely, but I will probably get*an additional G5 once G5 maschines are supported. I see the contrast to low power everyday (also have an Efika which I use much). It is not that you cannot have fun with low power, too (I really like my Efika). But from my experience I can sum it up to a very short formula: the more juice, the better¹.

--
¹ Of course that calculation is a bit blunt, you need to take power consumption, price, size and all these things into consideration. But as long as you sit in front of a monitor a fast system is always better than a slower one. I cannot imagine a single task that runs better on a slow maschine.

But then we're back to "why use any of this stuff, and not just use a modern PC?"

You'll never get the same "juice" out of old mac's that aren't produced anymore.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 02:39:29 AM »
Quote from: zylesea;609108
Easy: Because I can continue to use a computer system I am used to (MorphOS/Amiga) since 20+ years and that just follows my logic. And for these prerequesite I want the best I can get. Maybe it's debatable whether AROS or MorphOS rule here. AROS has the more powerful hw, MorphOS the more matured OS + apps.

Fair enough. Once you qualify your statement, it makes sense.

In time, I imagine AROS will be the end result of all this stuff.